What do you do when you don't know where its going?

Grizzly

Visit site
Some of you will have noticed that I had somewhat of a 'mare at Blackmoor last week (pity James and Mike who actually had to watch it unfold) where for the first time in my life I genuinely didn't have a clue where the ball was going.

I got back on the proverbial horse in a roll up this morning; for twelve holes, it was going okay, I was playing just over handicap and hitting the ball more or less ok, with my usual consistent enough miss left (I have a tendency to pull the ball). Then from nowhere it "went" again on 13 - a relatively innocuous par 3 - which led to a consecutive run of shots that went shank, slice (OB), Duck hook (would have been OB but for a very kindly tree), top, weird thin-hook than ran for miles - shank, pull, decent drive, very weak slice (and so on and so forth).

I assume I'm not the only one who has ever experienced this? Any tips to keep the wheels on when your brain and body seem to stop talking to one another?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can honestly say I can't recall it ever going THAT much to pot for me, but then again I've tried to make my swing short with few moving parts so not as much can go wrong. ? Years ago I developed a shank problem in a match, so I started laying up further away so I could hit hybrid to the greens - but that's one specific problem so probably doesn't help you as much. I guess you'd have to identify a club or a shot that you can always hit, no matter what - maybe a half-swing punch with a 7 iron, or anything - and just do that for a few holes while you try and get your head together again?? Even if you feel silly hitting 100 yard punch shots or whatever, at least you could get to the green in 4 shots and have a putt for bogey. ??‍♂️

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I tend to get very 'handsy' so it feels like I'm flicking my wrists to square the face.

For me, this means everything goes left to some degree. At least then I can make sure I play for the shot shape, even if it means going way left on some holes.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find that I generally resolve this problem on the 18th :rolleyes:. It could be worse, I could not resolve it at all, but for some reason as I walk off the 17th something goes in my head 'try this' and it invariably works. I play the last well, I want to come back and play this daft game again. Crackers.

It's an individual thing, but usually I would say slow your swing, shorten your swing and you wont go far wrong. There are other technical issues which I have to remember that work for me but they may not be a problem for you so I don't want to muddy the waters too much. You are not alone though, it happens to many of us, to me a couple of times a season and it is horrible.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The good news is you haven't suddenly developed loads of faults.
You only need to do 2 things.
From what you've said, you have an out to in swing through impact. Unfortunately the direction of the clubface varies from strong to weak. That suggests to me your grip needs checking to get the face more consistent through impact.
Secondly, your contact is also inconsistent which suggests you may be swaying or lifting your posture. If you keep your head still, that will improve your contact.
So, get your grip checked and keep your head still would be my advice

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The one time I hate it when I suddenly develop what some might call the dreaded you know whats. I have yet to be able to stop it happening during a round once it starts.

Silly thing is I can go to practice the next day and not get one.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The one time I hate it when I suddenly develop what some might call the dreaded you know whats. I have yet to be able to stop it happening during a round once it starts.

Silly thing is I can go to practice the next day and not get one.

Does your swing go a little on the inside going back?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does your swing go a little on the inside going back?

Bob I know what causes it most times it is just that I do not seem to be able to fix it mid round. The troubles of an ageing body. A lot of them come from lifting the head too early and the body being out of sync.