Stableford - Joke !

Status
Not open for further replies.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Every club you are aware off, you obviously live a sheltered life.

Only big tour event I know about that plays Stableford is the Trilby and we all know about the Trilby tour.......

I've played at a lot of clubs, all Club Championships I have seen or played in are medals, usually 36 holes, with a scratch champion and a net champion.

Every club also has a summer and winter knockout which are board comps.

Would the Barracuda Championship count a big event, on the PGA Tour and worth 300 Fed Ex points for the winner, the winner also gets a 2 year exemption on the tour and entry into the PGA Championship

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree with Gabby and a lot of the other comments here that Stableford is not a true format of golf but just a way that lets poorer players remain competitive in club matches in order to keep the interest going when they have a bad round which is probably most times they play

What's the point of having a handicap?

Every club you are aware off, you obviously live a sheltered life.

I have played golf for almost 50 years all over the world and every time I have been club champion its been medal, no matchplay in sight.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I am just glad the Pro's don't play Stableford, just imagine The Open being a Stableford event............

Still ignoring the fact that they are, even if it is in rare cases.

Come to think of it are there any club opens staged as Stableford event ?

In Germany Stableford scoring is used for pretty much all club competitions, including the club opens. Some clubs split it up and have a medal for lower handicaps (usually category 1 and 2) and a Stableford for everyone else. Because comp rounds are slow enough as they are.

And even though the official rules state that even in a Stableford event the player has the right to play out a hole even if he can't score any more points on a hole, I know quite a few clubs where that is strictly forbidden and even though they cannot invoke an ingame punishment for that (so no penalty strokes or DQ), I know of cases where players have been banned from tournament play for excessivly doing it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club mainly has medals through the summer, and Stablefords in the winter when conditions are poorer. That seems like a good system to me, surprised more others don't do it though. That way you don't have to rip up your card when you get stuck in a damp bunker or plugged in some mud or whatever.

I don't really have a preference, I like medal or Stableford, it's nice to have a variety. It's all golf at the end of the day.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've played at a lot of clubs, all Club Championships I have seen or played in are medals, usually 36 holes, with a scratch champion and a net champion.

Every club also has a summer and winter knockout which are board comps.

Would the Barracuda Championship count a big event, on the PGA Tour and worth 300 Fed Ex points for the winner, the winner also gets a 2 year exemption on the tour and entry into the PGA Championship

It's not the same tho is it ?

They play a modified Stableford where you get nothing for a par but extra points for eagles and they take point of for bogeys and even more for doubles, I am sure your normal club golfer playing Stableford wouldn't be happy with getting no points for a par and points deducted for bogeys. And what would happy to Mr Blob

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
It's not the same tho is it ?

They play a modified Stableford where you get nothing for a par but extra points for eagles and they take point of for bogeys and even more for doubles, I am sure your normal club golfer playing Stableford wouldn't be happy with getting no points for a par and points deducted for bogeys. And what would happy to Mr Blob

It's still stableford, just the scoring is different.

The idea is the same that there is no further penalty once you reach a cut off point. In this case double bogey, so if a pro misses a bogey putt they don't need to carry on because it no longer matters what their score on the hole is because they cannot score any worse. A 10 is worth the same as a 6 on a par 4.

Same idea different scoring method

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's still stableford, just the scoring is different.

The idea is the same that there is no further penalty once you reach a cut off point. In this case double bogey, so if a pro misses a bogey putt they don't need to carry on because it no longer matters what their score on the hole is because they cannot score any worse. A 10 is worth the same as a 6 on a par 4.

Same idea different scoring method

Just the same but different :thup:

That's like saying take your time and hurry up

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
But the point Cabby originally criticized and that started this thread still applies: they can blob a hole, pick up their ball and move an and still win the tournament.

Which brings us full circle back to it being a joke.

End of story.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Which brings us full circle back to it being a joke.

End of story.

It's not the end of the story because you proclaim it as such. If you thought that why start a discussion thread.

The only suggestion on here that is end of story is, don't like the format don't play, if you want to play don't start whinging about the format.

Those are your two options.

End of story

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It’s the end of the story now as I’ve closed the thread.

It’s gone full circle and just repeating the same arguments from both sides of the coin.

Time to move on

Status
Not open for further replies.