stupid or what?

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Since my good round last week I have NOT been playing well, even off my new higher (groan) handicap. Yesterday was no exception. Not my worst score ever, but felt completely demoralised by sudden inability to hit woods, which are the absolute bread & butter of my game. Off tee or fairway, I was duffing them left despite all manner of self-talk and 'positive' haha swing thoughts. Went home deeply shaken, especially as had aranged to play today at another (harder) course with an ex-colleague I have never played golf with and his mate whom I had never met.
Believe it or not I lay awake worrying about my golf and could barely force down my poached egg on toast before leaving, then mistimed things so had no time for a practice hit.
Maybe it was the pleasantly warm weather, the attractive tree-lined course, or my very congenial and good-humoured partners, but I then got up on the first tee, thought 'Get over yourself' and struck a very nice drive followed by an excellent three wood. Chip and run to green and down for 5 - fine by me on a par 4. I then hit every wood shot bar one almost as well, and came away with a respectable if not outstanding score and a pretty big grin on my face.
what did I do wrong yesterday? what did I do right today? I really haven't a clue, and defy anyone to understand this game (at the level I play it!) but offer this as encouragement to anyone feeling as shaky as I was last night.
(Mind you, my irons today were rubbish, and that was fine yesterday - you win some, you lose some!)

AliB

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That is what brings us back week in week out. You may knock it round 100 but you will remember that sweetly struck iron or that long holed putt and that is all that we need to ensure we get our next golfing fix.

Glad it went well. I was down the range tonight and my swing is in a right mess now. I'm losing so much distance with every club (going straight and high just soooooo short). Got hung up on trying to generate more power through more weight transfer and everything has gone to pot. Already given myself 0.1 back tomorrow mentally

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can guarantee that if I've had a stinker of a round then I'll birdie one of the last two holes... its the golfing Gods keeping alive your vain hopes of mastering this game. I've played realy badly and come away with 36+ points but the next day hit it sooooo sweetly and struggled to rack up 25. if anyone does know the answer.................

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Played a nice round today and the three of us playing hit a peach of a drive off the 18th.
I commented that if we had all played pants for the whole 17 and just made the good drive from the 18th, that was the impetus that brings us back to the course week after week!

Am I right?

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
"I commented that if we had all played pants for the whole 17 and just made the good drive from the 18th, that was the impetus that brings us back to the course week after week!"

Basher, I'm with you there - "nothing like a good finish" as my friend always says (sadly, it's very often nothing like a good finish!)

AliB

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I no how you feel AliB

I went round in my two best scores two weeks ago and then last week had another cracker, couldnt miss afairway, most G.I.R, putts dropping from 8ft and the friday was like a vice verser.

I was only 3 over after 8 and then 7 over after 9. GRRR

severly shaken i came home about 15 over, was not good.

How ever, on the 18th i had the drive off the day followed by 150 7iron to within 8ft and holed out in two for par.

I was all ready for a monster range session but have just accepted i was mentally challenged and I lost.

I only got back on top after the 18th.

Went for a little fix toda and i hit 50 balls very well.

Now i cant wait for tommorow!