Aligment "across" the tee box issue

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Hi all

I've always psychologically had issues with holes where the tee box isn't pointed towards the target....whether it be fairway or the green.

We have one particular hole that I struggle with, I end up feeling really "cramped" with my swing and quite often overdrawing the ball.

The hole is 175 yards, all over water. The tee box isn't flat, it slopes off to both sides. The tee box at best points you to the left side of the green with the shot for the right edge being hampered by trees.

How would you deal with this? Any hints or tips on how to deal with it mentally and physically?

Cheers

Adam

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
you could always line yourself up, and put a club along your target line (feet), then step away check its right then move it away.

i do this sometimes on our 16th white tee, which aims you miles right into the gorse.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all

I've always psychologically had issues with holes where the tee box isn't pointed towards the target....whether it be fairway or the green.

We have one particular hole that I struggle with, I end up feeling really "cramped" with my swing and quite often overdrawing the ball.

The hole is 175 yards, all over water. The tee box isn't flat, it slopes off to both sides. The tee box at best points you to the left side of the green with the shot for the right edge being hampered by trees.

How would you deal with this? Any hints or tips on how to deal with it mentally and physically?

Cheers

Adam
Think you have answered it yourself it's in your head.
Most of the time anyone who draws the ball tees up on the left of the tee (right handed player) but if this slopes it's putting the ball above your feet this will make you draw it more.

you need to take your two club lengths behind the tee markers in the middle flat part of the tee and hit it straight, or on the right so ball slightly below your feet and try to fade it.

Everyone has a hole they struggle with mine is a realativly easy par five but I always seem to make a mess of it.

practice 175 yds until you have it sorted then just go for the pin.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Cheers

Adam

would look to what your psr routine is at a tee box - where do you stand to view your upcoming shot?

so just from my pov am picking my shot 'target' from the back of the tee box for best piece of ground (give best level-ish stance to tee ball) - then there are 3 points am looking at - target - ball - & a spot few feet in front of ball that I want to start the direction of the shot on - where the tee-box where the grass cut lines are pointing is entirely immaterial to any of those decisions tbh

if the water runs tight up to green bank - then club selection would be looking to be comfortably enough to hit 10 some yards behind the flag - if a green that water on 3 sides so front- side- & back -
then likely the line to be away on the opposite side of the pin

the real important focus is where is the target when viewed from behind the ball - where's the spot in front of the ball to start the shot on - then you have those 3 markers to keep viewing that line to target

some holes maybes from someone viewing my set-up I might be 'in line' with where the tee-box is pointing but that won't have been a part of the shot making decision

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't tee up anywhere near any marker, and chose your area for level and target alignment.

See far to many people teeing up near a tee marker, after having commented that they aren't aligned with the fairway/green! Also teeing up tight to the front of the teeing ground despite it not being flat Tec

Then again that is the hardest hole on the complex....

Fish

Banned
Visit site
On tee boxes like as you describe, which I've had trouble with in the past, I now tee up back from the blocks so they are not in my vision, I pick a mark on the ground 2ft in front of my ball and align that to the ball and the target and then align myself square to that. This has improved me not coming across the ball on these particular holes anymore that face you away from your target.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have trouble with our sixth. Tee markers point you left of the green (with OOB over there if you pull or hook) and away from the trees that go all the way down the 178 yard hole and only 10 yards right of the tee box (and also OOB). Although the tee is level, the markers are not ideal and will have you pointing left of the green. I simply try and find a good spot, without too many old divot holes to stand on, say a prayer to my ball, close my eyes and swing

D

Deleted member 18121

or on the right so ball slightly below your feet and try to fade it.

That's a fantastic idea.

Then again that is the hardest hole on the complex....

Yeah that's the one.... I went through a very long spell of hitting great shots into that hole... But the last half a dozen times or so it's been more of a struggle (only held the green once I think)

Will take everyones points on board and give them a go... Would be nice to stand there with 10 rubbish balls and just hit a load of shots.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Learn to ignore the direction of tee markers and direction of mowing on tees. It is deliberate designers trick to get you to aim in the wrong direction.

Follow Fishes advice . After teeing the ball up. Find the point on the fairway where you are trying to land the ball and then find some mark on the ground 2ft or so in front of the ball which corresponds with your aim line and learn to aim using the two points. It is a bit like using a sight on a rifle.