Stableford - Joke !

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted Member 1156

It's based on most of what I have read on here from the posters who stay south of the border.

Come along to one of the big forum meets like H4H........oh hang on, they're all stablefords :rofl:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You're talking about matchplay ye ? Matchplay ! not strokeplay, matchplay, and you want me to answer that do you ?

I do, cos I think its a big gaping hole in your argument.

In matchplay you can play brilliant for 10-12 holes then guff in the others, whereas as someone overall could get a worse gross than you and still beat you.

Isnt that manufactured also?

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nobody is born a scratch golfer so I really do not see your point.

Club's/societies who are forever running stableford competitions are just dumbing down golf as it is meant to be played and pandering to the mediocre.

You can take the silver medal, Cabby is still in front for the gold, but carry on trying and you could run him close

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

In matchplay you can play brilliant for 10-12 holes then guff in the others, whereas as someone overall could get a worse gross than you and still beat you.

Sorry but we're talking about strokeplay here as I'm often told, strokeplay, not matchplay so I see no resemblance.

D

Deleted member 1147

He says he wants to start debate but doesn’t like it when people want to debate in return.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
He says he wants to start debate but doesn’t like it when people want to debate in return.

I've answered his post, what's not debating in that ? or is it selective posts you're using. There is no comparison in this topic to matchplay, seemples really, now, back in yer box if you've nothing to add.

D

Deleted member 1147

I've answered his post, what's not debating in that ? or is it selective posts you're using. There is no comparison in this topic to matchplay, seemples really, now, back in yer box if you've nothing to add.

So you think match play is a joke as well?
I think a lot of people will disagree,

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry but we're talking about strokeplay here as I'm often told, strokeplay, not matchplay so I see no resemblance.

You dont say anything about strokeplay in your opening gambit:-

Someone battles away for 18 holes, scores 33 points, playing partner only manages to finish 17 holes, scores 35 points.

The game is about 18 holes from memory.
Read more at http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?98044-Stableford-Joke-!#qBiCh5pJXCplVEUf.99

If your sticking to your mantra of 18 holes and every shot counting, matchplay should be full score vs full score. Non?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
You dont say anything about strokeplay in your opening gambit:-

Someone battles away for 18 holes, scores 33 points, playing partner only manages to finish 17 holes, scores 35 points.

The game is about 18 holes from memory.
Read more at http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?98044-Stableford-Joke-!#qBiCh5pJXCplVEUf.99

If your sticking to your mantra of 18 holes and every shot counting, matchplay should be full score vs full score. Non?

You don't score points in matchplay, so it's clear that he's talking about stableford. He's talking absolute nonsense... but it's clear he means stableford only and not matchplay.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are several variants of golf - i can think of three main ones. Lets call them medal, match and stableford. In two of these, one can win without holing out on all 18 holes. In one, you can even pick up on up to 8 of the holes & still could win. The allegation is that one form is a joke because you can win without holing out on 18 holes. The fact that another form of golf can be won without completing all 18 holes is dismissed. I don't get the rationale of that?

There are various forms of golf, and each is won according to its particular rules. That's how it is & I don't see any issues - or indeed jokes.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Nope, he pulled a drive in to the trees, played his second shot then picked up, yet it seems it's hunky dory to just pick up in a competition and still be placed higher than someone who played and holes out at all 18 holes, bizzare I know but strangely true.

I get you don't like stableford, but the game in question is about points scored. If you can't score on a hole, you are expected to pick up on that hole and move to the next one. You don't say what happened to the second shot (unless I missed it in another post), maybe it didn't come out of the trees, maybe he couldn't play the third shot without taking a drop, didn't think he could up and down for a point, there are other scenarios too. If he thought he couldn't score, picking up was the sensible option, and makes no difference to the points tally he already had in the format being played. It makes no difference for him to play any number of further shots and failing to score any points on the hole. The points tally he has will be the same, and if it's more than the player who scored points on all 18 holes, he'll finish higher in the order. I don't see any issues, it's the format and it works. Personally, I enjoy the format, comfort blanket or not.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The point that many seem to be missing on this thread [Apologies if it has been raised as I have not real all posts]

There is a totally different mindset between playing stableford/scrabble competitions and stroke/match play competitions.
If you cannot understand that then you do not understand golf.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The point that many seem to be missing on this thread [Apologies if it has been raised as I have not real all posts]

There is a totally different mindset between playing stableford/scrabble competitions and stroke/match play competitions.

There's also a difference between snakes and ladders and ludo

If you cannot understand that then you don't understand board games :D

D

Deleted member 15344

Well first of all - Stableford is strokeplay , that’s your first lack of understanding

Secondly why are you putting scramble in with Stableford? Scramble format despite not being a recognised format is mainly played as a medal

So to help your lack of understanding

Two formats of playing

Strokeplay - medal , Stableford, bogey , greensomes , Foursomes , 4BBB

Matchplay- Foursomes , singles , 4BBB , greensomes , Yellowstone’s etc

We can’t have you suggesting people don’t understand the game when you seem to struggle

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well first of all - Stableford is strokeplay , that’s your first lack of understanding

Secondly why are you putting scramble in with Stableford? Scramble format despite not being a recognised format is mainly played as a medal

So to help your lack of understanding

Two formats of playing

Strokeplay - medal , Stableford, bogey , greensomes , Foursomes , 4BBB

Matchplay- Foursomes , singles , 4BBB , greensomes , Yellowstone’s etc

We can’t have you suggesting people don’t understand the game when you seem to struggle

Are attempting to say that the mindset [which of course was the bit that you ignored] for playing Stableford and Medal strokeplay is the same.:confused:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Are attempting to say that the mindset [which of course was the bit that you ignored] for playing Stableford and Medal strokeplay is the same.:confused:

That's been discussed already, you are more likely to be more aggressive in your play with stableford. If you need to get up and down for a point from under a tree you will have to go for it in stableford, in medal you would probably take the sensible approach of avoiding a blow up.

But you seemed to have confused stableford with a social round, if it's a competition then everyone will try and get the best possible score in that account the mind set is the same as a medal.

The only difference is the format

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just don t get this be more aggressive in stableford argument. I'm playing every time to get my handicap down, be it stableford or medal, I'm thinking reduction.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's how you go about it.
In Medal, if you're 200 yards out in 3 on a Par 4 for whatever reason, you may not risk going for the green if there's a lot of trouble around the green, you may elect to lay up and try for a chip and putt.
In Stableford, you may not have that luxury of taking a double, you may have get up and down Fromm 200 yards to score a point. As a result, you'll probably go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.