Pulling shots - too far from ball?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have always struggled with pulling the ball left (RH golfer) and have tried many things to fix it. It is more consistent now, thanks (I think) to a fairly upright swing. However, at the range last night, the problem was creeping in again and I noticed i am stood quite a way from the ball, with my arms stretched out in front of me - maybe 12-18 inches from my legs. Could this be causing the pull/hook/low flight? Is posture and setup something I should be working on this winter?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Forget about how far you stand. You pull the ball because you swing left with a clubface square to that path.

You need to start swinging more out to the right with the club face left of path (if you're right handed). Let your body react and support this path, it already knows how to do it. Keep your arms, wrists and shoulders loose so you don't let tension affect your intention.

Go to the range and work on it, find out how much you need to alter your swing to get the correct result.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My pro told me my backswing was to flat.
So I was coming over the top in compensating to generate some speed.
This with clubface square to path was a pull ,and a 15 yrd gain in length ,not good at my club.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Forget about how far you stand. You pull the ball because you swing left with a clubface square to that path.

You need to start swinging more out to the right with the club face left of path (if you're right handed). Let your body react and support this path, it already knows how to do it. Keep your arms, wrists and shoulders loose so you don't let tension affect your intention.

Go to the range and work on it, find out how much you need to alter your swing to get the correct result.
Easy to say, not so easy at my level to implement ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

I don't agree in this instance.
If every shot was a pull, you may be right but there are hooks and a low ball flight thrown in too.
My money was on a overly strong grip which the OP confirmed in post no. 5
Fix the easy first and leave the swing path alone would be my initial advice

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If every shot was a pull, you may be right but there are hooks and a low ball flight thrown in too.
I played 12 holes last night and made a conscious effort to check my grip before every shot. On the whole it was a lot better. Ball striking was more consistent with less going to the left. Obviously still a work in progress but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks Bob (y)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I played 12 holes last night and made a conscious effort to check my grip before every shot. On the whole it was a lot better. Ball striking was more consistent with less going to the left. Obviously still a work in progress but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks Bob (y)

Good news.
Keep us informed

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Easy to say, not so easy at my level to implement ?
It's easier than you think. You find it difficult because you can't let go of control which introduces tension and restricts your body from doing what it already knows.

Go through the motion of throwing a golf ball. You don't need to think about it, you will be able to throw it left, right or straight. Swing a club as if you were hammering a nail into the bottom of a door frame with a long hammer. Again the action will be natural with no thought of what your wrists, shoulders, hips need to do.

Try adopting this freedom of movement into your golf swing. Loose wrists, arms, shoulders. It must be worth a try.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ok. I was addressing his straight left pull which he suggested he has always suffered with. IMO that's caused by swinging left with face square to path. With the other shapes he's not explaining the compete shape (where it starts and how it turns) If his hooks are pull hooks then he's still swinging left but varying the clubface.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's easier than you think. You find it difficult because you can't let go of control which introduces tension and restricts your body from doing what it already knows.

Go through the motion of throwing a golf ball. You don't need to think about it, you will be able to throw it left, right or straight. Swing a club as if you were hammering a nail into the bottom of a door frame with a long hammer. Again the action will be natural with no thought of what your wrists, shoulders, hips need to do.

Try adopting this freedom of movement into your golf swing. Loose wrists, arms, shoulders. It must be worth a try.
Unfortunately some people can’t knock a nail in a piece of wood
If it was that easy we would all be low guys ;)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately some people can’t knock a nail in a piece of wood
If it was that easy we would all be low guys ;)
Really! I think the vast majority of us can strike a nail with a hammer but the important point isn't how well you strike the nail but how you do it with no need to consider the way your wrists should move, your brain has evolved to carry out tasks like this without over thinking. Just like throwing a golf ball. Maybe if more guys let go control and tension there would be more low guys.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really! I think the vast majority of us can strike a nail with a hammer but the important point isn't how well you strike the nail but how you do it with no need to consider the way your wrists should move, your brain has evolved to carry out tasks like this without over thinking. Just like throwing a golf ball. Maybe if more guys let go control and tension there would be more low guys.
You havnt met my son.
I pride myself as being very good at DIY.
But this didn’t pass on to him.
I get most can, some can’t that’s a fact!
Golf is mostly between the ears.imo.
I do appreciate what your saying (y)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Ok. I was addressing his straight left pull which he suggested he has always suffered with. IMO that's caused by swinging left with face square to path. With the other shapes he's not explaining the compete shape (where it starts and how it turns) If his hooks are pull hooks then he's still swinging left but varying the clubface.

I was addressing all 3, the pull, the hook and the low ball flight. If the clubface was square to the path, the ball flight would not be low.
And just for future reference, I do not need to be told what causes a pull.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For those trying to help, Bobmac has given me a simple fix that I can work on and then, when I get some more consistency, I can see what the new bad shot is and look to work on that. Everything else is just noise and is being ignored.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For those trying to help, Bobmac has given me a simple fix that I can work on and then, when I get some more consistency, I can see what the new bad shot is and look to work on that. Everything else is just noise and is being ignored.
Maybe next time PM Bob and don't ask the rest of us. People are trying to help because you asked for it. The 'noise' comment is just rude.