Supplementary Scores

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
As regular forum'ers will know, I'm a big supporter of the handicap system but sometimes CONGU really confuse me with their "wisdom".

Bringing in the Active/Inactive handicaps was a really positive move that should encourage clubs and players to run/play in as many competitions as possible. The only problem with it for me is that it doesn't go far enough and to really achieve the objective (ie handicaps representing a players ability based on scores returned) it should require say 10 scores per year rather than just 3.

Now, from January they are changing the Supplementary score rule to allow anyone (previously cat 2-4 only) to return cards AND are removing the stipulation that you have to have played less than 6 qualifying rounds the year before.

As it stands I think it's a good rule. As proposed I think it just offers an "opt-out" for players not wanting to play comps. Say what you like but it is easier to return a good score when playing without the pressure of a comp so how does this really represent a players ability if all the deductions are based on these scores? Not to mention the players who will attempt to abuse this for the 0.1's etc. and the policing of this that will be required. Sometimes I just think officials don't understand the real world.

To me, one rule is trying to encourage one thing and the other exactly the opposite. Any views?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does this mean I'll be able to hand in cards playing in friendly games?

Do I have to declare my intention to do so before I go out, or can I just hand it in if it's a good one and bin it if it's a shocker?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it is encouraging people, who are playing well and want to get their handicaps cut and gives them the opportuinty to hand in a card rather than waiting for the next comp (or maybe they can't play in the next comp)....I think it is quite a good change.

I don't agree with Cat 1 players being able to hand them in, because you should really only allowed to be Cat 1 if you're playing in regular competitions and so you're handicap should be correct ('under competition conditions')....

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't see the problem. More cards = more accurate h'cap.
I put in a s-card a couple of weeks back, I didn't need to, but I wanted to see what would happen. It was accepted, it's on masterscoreboard....

The only way the system could be abused would be to hand in endless cards for 0.1s....in which case, I'd expect the h'cap sec' to have a word.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think it is encouraging people, who are playing well and want to get their handicaps cut and gives them the opportuinty to hand in a card rather than waiting for the next comp (or maybe they can't play in the next comp)....I think it is quite a good change.

I don't agree with Cat 1 players being able to hand them in, because you should really only allowed to be Cat 1 if you're playing in regular competitions and so you're handicap should be correct ('under competition conditions')....

Why should we be any different from any other golfer?? :D

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Have you seen some of the alleged 'scratch' golfers that turn up to EGU/SGU events.... :p

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Have you seen some of the alleged 'scratch' golfers that turn up to EGU/SGU events.... :p

Swings and roundabouts....you want to see some of the alleged 10 plus handicappers I have played with,some way better than their handicap and many way worse,my old man is off 12 but give him another 6 shots and it wouldn't be enough! :D