Alignment issues fixed.......

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
During our recent game at Vale of LLangollen @JustOne pointed out (after first asking me if I would welcome some feedback) that I was aligning as much as 30 deg right causing several issues when the hands didn’t compensate and a nasty snap hook when they over compensated.

I’ve since spent a bit of time correcting this, even going a bit further and standing slightly open and aiming down the left edge of the fairway and swinging fast resulting in a nice little fade back to the centre of the fairway and at worst a straight shot finding the left edge. (y)

Can we arrange another round again soon please James, so you can fix my irons? :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bad alignment is a killer, I speak from similar experience to your own. The difference when you are lined up correctly is ridiculous. The hard bit is doing it without someone there to tell you, left a bit, bit more, bit more again :LOL:. It tends to be one of those work in progress issues but at least now you are aware.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m really struggling with alignment at the moment, playing partner told me I’m aiming well right of target, hence why most of my shots (particularly driver) were going that way. So I played 9 holes on my own on a quiet evening and put sticks down on every tee shot to see the difference. It was huge, much straighter shots. It actually felt as though I was pointing left and so I’ve tried to keep that feeling since, and it worked for a while.

Just been for a 3 round golf weekend and I’ve sliced nearly every shot. It feels like I’m cutting across the ball rather than aiming right. God knows how it’s happening as I haven’t consciously changed anything in my swing! Back to the drawing board.

Stupid game.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I had a lesson a while ago because I was hitting all my short irons left & long irons right. It turned out that, in both cases, the ball was going exactly where I was aiming. The pro told me something obvious (which I hadn't tried doing), which was to pick a mark on the ground a couple of feet in front of the ball in line with the target & line up on that. I've been doing this since with good results. I find that it's easy to square up feet, shoulders & hips if I've got the right aiming point. Ask anyone to aim for a target without a reference point & I bet a lot of them will be way off.

Also, a couple of years ago, I watched the pros tee off on a par 3 at Close House. It was amazing to see how they addressed the ball, aiming left, aiming right, open stance, closed stance, hardly two the same.

What is important is to know where you hit it in relation to where you aim. I know I have a tendency to hit the short ones left, even when aiming straight, so I just make sure that I favour the right side of the green. It's saved me a lot of shots.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a lesson a while ago because I was hitting all my short irons left & long irons right. It turned out that, in both cases, the ball was going exactly where I was aiming. The pro told me something obvious (which I hadn't tried doing), which was to pick a mark on the ground a couple of feet in front of the ball in line with the target & line up on that. I've been doing this since with good results. I find that it's easy to square up feet, shoulders & hips if I've got the right aiming point. Ask anyone to aim for a target without a reference point & I bet a lot of them will be way off.

Also, a couple of years ago, I watched the pros tee off on a par 3 at Close House. It was amazing to see how they addressed the ball, aiming left, aiming right, open stance, closed stance, hardly two the same.

What is important is to know where you hit it in relation to where you aim. I know I have a tendency to hit the short ones left, even when aiming straight, so I just make sure that I favour the right side of the green. It's saved me a lot of shots.

One our regular PPs [ r/handed ] just can't line up his putter face square , it's always closed and facing left.
Guess what, he misses left, we'll square him up in bounce games and he's fine. But obviously can say anything in comps :whistle:, we've tried the odd loud cough but he's a bit deaf too :ROFLMAO:
We think it's a predominant eye problem :rolleyes:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think it's a problem for lots of players, it's certainly something I've struggled with from time to time.. theres a guy that comes to our roll ups who is possibly the worst player in the group. Duffed drive 2nd 3rd and forth shots at Castle Stuart the other week. His feet were pointing 45 deg right and his shoulders straight left. Little surprise he hits it so poorly. I tried to help him by getting him pointing the right direction and move his left foot back. After this he hit it much better, but has since fallen back into his old stance

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
just one thing in that that should not be done during a round

- Laying down an alignment stick or golf club to indicate line of play or where you body should aim. It is a penalty even if you pick it up before playing the shot
Are you allowed to address a putt, hold the putter in position with 1 hand , then look from behind to check the line on the putter is pointing in the correct direction, while the putter still on the ground at address position ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you allowed to address a putt, hold the putter in position with 1 hand , then look from behind to check the line on the putter is pointing in the correct direction, while the putter still on the ground at address position ?
This is allowable

10.2b(3)/1 – Setting Clubhead on Ground Behind Ball to Help the Player Take a Stance is Allowed

Rule 10.2b(3) does not allow a player to set down an object (such as an alignment rod or a golf club) to help the player take a stance.

However, this prohibition does not prevent a player from setting his or her clubhead behind the ball, such as when a player stands behind the ball and places the clubhead perpendicular to the line of play and then walks around from behind the ball to take his or her stance.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is allowable

10.2b(3)/1 – Setting Clubhead on Ground Behind Ball to Help the Player Take a Stance is Allowed

Rule 10.2b(3) does not allow a player to set down an object (such as an alignment rod or a golf club) to help the player take a stance.

However, this prohibition does not prevent a player from setting his or her clubhead behind the ball, such as when a player stands behind the ball and places the clubhead perpendicular to the line of play and then walks around from behind the ball to take his or her stance.
Cheers, I'll pass that on (y)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers, I'll pass that on (y)

Just one point on that rule and it is a dim memory.

There is a design of putter that can be left standing on it's sole with the shaft in the air. I seem to remember that using this club in such fashion was deemed to be infringing the rule.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just one point on that rule and it is a dim memory.

There is a design of putter that can be left standing on it's sole with the shaft in the air. I seem to remember that using this club in such fashion was deemed to be infringing the rule.
It's an old Ping pal so can't stand on its
own.