Stableford - Joke !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So.…….making it simple....you are playing a Stableford/Medal.
After 12 holes you are doing well 24pts/level par.
You take a 23 on the 13th hole.

How are you feeling/what are your thoughts on the 14th tee. for
a]your medal round
b] your stableford points total.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

a]your medal round

id of topped myself (or walked in) before stabbing it in the hole for a 23 so no thoughts for the 14th tee mate!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

a]your medal round

Its all relative to handicap though, any good golfer is not significantly bothered about how they get on at their local weekend medal. so a 23 on the 13th is effectively a double for me whether its a medal or stableford.

In golf NO ONE ever asks 'how many trophies have you won?', they always ask 'whats your handicap'.

too many people get hung up on the medal score situation, and i'm sure if more realised that all rounds (for handicap purposes) are s/ford. their scores would improve (As the pressure of medal is removed)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's not the point of what we were saying.

In a medal what would you do in this scenario.

You can play shot (a) that will guarantee you double bogey or shot (b) that has a 10% chance of bogey and 90% chance of triple bogey or worse.

In stableford you would go for option (b) because a shot that gives you a chance however slim for 1 point is better than playing safe and getting no points.

In a medal I'd imagine you would go for option (a) which is what I would do because the shot is too risky and could easily result in a round ending score

Shot a every time, a double is better than a treble.

Not surprised you don't like Stableford, you don't even understand how to play it. :rofl:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

a]your medal round

In stableford I'd have thought you'd have picked up after 6 shots

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I've scored on every hole in 3 stableford comps I've played this year, if nothing else it shows I can score points.

Because you're a decent golfer we'd expect you to score points. But your answers to our scenarios show that your don't understand the format properly.

You play it as a medal and just score it differently. We are saying it is a stroke play format in its own right which requires you to play it in a slightly different way to a medal

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
So Cabby , what you are saying is that you do not have the mental ability to change your mindset to the stableford format.

It’s just different ways to play the game,
Jeez

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So Cabby , what you are saying is that you do not have the mental ability to change your mindset to the stableford format.

Jeez

Yes, I'll concede my short comings in not playing the format as I choose to play the course.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Jeez

Phil, plenty of room on my brick wall for you to bang your head against ;)

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes, I'll concede my short comings in not playing the format as I choose to play the course.

Why have you ignored my post above?

You're admitting that you don't always play to achieve the best possible score in a Stableford competition - this could end up in you having an artificially high handicap which will aid you in your preferred medal competitions. This could be seen as cheating.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Dude/dudette, I'm trying to work and reply using my phone, I can't quote and reply to everyone and try and earn a living at the same time.

As for cheating with an artificial higher handicap, did you read my other topic about going up point one ?

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

You're admitting that you don't always play to achieve the best possible score in a Stableford competition - this could end up in you having an artificially high handicap which will aid you in your preferred medal competitions. This could be seen as cheating.

Dude/dudette, I'm trying to work and reply using my phone, I can't quote and reply to everyone and try and earn a living at the same time.

As for cheating with an artificial higher handicap, did you read my other topic about going up point one ?

i think Kellfire has a point. If you have played 3 stableford comps in the year, without trying to play the format as intended and getting the best score to lower your handicap and go up .3 from those stableford comps that you havent played the format correctly, that could be the difference between sake of argument 4 or 5hc. If you win your club championship by 1 shot of the 5hc thats not a true reflection of your HC as you have played those stableford comps against the way they are meant to be played and have an artificially inflated handicap.

Very suspect.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I agree, very suspect, apart from the fact I've made buffer in one, up point one in another and cut point 4 in the other, good try, fail though !

The end result doesn't render your intent irrelevant. You intended to return a higher score than would benefit your stableford score and thus potentially your handicap.

Status
Not open for further replies.