Stableford - Joke !

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 15344

Are attempting to say that the mindset [which of course was the bit that you ignored] for playing Stableford and Medal strokeplay is the same.:confused:

Mindset for me is the same anytime i play golf - to play well , enjoy it and do the best I can - I don’t play a shot differently because it’s a medal or a Stableford

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Just don t get this be more aggressive in stableford argument. I'm playing every time to get my handicap down, be it stableford or medal, I'm thinking reduction.

Oh try this
In Stableford , where the objective is points, you are out of position with a 180 yard up and down , over a green side stream, for a point. You have to go for it, nothing else will do, it’s a risky shot, but hell or bust.
But in medal with the same shot you could easily build up a cricket score or do you risk it and go for it, most would play upto the stream, pitch n put for a 7 rather than risk a 10

Does that explain why sometimes stableford promotes a more aggressive approach?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Just don t get this be more aggressive in stableford argument. I'm playing every time to get my handicap down, be it stableford or medal, I'm thinking reduction.

Imagine this scenario. Par 4 no shots you have played 3 and behind a large bunker, not much green to play with to get close to the flag.

The stableford mindset is I score some point or I score no points, a 6 is worth the same as 10 to me. I need to get up and down from this position to get 1 point. So I would look at playing a flop shot and trying to get it close enough to have a reasonable chance of a putt. It's high risk but worth is as there's nothing to lose if it goes wrong compared to the other option.

If that was the scenario in medal, it is unlikely that I'd play a flop, chances are I would aim away from the flag where the green is larger and give myself 2 putts. Because although I want the lowest score a 6 is definitely preferable to a 10 unlike stableford where it makes no difference.

The fact that there is a cut off of where you can score points means that in stableford you often roll the dice more than in a medal. If you are good golfer, single figure handicap then it won't make all that much difference but it may on 1 or 2 holes.

Medal - a blow up ruins your round so ideally you will play to keep a blow up off the card, whilst trying to score low.

Stableford - a blow up is no worse than a net double bogey, so the mind set is to get the most points you can regardless of potentially having a blow up

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm playing to get my reduced in every qualifier. Fair enough for others with gay abandon to score 3 rather than 2 points but for me a non scoring 6 is much better than a non scoring 7.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

It could be a 'medal mindset' that's holding a player back from maximising a stableford points score (likely he'd get out-pointed by someone with a blob on the card but more points!)

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm playing to get my reduced in every qualifier. Fair enough for others with gay abandon to score 3 rather than 2 points but for me a non scoring 6 is much better than a non scoring 7.

If you are playing to get your HC reduced then it’s your Stableford score that counts so your 6 and 7 are the same at the end of the day

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Cabby - are you basically saying that because of your bias against Stableford, you play every Stableford like a medal round and end up costing yourself points (and possibly a subsequent reduction, which oddly you say you strive for) because you refuse to alter your tactics for the format?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

That's not the point of what we were saying.

In a medal what would you do in this scenario.

You can play shot (a) that will guarantee you double bogey or shot (b) that has a 10% chance of bogey and 90% chance of triple bogey or worse.

In stableford you would go for option (b) because a shot that gives you a chance however slim for 1 point is better than playing safe and getting no points.

In a medal I'd imagine you would go for option (a) which is what I would do because the shot is too risky and could easily result in a round ending score

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
That's not the point of what we were saying.

In a medal what would you do in this scenario.

You can play shot (a) that will guarantee you double bogey or shot (b) that has a 10% chance of bogey and 90% chance of triple bogey or worse.

In stableford you would go for option (b) because a shot that gives you a chance however slim for 1 point is better than playing safe and getting no points.

In a medal I'd imagine you would go for option (a) which is what I would do because the shot is too risky and could easily result in a round ending score

Shot a every time, a double is better than a treble.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

Then you are playing the format wrong, which you can't blame the format for that is your own issue.

As I've stated in stableford there is no difference between a net double bogey and a net quintuple bogey all that matters is how many points you score, and both of those a nil points.

Most people who play stableford will opt for option (b) because that is the sensible shot in the circumstances and format despite it being so risky.

So your mind set doesn't change but that doesn't mean that is doesn't for most people

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Changing the goal posts then what you would do in match play.

Same scenario your partner has holed it in 5, do you take the risky shot to give you a chance of a half or play safe and guarantee the loss of hole.

Stableford is no different

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
By not playing to get the best score possible, as in he would play for a score that gets him 0 points ahead of a score that gets him 1 point on a hole, can we say that Cabby is artificially inflating his handicap and is thus a cheat?

:O

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

But in a Stableford format there may be no difference
Either could score you no points.
In Stableford there is no point in playing for a double when a double gets you nothing. You go all out in the hope that you can scrape a point by gambling on the bogey.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
But in a Stableford format there may be no difference
Either could score you no points.
In Stableford there is no point in playing for a double when a double gets you nothing. You go all out in the hope that you can scrape a point by gambling on the bogey.

And may be this is my stableford downfall then but 1) I rarely play stableford and 2) I rarely non score on a hole.

Possibly my stableford strategy needs to change but so far this season I've played 3 stableford comps and scored on 54 holes so I must be doing something right.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Possibly my stableford strategy needs to change but so far this season I've played 3 stableford comps and scored on 54 holes so I must be doing something right.

So you have just got the hump because somebody blobbed a hole and beat you? :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.