Stableford - Joke !

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I enjoy both formats although I do feel that I concentrate more when its strokeplay, my own club have far more strokeplay comps than stableford so its a welcome change when one comes along.

During the winter we will often play for a bit of fun 6/6/6, try telling your partner during the last six holes that your blob is irrelevant !!

As others have said there is room for both formats.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I enjoy both formats although I do feel that I concentrate more when its strokeplay, my own club have far more strokeplay comps than stableford so its a welcome change when one comes along.

During the winter we will often play for a bit of fun 6/6/6, try telling your partner during the last six holes that your blob is irrelevant !!

As others have said there is room for both formats.

Stableford is strokeplay!

From when the new handicap system kicks in, there really will be no difference. After a net double, you will be able to pick up, and still be in the medal.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I was interested in the scenario posted by the OP where a player in a stableford comp who completed all 18 holes was beaten by a player who maybe only finished 16 or 17 (or indeed fewer) holes. I got to wondering how many comps were won by a player who NR'd on a hole. So I went digging in my clubs past comp results.

Over the 11 St'ford comps played at my club so far this year only 1 has been won by someone who didn't score on all 18 holes....but in that instance the player who finished 2nd or 3rd didn't score on every hole either.....in fact, you have to go down to 7th place to find a player who recorded a score on every hole....and he ended up a full 6 points behind the eventual winner.

Last year...of 19 Stableford comps....only 2 were won by players who NR'd a hole....and in both cases the runner up also NR'd a hole.

The trouble is...you don't know the reason why a player didn't score on a particular hole....perhaps he had a 20 footer for a double bogey on a non shot hole, lagged it to six inches and knocked his ball away without tapping in. In Medal he would have tapped in for treble bogey and moved on...in Stableford his score would be an NR for the hole.

The simple evidence is, is that Stableford comps are NOT being won, week in week out, by players who are failing to complete all 18 holes. In the vast majority of cases the players who did win, would have won, irrespective of the format.

I played skins today....I shot a level par gross 70 (off 8, which is 3/4 of my normal 10 handicap...skins are a social thing we play when there isn't an official club comp on and everyone knows the agreed allowances before we start).....and won not a single skin.....perhaps I should consider the skins format an utter travesty because my three birdies all came at holes where I don't get a shot?

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I was interested in the scenario posted by the OP where a player in a stableford comp who completed all 18 holes was beaten by a player who maybe only finished 16 or 17 (or indeed fewer) holes. I got to wondering how many comps were won by a player who NR'd on a hole. So I went digging in my clubs past comp results.

Over the 11 St'ford comps played at my club so far this year only 1 has been won by someone who didn't score on all 18 holes....but in that instance the player who finished 2nd or 3rd didn't score on every hole either.....in fact, you have to go down to 7th place to find a player who recorded a score on every hole....and he ended up a full 6 points behind the eventual winner.

Last year...of 19 Stableford comps....only 2 were won by players who NR'd a hole....and in both cases the runner up also NR'd a hole.

The trouble is...you don't know the reason why a player didn't score on a particular hole....perhaps he had a 20 footer for a double bogey on a non shot hole, lagged it to six inches and knocked his ball away without tapping in. In Medal he would have tapped in for treble bogey and moved on...in Stableford his score would be an NR for the hole.

The simple evidence is, is that Stableford comps are NOT being won, week in week out, by players who are failing to complete all 18 holes. In the vast majority of cases the players who did win, would have won, irrespective of the format.

I played skins today....I shot a level par gross 70 (off 8, which is 3/4 of my normal 10 handicap...skins are a social thing we play when there isn't an official club comp on and everyone knows the agreed allowances before we start).....and won not a single skin.....perhaps I should consider the skins format an utter travesty because my three birdies all came at holes where I don't get a shot?

Good post Nick me man.👍

I was was going to say, is this meant as a serious discussion. Ie stableford-joke. Am sure when people play golf, they know the same rules apply to everyone before they play. Is it not lost on the op that if he blobs on the first hole he still has a chance over the next 17. Finding this topic a difficult one to take serious.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe the thing to do here is define what completing a hole is.

I’m sure the rules say you don’t need to hole out to complete a hole.

You can play 18 holes and not hole out on all of them in some formats and win against someone who holes out on 18.

You both played 18 holes but just completed some under a different part of the rules.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Maybe the thing to do here is define what completing a hole is.

I’m sure the rules say you don’t need to hole out to complete a hole.

You can play 18 holes and not hole out on all of them in some formats and win against someone who holes out on 18.

You both played 18 holes but just completed some under a different part of the rules.

Exactly. Think about matchplay for example. You can win a match or concede it after any number of holes. And still no one would say: "oh, you didn't hole out on all 18 holes, it doesn't count" Because once a winner is determined, the outcome of the rest of the holes would be irrelevant. In Stableford it is similar. Once you have exceeded the number of shots on a hole which would still give you points, it is irrelevant how many more shots you would need. It does not matter if you just missed a putt or if you hit your third provisional out of bounds. A blob is a blob. So for god's sake pick up and move on. In Stableford, a blob is not a NR. It just is 0 points on that hole.

D

Deleted member 21258

This forum is absolutely bonkers, stableford is a purer form of the game, stableford should be for swindles, you only score on 17 holes so you should not win, anyone above 5 hcap should give up the game, choppers, women are slow players, all board comps should be medal, someone wouldn't have won if it had been medal rather than stableford, threats at people, diluted form to keep poorer players interested . What amazes me is quite a few oof the people with very strong opinions are on committees etc in golf, people winding up people constantly like Homer.

I think that's it for me chaps, the forum really needs to change, as the current position really restricts the people who would take part in the forum. I wish you all well.:thup:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Getting Deja Vu reading this thread, I'm sure Cabby posted this a month or two ago.

Stableford is great for mid to high handicappers who may be prone to a big score, for lower handicappers it doesn't make much difference because they are less likely to get huge scores and their no scores are going to be generally double bogey.

It's hardly a joke just a different format, you lost that format. You can be the better player in match play and lose, like in all sport being the better player/side doesn't mean you will win.

Either don't play stableford or just get used to the format and don't moan about someone who blobs and outscores you because that is the whole point of the format

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Getting Deja Vu reading this thread, I'm sure Cabby posted this a month or two ago.

Stableford is great for mid to high handicappers who may be prone to a big score, for lower handicappers it doesn't make much difference because they are less likely to get huge scores and their no scores are going to be generally double bogey.

It's hardly a joke just a different format, you lost that format. You can be the better player in match play and lose, like in all sport being the better player/side doesn't mean you will win.

Either don't play stableford or just get used to the format and don't moan about someone who blobs and outscores you because that is the whole point of the format

agree with this, i don't tend to bother anymore with it but when i was a high handicap i got most if not all my cuts from Stableford.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is not about handicap, it's about the fact that a player only finishes 17 holes yet scores better than someone who finishes 18 holes, again, how can that be right, the game is played over 18 from memory, it's a bit like folk telling you your score after 9 holes...eh ? The game is over 18 not 9.
It's the same as if he played the 18th and blobbed it.

When people enter a Stableford they know exactly what they're getting into. You can have one disaster hole and still win - in a medal you can't. That's just how it is, and everyone is aware of it. Seems churlish and redundant to debate the merits of it now. Would be like saying "how is better ball fair, you could have a terrible round and your partner plays a blinder and wins it for you!" Or someone could say the opposite of you and say "medal golf is completely unfair, you could have 17 holes of your life, and be stuck in one bunker and ruin the round!" You can pick fault in any format if you really want to. Most people don't, they just enter the format that suits them.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...it's about the fact that a player only finishes 17 holes yet scores better than someone who finishes 18 holes, again, how can that be right, the game is played over 18 from memory...
Wrong again!

As I believe someone else has stated, Stableford is actually 18 'chances to score'! The fact that not all of them are used is neither here nor there!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
This forum is absolutely bonkers, stableford is a purer form of the game, stableford should be for swindles, you only score on 17 holes so you should not win, anyone above 5 hcap should give up the game, choppers, women are slow players, all board comps should be medal, someone wouldn't have won if it had been medal rather than stableford, threats at people, diluted form to keep poorer players interested . What amazes me is quite a few oof the people with very strong opinions are on committees etc in golf, people winding up people constantly like Homer.

I think that's it for me chaps, the forum really needs to change, as the current position really restricts the people who would take part in the forum. I wish you all well.:thup:

Well said.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Some of the controversial threads and posts are good for sparking debate (might even be why it's done), however it is getting a little out of hand and going round in circles

Just ignore it. Don't let it detract from the many great posters there are here

I'm sure it won't be long before action is taken...
:thup:

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm sure it won't be long before action is taken...
:thup:

Action taken against what ?

It's a 10 page topic that has allowed anyone to put their view forward, had it been that rubbish and ignored, it wouldn't make 10 pages would it ? From what I recall in this topic, the only one who received personal abuse was me so what's the issue, if it's a non subject it wouldn't get off the ground.

The last topic I started made 26 pages, guess that was rubbish and should've been ignored also, guess what ? 26 pages tells me otherwise.

If the subject matter doesn't interest you, move along, don't read it or reply in it, seems to work perfectly well for most.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

It's a 10 page topic that has allowed anyone to put their view forward, had it been that rubbish and ignored, it wouldn't make 10 pages would it ? From what I recall in this topic, the only one who received personal abuse was me so what's the issue, if it's a non subject it wouldn't get off the ground.

The last topic I started made 26 pages, guess that was rubbish and should've been ignored also, guess what ? 26 pages tells me otherwise.

If the subject matter doesn't interest you, move along, don't read it or reply in it, seems to work perfectly well for most.

some pretty poor treatment you have had on this Gabby, you have your opinions, if you don't agree, just have to state you don't or post why you don't agree etc. No need for the trolling going on here easp from a couple of the worst trolls on here.

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
All joking aside I can understand the point Cabby is making in stroke play it is pure, every shot counts.

I suppose it is akin to an individual time trial in cycling there are no team mates to draft, no one sacrificing themselves for the good of the team i.e. it is you and your time - completely naked.

But for a higher handicapper like me it is nice having the option to pick up and put those two shots OOB off the tee out of my mind and walk to the next hole without ruining my entire competition. If I am hacking around I put myself under pressure both for my fellow players (especially if they are single figures) and those behind. In that scenario I seem to rush and play even worse.

Last edited:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Persecution complex much?
Not necessarily on about you, or just you.

I enjoy some of your posts and I agreed they can spark good debate, some I find I agree with, some I don't - as it should be.

However, more and more frequently topics degrade away from healthy debate and some posts (by certain individuals) just seem like regurgitation to get a reaction

It doesn't affect my participation one iota but obviously it does affect others (some of whom are good posters and good people)

All the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.