Stableford - Joke !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
But the fairer sex do frequent this forum and rightly so and therefore I was not going to comment on what I would rather look at:thup:

Im gonna hope that everyone can see sense and accept that the people on said shows know exactly why they’re their and why the viewers (of which I’m not one) watch it.

Now where’s my shovel....

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm asking the question, golf in strokeplay/medal call it what you want, is over 18 holes which I think we all agree on, so how can it be that a player who only finishes 17 be placed above someone who played 18.

Jean Van de Velde would be an Open Champion if the game was over 17 holes.

Because benefited more points in those 17 holes than the other guy did from 18.
It's quite a simple concept.
I could have a No score on 9 holes and nett Eagle the other 9 so scoring 36 points.
You may score on all 18 holes but only come in with 35.
Therefore, ACCORDING TO THE RULES AND THE FORMAT, I win.....
See....really easy to grasp isn't it.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Don't like, don't play.

This is not about liking or not liking the format.

Players don’t get a handicap as soon as they roll up to a course for the first time. I’d imagine there are quite a few players who only play sociably. That’s where stableford is ideal.

If someone doesn't have a handicap, how do they receive shots on specific holes ??/ That is one I'd really like to know.

Stableford is just a different scoring format - it’s still played over 18 , it’s still golf , you still play tbe same shots , it can be a more agressive way of playing , it can be more enjoyable way of playing , it’s also a quicker way of playing and a less stressful way of playing

How is it quicker ? How is it more aggressive ? How is it less stressful ??

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm asking the question, golf in strokeplay/medal call it what you want, is over 18 holes which I think we all agree on, so how can it be that a player who only finishes 17 be placed above someone who played 18.

He wouldn't because the score is taken over 18 holes as it was with your man who only competed 17

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's a format that ain't going away so the OP has a choice. Don't enter the comp if you don't like the format or suck it up and get on with it. It's one that I feel is more inclusive for many club members, especially some of the older ones who may (current conditions notwithstanding) struggle off the white tees and many handicap golfers can throw a horror hole that ruins any chance of remaining competitive in the competition. At least stableford gives you a chance to recover and keep going.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Someone battles away for 18 holes, scores 33 points, playing partner only manages to finish 17 holes, scores 35 points.

The game is about 18 holes from memory.

But both players HAVE played 18 holes I suspect, he just didn't score on the 18th

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
But both players HAVE played 18 holes I suspect, he just didn't score on the 18th

Nope, he pulled a drive in to the trees, played his second shot then picked up, yet it seems it's hunky dory to just pick up in a competition and still be placed higher than someone who played and holes out at all 18 holes, bizzare I know but strangely true.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

you play 18 in both formats - end of.

Last edited by a moderator:

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do think cabby has a point. It’s a format favoured by most clubs in England because some golfers are scared of medal play :eek: participation tends to be higher.... ‘but at my club etc etc’ on the whole this is true. It is a comfort blanket and doesn’t encourage improvement IMO. I’d rather play a medal, but as cabby says you play the comp that is on.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I do think cabby has a point. It’s a format favoured by most clubs in England because some golfers are scared of medal play :eek: participation tends to be higher.... ‘but at my club etc etc’ on the whole this is true. It is a comfort blanket and doesn’t encourage improvement IMO. I’d rather play a medal, but as cabby says you play the comp that is on.

Comfort blanket, brilliant !

I've been saying all along it doesn't encourage improvement.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not all time I must add, Golf can be fun.....but for board comps etc

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
You score points, if you can’t make points you pick up. Dead simple.
Either way you can still put the gross score down over 18 holes. If you can’t score any points your partners won’t like you if you insist on putting out for fook all.

I view medals as Stablefords as I know my handicap is based on it. I couldn’t care about winning a comp and a poxy voucher. I’ll NR a hole if I can’t be bothered.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Presumably dead against matchplay too where someone could score significantly lower than the other person but still lose as they did it on the wrong holes?

D

Deleted member 16999

Someone battles away for 18 holes, scores 33 points, playing partner only manages to finish 17 holes, scores 35 points.

The game is about 18 holes from memory.
Because it’s allowed under the rules of golf.

32-1/2 Omitting Holes in Bogey, Par or Stableford Competition
Q.In a bogey, par or Stableford competition, may a player omit, for example, two holes for the round and return a score for 16 holes?

A.Yes. Under Rule 32-1a, any hole for which a competitor makes no return in a bogey or par competition is regarded as a loss. Under Rule 32-1b, if no score is returned on a hole in a Stableford competition, the competitor scores no points for that hole.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
The difference between stroke and points to me is that stroke is over 18 compulsary and continuous chances to improve OR destroy a good score. Stableford is 18 individual chances to only improve your score.
Example, Castlerock on Thursday, guy only finished 16 holes and had 45 points, it's a stableford comp so winner winner chicken dinner, it'll annoy a lot of fellas but heyvho, thems the conditions of the comp and enter at your own peril. If it was stroke I'd suspect 4 or 5 under nett would have won.

Status
Not open for further replies.