Ball to be replaced is lost whilst lifted?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
A ball is lifted under a rule that requires it to be replaced on the spot it was lifted from. As far as I can see, 'the ball' (and not 'a ball') has to be replaced. So what happens, if the ball happens to get lost/misplaced whilst it was lifted?

Unlikely I know,but but nearly happened to me yesterday. I marked my ball on a green then tossed it over to where my bag & towel was - but it landed on a sprinkler head, took a big bounce, and nearly went through the boundary fence - where it wouldn't have been retrievable. Just wondering what the procedure would be if it had gone through? Does the fact I threw to ball towards my bag mean the ball was lost 'deliberately' even though I never meant it to be lost/OOB. And then what - if it was counted as 'deliberate'.

Steven Rules

Visit site
14.2a

The original ball must be used when replacing a ball.

Exception – Another Ball May Be Used When: The original ball cannot be recovered with reasonable effort and in a few seconds, so long as the player did not deliberately cause the ball to become unrecoverable,

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
14.2a

The original ball must be used when replacing a ball.

Exception – Another Ball May Be Used When: The original ball cannot be recovered with reasonable effort and in a few seconds, so long as the player did not deliberately cause the ball to become unrecoverable,
So the player in the original post deliberately threw the ball at his bag, and it accidentally hit the sprinkler head and became unrecoverable. Does this player get to substitute another ball without penalty?