Subscriptions/current course closures - what is your club doing?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
A lot of folk think Flexi memberships can be ‘cheap‘ golf but there are pro’s and con’s which aren’t always taken into account. We had a lot of new Flexi members when golf resumed last year but a fair number of them have since ‘upgraded’ or reverted back to traditional memberships.

Two main reasons - they didn’t calculate accurately just how much golf they did, or wanted, to play and the flexi credits were soon eaten up, and also that Flexi doesn‘t allow you to go out and play a few holes as seen fit or available. You have to use either a 9 or 18 hole rate every time you go out, and at peak times that can be expensive.
Of course, it depends on the Flexi structure, some clubs allow you to top up as much as you like (and this can work out OK) whereas others only allow one top up per year and that can be restricted to a certain number of credits.

It is a problem in parts of Sussex where the ground is predominantly clay, and courses are only really playable for 8 months of the year (despite what they say and remaining open), which is why the Downs courses used to offer ‘winter memberships‘, but not this year.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A lot of folk think Flexi memberships can be ‘cheap‘ golf but there are pro’s and con’s which aren’t always taken into account. We had a lot of new Flexi members when golf resumed last year but a fair number of them have since ‘upgraded’ or reverted back to traditional memberships.

Two main reasons - they didn’t calculate accurately just how much golf they did, or wanted, to play and the flexi credits were soon eaten up, and also that Flexi doesn‘t allow you to go out and play a few holes as seen fit or available. You have to use either a 9 or 18 hole rate every time you go out, and at peak times that can be expensive.
Of course, it depends on the Flexi structure, some clubs allow you to top up as much as you like (and this can work out OK) whereas others only allow one top up per year and that can be restricted to a certain number of credits.

It is a problem in parts of Sussex where the ground is predominantly clay, and courses are only really playable for 8 months of the year (despite what they say and remaining open), which is why the Downs courses used to offer ‘winter memberships‘, but not this year.
I can see where you are coming from, but if you do your homework properly, flexible membership has a lot of plus points, the main one being that you're not paying a vast amount of money when the course is closed. At Cooden, I can purchase additional credits if I need them. I never visit the course unless I am playing a full round, but can see the attraction of popping down for a few holes if you're that way inclined. But as I say, I'm not. I can still play in regular competitions, just not what the club would call "Majors". If I have credits left over, I can roll them onto the next year. A years flexible membership runs from when I join, not from a particular month like full membership, so I can select the best month to join from the perspective of weather. When I retire, (not long to go now), I may well consider full membership again as I'll be able to play more often, but the money I'm saving now enables me to visit other courses without too much of a hit on my finances.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We had no Increase, but heard a rumour that Royal Dornoch are doubling the membership fee... not sure they will get away with that much of an increase though

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
East Sussex National are also offering a flexible membership scheme. £450.00 gets you Bronze membership, which gives you 100 points. A midweek round, after midday, costs you 7 points. That's just over 14 full rounds. Works out at just over £32.00 a round. 20% discount at the bar, you can sign guests in as well as having the choice to play two cracking courses. Plus the practice facilities are first class. AND you get an official handicap. What's not to like???????

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just had an email from the club. We're renewing as normal, but when the club re-opens after lockdown, we have two options, which we can all make our own individual choice on:

A credit of 60% of the pro rata rate of the closure period. e.g. if closed for 50 days it will be 50/365x 60% x annual membership. To be added to club card for use in bar or restaurant.

or

A credit of 40% of the pro rata rate of the closure period. e.g. if closed for 50 days it will be 50/365x 40% x annual membership. To be credited back to the members bank account.
We did this for golf lost last year due to L/D (can't recall off top of head the %s). I took the higher % figure split 50/50 between ProShop and Clubhouse. Lower % figure was split 50/50 off next two years subs but I'd rather put my money back into club. Not heard anything about current closure. Renewal is 1st April.

Club continues to invest in course. This break gives opportunity for greens team to complete this winter's bunker rebuild programme earlier than planned, and may also enable them to start on bunkers planned for next winter's rebuild programme.

But I guess I am a bit unusual as I actually care rather a lot about my club and have an emotional investment in it :)

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Flexible memberships can work but I think they are aimed at more of the casual golfer rather than the committed club member who are going to play twice at weekends and as much as possible in the summer. That could lead to purchasing a lot of additional credits which would then make as expensive as a conventional membership. As Smiffy says it needs the golfer to do their homework

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Flexible memberships can work but I think they are aimed at more of the casual golfer rather than the committed club member who are going to play twice at weekends and as much as possible in the summer. That could lead to purchasing a lot of additional credits which would then make as expensive as a conventional membership. As Smiffy says it needs the golfer to do their homework
Or it's aimed at people that are still working full-time and don't get the opportunities to play that regularly. I work every Saturday so they're out, every third Sunday as well, (more regularly if I need to cover holidays).
I get one day off a week, when I can play. So for my lifestyle, flexible membership is a good idea. Like I said, until I retire, full membership is a total and utter waste of time for me.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Or it's aimed at people that are still working full-time and don't get the opportunities to play that regularly. I work every Saturday so they're out. Every third Sunday as well, more regularly if I need to cover holidays. I get one day off a week, where I can play. So for my lifestyle, flexible membership is a good idea. Like I said, until I retire, full membership is a total and utter waste of time for me.

Totally agree. As I said for the committed golfer like myself that would be out twice at weekends and every weekday in the summer it doesn't add up. For those that don't play every weekend it can be a very efficient form of membership

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Our subs are due on 1 April, and The Board have already advised that those of us who paid on time last year will receive a six week credit (for the first lock down) and that the annual amount will be frozen. New members will see a £45 increase, though we have an offer of 15 months for the prise of 12, but can't see many taking that up now. Don't expect to get any further discount from this lockdown.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
We were originally told that our fees would be reduced pro rata, but I'm 100% that won't happen now. The club (members owned) wouldn't be able to run.

In any case, I've moved house and am 40 minutes away now. Im considering re-joining as a flexi member. By my reckoning it'll cost me £20 per round, but, I can play in all comps bar majors and still play with my mates on a regular basis. If If I do this, In addition I'd join the club local to me now and the fees there, plus the flexi membership at my old club is about as much as my fees currently.

Alternatively there is a really nice course (Prestbury) close by and I could sack them both off and just join there. :ROFLMAO:

sunshine

Visit site
Thinking about this from the club's / business perspective. For a typical private club in 2020, I am guessing:

- Revenue from bar and kitchen was massively down, but costs were also down, so the net impact is probably close to zero.
- Operating costs were probably down a little bit, due to staff on furlough.
- Revenue from societies / green fees was significantly down.
- Membership subs were moderately up, the bulk was all collected at the start of the financial year, but then a surge in new members joining over the summer has provided a welcome pro rata boost.

All of this indicates that the club is unlikely to have made any surplus in 2020. So if the club wants to provide compensation or a discount to members, how is this being funded?

Either by reducing costs, which will lower the quality of the course. Or by raising debt / dipping into cash reserves, which were probably being saved for a capital project like drainage improvements etc. Both of these options are unappealing to members, although the impact will be seen in the long term.

Have these issues been discussed at any of your clubs? There's been minimal comms from my club so I don't know if my assumptions are valid.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
We were originally told that our fees would be reduced pro rata, but I'm 100% that won't happen now. The club (members owned) wouldn't be able to run.

In any case, I've moved house and am 40 minutes away now. Im considering re-joining as a flexi member. By my reckoning it'll cost me £20 per round, but, I can play in all comps bar majors and still play with my mates on a regular basis. If If I do this, In addition I'd join the club local to me now and the fees there, plus the flexi membership at my old club is about as much as my fees currently.

Alternatively there is a really nice course (Prestbury) close by and I could sack them both off and just join there. :ROFLMAO:

I think that there is an itch you need to scratch there mate..??

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will not go into actual figures because it was confidential info, being on the committee, however the projected shortfall in income from the first lockdown was a bit of an eye opener. Since we reopened we have barely had enough income in the clubhouse to cover staff costs for it. Another two lockdowns and I dread to think what it has done to the clubs finances. Several people were laid off after the first lockdown to help reduce costs.

We were being given discounts on next years subs but a plea has already gone to the members to forego this.

There is only way way forward in reality and that is for members to be asked to dig deeper in to their pockets.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What I find a bit irritating is that apparently as soon as the lockdown was announced a number of members emailed the Manager straightaway to ask if they were getting refunds.

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What I find a bit irritating is that apparently as soon as the lockdown was announced a number of members emailed the Manager straightaway to ask if they were getting refunds.

I suppose it depends on what type of club it is. If a private members club like mine I think the members need to just accept its nobody's fault and accept it. Asking for money back only hurts the club going forward. That would be my view.

Some members will just see it as a service they pay for and think that no play = no pay.

If I was at a club owned by a company and ran for profit I think my view would be slightly different.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suppose it depends on what type of club it is. If a private members club like mine I think the members need to just accept its nobody's fault and accept it. Asking for money back only hurts the club going forward. That would be my view.

Some members will just see it as a service they pay for and think that no play = no pay.

If I was at a club owned by a company and ran for profit I think my view would be slightly different.

Yes I would agree with you. I often forget to point out that we are a members club.