Submitting cards

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
such a poor generalisation. Submitting a general play card takes no longer on a round of golf. Once you get passed nett double bogey, mark it as picked up on the app and then move to the next. It’s not difficult.

it just requires clubs to competently communicate to members
It also requires notifying in advance getting a card, finding a pencil deciding in advance you are definitely going to play a 9-18 holes whatever the weather.
Minor irritants for some, but frankly I cannot be bothered.

Swango1980

Visit site
We
It always makes me wonder whay sort of pitch and putt courses all these "we played as a 4 ball and got round in 2 hours" merchants play at. Some numbers to consider...

It's a 10.5km walk round my current course, that's about 6.5 miles. So to get round in 2 hours you would have to walk at an average speed of 3.25mph without stopping. So when is the golf played?

Methinks these sort of folk are as best bad at telling the time, or perhaps just making things up...
We started at 5pm, finished just after 7. Course yardage off yellows is 6045 yards off yellows.

Admittedly, it was monumentally quicker than usual. Didn't feel quick, but we were all naturally quick golfers, play ready golf and no one got in any trouble requiring searching for balls. Most 4 ball rounds would normally be between 3-4 hours, and over 4 if it is a very slow round, with slow groups in front.

Point is, submitting our scores did not delay the round at all. There is a group at club that play every weekend, for lots of money (minimum £20 per head, but could be more based on side pots). They play single Stableford for main pot, match play within their groups for another pot, side pots per hole and submit cards for handicap. They still fly round the course, well under 4 hours. This is a course, btw, with large mature tree lined fairways and areas of gorse.

So, I think that if people are trying to use the "rounds take too long if players are wanting to submit a score" excuse, they seriously need to think again. If a four ball is very slow, it won't be because they are submitting scores, there will be other reasons for it. Like, they are just slow.

D-S

Visit site
such a poor generalisation. Submitting a general play card takes no longer on a round of golf. Once you get passed nett double bogey, mark it as picked up on the app and then move to the next. It’s not difficult.

it just requires clubs to competently communicate to members

Just as clubs have done and do about Stableford competition rounds but nevertheless the rounds despite this take significantly longer than typical 4 ball ‘casual’ rounds even though they are in 3 balls.
Not a ‘poor generalisation’ as it comes from the evidence gathered that informed our club’s decision to make all singles strokeplay competition rounds to be played in 2 or 3 balls not in 4 balls due to the extra time taken.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Please can this thread not turn into a slw play debate. There's other threads for that.

Swango1980

Visit site
Just as clubs have done and do about Stableford competition rounds but nevertheless the rounds despite this take significantly longer than typical 4 ball ‘casual’ rounds even though they are in 3 balls.
Not a ‘poor generalisation’ as it comes from the evidence gathered that informed our club’s decision to make all singles strokeplay competition rounds to be played in 2 or 3 balls not in 4 balls due to the extra time taken.
Of course a 4 ball takes longer than a 3 ball. There are more players. Nothing to do with marking a score. If your club are genuinely that concerned, just ban 4 balls from social golf as well.

Swango1980

Visit site
Please can this thread not turn into a slw play debate. There's other threads for that.
I agree. Problem is, slow play is now being used as an excuse not to submit a score for handicap.

Although, another reason is that some players want to play "hero" shots without worrying about their handicap. Ironically, they'll hold up play when they have to keep looking for their ball in the jungle when their shot didn't work out.

Swango1980

Visit site

I'm sorry, I don't believe you.[/QUOTE]
That's fine. I can't make you. But I remember is vividly, as the time shocked all 4 of us when we stood on the 18th green.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Although, another reason is that some players want to play "hero" shots without worrying about their handicap. Ironically, they'll hold up play when they have to keep looking for their ball in the jungle when their shot didn't work out.
I wish this site had a "laugh out loud" option not just a "like" option! Love it!

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sorry, I don't believe you.
That's fine. I can't make you. But I remember is vividly, as the time shocked all 4 of us when we stood on the 18th green.[/QUOTE]

Use Strava and measure the next time you play. Would love to see what speed you are "walking"...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220620-204738_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20220620-204738_Strava.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 14

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's fine. I can't make you. But I remember is vividly, as the time shocked all 4 of us when we stood on the 18th green.

Use Strava and measure the next time you play. Would love to see what speed you are "walking"...[/QUOTE]

And the elapsed time stats...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220620-205211_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20220620-205211_Strava.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 9

D-S

Visit site
Of course a 4 ball takes longer than a 3 ball. There are more players. Nothing to do with marking a score. If your club are genuinely that concerned, just ban 4 balls from social golf as well.
I think you have missed the point, the issue is not 3 vs 4 ball, as everyone realises that the former is faster than the latter. The issue is that a singles strokeplay competition round, Stableford or medal played correctly to the rules takes significantly longer than casual rounds based on the evidence gathered. Pace of play is fine on casual 4 ball rounds. Contrary to your point it seems to be all about ‘marking your score’, holing out, provisionals or going back to the tee etc. etc.
We could, of course, if everyone starts pre registering rounds and playing them for handicaps, ban 4 balls entirely but that would severely reduce capacity and creates a raft of other problems.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think you have missed the point, the issue is not 3 vs 4 ball, as everyone realises that the former is faster than the latter. The issue is that a singles strokeplay competition round, Stableford or medal played correctly to the rules takes significantly longer than casual rounds based on the evidence gathered. Pace of play is fine on casual 4 ball rounds. Contrary to your point it seems to be all about ‘marking your score’, holing out, provisionals or going back to the tee etc. etc.
We could, of course, if everyone starts pre registering rounds and playing them for handicaps, ban 4 balls entirely but that would severely reduce capacity and creates a raft of other problems.
I still don't get it. Every round I have played, for handicap or not, has always been played by the rules of golf. I must have played with hundreds of golfers and the same has been true for all. Since we've started to submit scores for handicap, there has been no noticeable increase to round length.

I don't know who all these people are that don't play to the rules of golf when playing with their mates? Maybe there are a few who don't play a provisional and just drop one down. Maybe there are a few who quit playing halfway through a hole if their partner is in control? If that is the case, they are welcome to continue to do so. However, I would say the vast majority do actually play a round of golf to the point they can genuinely count up a score afterwards, whether than be Stableford, nett or gross. And can confidently claim that score was achieved fairly. Whether they submit that for handicap or not will make no difference to round length

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't know who all these people are that don't play to the rules of golf when playing with their mates? Maybe there are a few who don't play a provisional and just drop one down.
Must admit I know very few people who play a provisional outside competition , virtually everyone I know just drops near where they think the ball was lost, or just carry on to the next hole.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Must admit I know very few people who play a provisional outside competition , virtually everyone I know just drops near where they think the ball was lost, or just carry on to the next hole.
Agreed. In casual rounds you tend to say if I lose it I'll just drop one down there somewhere. We also do gimmes of two or three feet a lot of the time so obviously you can't put a card in then either. I'm sure that's common.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Odd situation, we played 2 NCG 100s qualifying comps ( an English based company), playing at Gullane and Longniddry GCs , both courses in Scotland .
But NCG are unable to put our scores into the SG system.
We have to input our scores to Scottish Golf, surely there should be some kind of link between the 2 entities available .

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agreed. In casual rounds you tend to say if I lose it I'll just drop one down there somewhere. We also do gimmes of two or three feet a lot of the time so obviously you can't put a card in then either. I'm sure that's common.
Absolutely as far as I can see there is no requirement to put in general play scores from the WHS, just an option to do so.
There is a requirement though that all scores submitted are played according to the rules of golf. I f casual rounds are not played in that respect they should not be submitted. If you can't play many competition rounds you then have the option to put in General play scores but it is not a requirement.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is a moral obligation though, if you are going to play some competitions, that your handicap be a good reflection of your ability.
If you are competing most weekends, then those cards ensure your handicap is representative. Even if you are playing several other casual rounds per week as well. Ones form or ability does not change in days, or even a few weeks.
But if you are not competing regularly, but still playing regular golf, so that the obligatory counting scores are a small fraction of your golf, then you should be submitting some of the casual rounds. Playing 10 rounds a month and only entering three competitions in the year, with no other submitted rounds, may be permitted under the current rules, but it is not honest handicap golf.
I dont know what the ratio should be. At least 1/4 of your rounds should be submitted maybe, to qualify you for handicap competitions, rather than a flat number of rounds per year. But only a flat number is practical to police.
But golf is a game of honour - submit enough rounds to ensure your handicap is fair before you enter a competition please.