Stableford - Joke !

Status
Not open for further replies.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Again another good post and I get what you mean about chapping away to run up a 15 but for me, I'm only concerned about myself, I have consideration for others while playing but if it means they are put out while I'm battling away on a particular hole, then that's just how it is, I'm only really concerned about my score, not anyone else's.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
You're talking about matchplay ye ? Matchplay ! not strokeplay,

Yes, see! And you are talking about Stableford, ye?. Stabelford, not medal. Get it? It is a different game. Just get over it. Don't play it if you don't like it. Your tone was condescending and aggressive from the very first post, even if you don't perceive it as so. So don't complain when people react accordingly.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yes, see! And you are talking about Stableford, ye?. Stabelford, not medal. Get it? It is a different game. Just get over it. Don't play it if you don't like it. Your tone was condescending and aggressive from the very first post, even if you don't perceive it as so. So don't complain when people react accordingly.

I've been repeatedly told that stableford is strokeplay on here so...errr....

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I like stableford because I am crap at golf and always have a few terrible holes so its easier for me to compete.
I dont have the time or the inclination to work hard to improve my game, I am perfectly happy as I am.
I play for fun, not to pay the bills.
I totally get what cabby is saying and agree with him in the man.
Just not sure he needs to keep banging on about it!
You are good at golf and you dont like stableford, fair play mate. Each to their own. 👍

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Again yet more nonsense interpretation of what I said.

Simple enough what I said, someone only completes 17 holes but finishes higher than someone who competed 18, joke !

Cabby,

Whilst most of us get your point (ie, you don't like the stableford format) I think the point you miss is that golf is a game of 18 holes, end of, the only difference is the format. It doesn't matter how many holes you finish or not it's a total of all the holes you score on. Someone scoring zero points on hole 18 to win a stableford is no different to someone who scores a 6 on a par 3 and wins a strokeplay medal or even someone who completes 18 holes matchplay and wins 1 up despite having a poorer "score" over 18 holes.

Stableford has it's place in the game, some people are more used to it than others, some like it more than others, it doesn't mean it's wrong and in fact 86 years of stableford in competition would suggest it's far from wrong.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you'd rather he teed off the 18th, smashed the first tee shot out of bounds, teed up again and stuff it in a bunker, took two to get out so then picked him his ball and walked off. His final score would have been exactly the same but he'd have played 18 holes. Why is that any better?

If that's what you think I'm saying, then crack on.

Explain yourself better then. Because you've lost me. You said the guy doesn't deserve to win because he only completed 17 holes. So if he teed up on the 18th, smashed the ball out of bounds and blobbed that hole, that would surely be fine in your logic because he played all 18 holes then? His score would be the same though.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I never said he won anything. I fundamentally cannot agree someone only finishing 17 of 18 holes should be placed above someone who finished 18 holes, you are interpreting he never played hole 18.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The format played is irrelevant to me, I PLAY golf because I LIKE goilf, and I would play more if I had the chance.
I dont change my clubs, balls or anything because I am playing a different format, I'm playing golf.....thats all that matters.

TBH, I really dont get the snobbery about any of the formats within the game, it's golf....we all like it and play for fun. If we don't like it, give up and play bowls of something else instead.:)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never said he won anything. I fundamentally cannot agree someone only finishing 17 of 18 holes should be placed above someone who finished 18 holes, you are interpreting he never played hole 18.
Oh christ, I assumed you meant he walked off after 18 because the alternative made you look like a crazy person. My bad. So this really was just another pointless dig at Stableford. As you were.

The chap who played 18 and scored 33 will be absolutely fine with it by the way, because he entered a Stableford comp so he knew he was playing Stableford. I doubt he would support your moral outrage on the subject. :rofl:

D

Deleted member 23270

Again yet more nonsense interpretation of what I said.

Simple enough what I said, someone only completes 17 holes but finishes higher than someone who competed 18, joke !

Interesting that in matchplay you may only complete 10 holes but still win. Good innit? :D

D

Deleted member 23270

Yep you've made that perfectly clear but that's how it is so deal with it.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Shame not everyone is born a scratch golfer then.
And people wonder why less people are playing and clubs are closing with attitudes like that around.:rolleyes:

Nobody is born a scratch golfer so I really do not see your point.

Club's/societies who are forever running stableford competitions are just dumbing down golf as it is meant to be played and pandering to the mediocre.

D

Deleted member 23270

Club's/societies who are forever running stableford competitions are just dumbing down golf as it is meant to be played and pandering to the mediocre.

Possibly but then I don't want to be stuck behind a load of wannabee's for 5 hours whilst they putt out for 10's and 12's on every hole because the format won't allow them to pick up and move on.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Possibly but then I don't want to be stuck behind a load of wannabee's for 5 hours whilst they putt out for 10's and 12's on every hole because the format won't allow them to pick up and move on.

This for me. Most casual weekend golf in the roll ups is stableford for this very reason.

Most of our comps are medals though.

Not sure why Cabby thinks that all anyone plays down here is stableford though. It isnt.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Nobody is born a scratch golfer so I really do not see your point.

Surely 'mediocre' is subjective?

To some people a scratch golfer who isnt on tour would be mediocre and to others the same golfer would be god-like!

Status
Not open for further replies.