How did you learn to trust your shot shape? (Alignment Issues)

DrGolfer

Visit site
As my ball striking and understanding of ball flights has improved recently my shot shape has changed with longer clubs from a slice to an intentional draw that’s now the intended standard stock shape for my swing.

Most of the time I love it.

However, I still don’t trust myself and too often I’m aligning to compensate for a slice (aim left). That means I’m hitting a shot that goes too far left causing me all sorts of issues.

I know the simple answer to this issue is “stop aiming left!” but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on overcoming the mental barrier on this one?

Thanks!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lessons and practice for me.

When it used to go wrong I would always go back to basics and use alignment and swing path aids.

PS are you sure it is a slice and not a push - 2 different swing paths with the same end result.

DrGolfer

Visit site
Lessons and practice for me.

When it used to go wrong I would always go back to basics and use alignment and swing path aids.

PS are you sure it is a slice and not a push - 2 different swing paths with the same end result.

Thanks, I think on course practice is probably the best route.

To be more precise it isn’t tee shots that are problematic. It’s long approach shots where I’m taking a 3 wood or hybrid.

I used to aim left to compensate for a slice (had an out to in path but now in to out + strong grip + slightly closed club face). You make a really good point though as I occasionally hit push shots now and in my head I think the slice is coming back so start over compensating on alignment a shot/hole later to my detriment.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I am still working on getting used to always trying to fade the ball with my driver (in fact every club), and for that I must address the ball in a way that visually looks very closed (and odd) indeed. Plus I must aim left of my target line.

I remind myself of what I am trying to do every time I stand over a drive after my pre-address shot visualisation by saying to myself ‘trust it/yourself’. I know it works; I must drive down (sorry) my uncertainty, and boost my confidence in that what I am doing works.

DrGolfer

Visit site
I am still working on getting used to always trying to fade the ball with my driver (in fact every club), and for that I must address the ball in a way that visually looks very closed (and odd) indeed. Plus I must aim left of my target line.

I remind myself of what I am trying to do every time I stand over a drive after my pre-address shot visualisation by saying to myself ‘trust it/yourself’. I know it works; I must drive down (sorry) my uncertainty, and boost my confidence in that what I am doing works.
Might need to say something audible that’s confidence inspiring to myself as I setup even if it looks a bit odd…

ThinBullet

Visit site
I removed this fear by doing a Seve at the range. Purposely going wild with path and face on shots. Wild hooks and huge slices to feel the extremes. I'd flop shot 4 irons 100 yards and draw 50 degree wedges as far as I could. It's so easy to get trapped in a mould, but the range is there to get some freedom back in what good and bad results are and what you like to see. It's taken me about a year right enough to trust the 2 balls back in my stance gives me a nice draw with an iron. But it took hundreds of balls a week to know what it's like to get it wrong.

I feel i need to correct myself here.

I got a lesson recently, where I was feeling that I was aiming left, and still drawing or hooking the ball. It was doing my head in. Turns out, I was aiming left with my feet, knees and hips, but closing my shoulders. A few drills later, and 100 balls, and i'm hitting the softest fade. I stayed there for hours just hitting that shot. Felt it the next day though haha

Last edited: