standing too far away from the ball

markcooke

Visit site
everbody keeps telling me i stand too far away from the ball and that i am too stretched out far away, it is stressing me out im just wondering if there is any problem standing 2 far away from the ball,and that if you have any tips on how far your meant to stand away, i would appreciate it if u get back to me thx

mark

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think this a such a worry for inexperienced players.

My take on it is that with the sole of the club properly grounded behind the ball, it's quite clear to feel where the grip is and therefore build your posture.

Therefore what you need to know is "how" to stand in relation to the grip.
I always used this method.

http://www.steveandersongolf.com/4fingers.php

If you have this distance between your grip and thigh, as long as the bottom of the club is sat correctly (with the toe a fraction off the ground) then you have it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Stand straight and hold the club straight out in front and then lower it to the ground by bending from the hips only. Once it reaches the ground soften the knees slightly and that is the ideal address position.

I tend to use this on the range occasionally if I've been hitting poorly and need to go back to basics. If you do it with a ball it'll show very clearly if youa re too close or too far away

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Stand straight and hold the club straight out in front and then lower it to the ground by bending from the hips only. Once it reaches the ground soften the knees slightly and that is the ideal address position.

Surely that would leave your arms and club in a perfectly straight line from your shoulders to the ball, which I didn't think was right?

I know it's not what I do anyway.