Stableford - Joke !

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 3432

I don't like stableford either so I don't play them. Works for me.

Medal play at weekends in general with Stableford comps off yellows on a wednesday so all is good as far as I'm concerned.

Nothing against them as such, just not my cup off tea.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a mixture of stroke and stableford board events. Very happy with the mix. For me, cliche as it is, it's about taking one shot at a time and not compounding one bad shot with another and seeing what I score at the end. I hate no scoring on a hole in stableford. It means I've had a horror, not used my shot effectively and not thought or played cleverly. When I play I don't really differentiate between formats and know my score anyway as I'm going round

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Stableford was developed because so many golfers at Wallasey were tearing up cards after a few holes due to the inability to play into the strong winds on long par 4s and Dr Stableford wanted golfers to enjoy the game more.

What is the point of playing if the majority don't enjoy it. There would be fewer golfers, fewer courses and it would be a more elitist game than it is due to cost.

Players have to start somewhere and juniors, particularly, can be up and down. Encourage, don't beat them up at the start.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
None of our board comps are stableford, which I agree with, it’s a more fun/social format, hence why it’s played at almost all meets as it’s a leveller allowing everyone to enjoy themselves and feel more inclusive without undue pressure.

I also think the format does encorouge improvement, I will be more aggressive taking on the course more trying to hit more greens in regulation whereas in stroke play I’ll play more within myself and play more calculated shots short of the green and hazards if it’s a long tight hole then look to chip close for a single putt par or bogey at worse, so in stableford I’ll play more risk & reward and if it doesn’t work, I don’t score, pick up & move on, I’ve still played the hole, but a couple of 3 pointers later will give me that hole back.

There’s a place for it within the framework of club golf, it shouldn’t be used for major club comps but for more social comps it’s a very good format to give confidence to those new to the game and when it’s a Pro’s/Captains/Charity day etc.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its just Cabby being obtuse again.

He may as well have asked how come a player can win a matchplay contest by only completing 16 holes - whereas the losing player completed all 18. Stableford is merely a variation on a basic theme of smacking a ball across a field into a hole. Some like it, some don't. Theres nothing more to say really ...

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I prefer medals to Stableford, but I do see its attractions, and for myself I would rather be stuck behind a beginner in a stableford where they can pick up when they cant score rather than be thrashing around for many shots in a medal.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Although I haven’t read all the posts in the thread - I prefer to play Stableford but would concede it is a format less arduous than Medal.

But as I play golf for enjoyment and not a living first and foremost, and also enter more than my fair share of both formats then when my club runs a Stableford I don’t lose any sleep over it.

At the he end of the day your score is based on all 18 holes irrespective if you finish all 18 or not.

The player who blobs one hole and scores 35 might just be gutted that their blob has cost him / her a potential 37 or 38 as I don’t imagine he / she set out to blob it.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its just Cabby being obtuse again.

He may as well have asked how come a player can win a matchplay contest by only completing 16 holes - whereas the losing player completed all 18. Stableford is merely a variation on a basic theme of smacking a ball across a field into a hole. Some like it, some don't. Theres nothing more to say really ...

Can we just change his user name to thrush...

Most obvious troll I’ve seen on any forum

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get the, if you don't like it don't play it, fair enough but if that's the only comp on that day, guess you gotta suck it up.

The point of letting people feel they have a chance....isn't that why they have a handicap in the first place ?

Here's another question, which I'm sure i've asked before, why is it such a popular format in England yet rarely used by clubs in Scotland ?

I don't know is the honest answer (maybe as it was invented at Wallasey?) but this comment comes quite a lot from some of us Scots and does come across as quite chippy which doesn't help the discussion from the off IMO (i.e. I only play Medal so my handicap is better than yours).

My club has very, very few stableford comps at weekend (midweek is stableford but I play about 1 a year) so it is a bit of a fallacy also.

To me it depends on how you view the game of golf, are you competing to win a comp or are you competing against yourself? I'm firmly in the latter camp so every time I tee off (regardless of format) I'm trying to score the lowest I can so Stableford or Medal are, or would be, no different to me in terms of comps.

For society/opens etc can see why it is used as it can (not always mind) be quicker and also gives more folk a chance to win as blow ups can be covered up.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Stableford is great for a swindle

usually have side bets galore, play better ball if in 4s or skins in 3s

Winner takes the cash and buys the drinks, usually a tale or too of being on 37 points with 2 holes left and blowing it... plenty of excitement very rare to finish on 16 or 17 and win

When it comes to competitions medals all the way... can you still hold a golf club when it matters coming down the stretch

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Medal - Joke!

Someone pitty-pats it round for 18 holes, scores 95 gross, playing partner on same handicap plays heroic golf but ends up losing ball on one hole and NRs, finishes 17 holes, but scores 70 gross for those 17.

Pitty-pat player wins, joke.

(Just another angle on this riveting debate ;))

D

Deleted member 18588

Medal - Joke!

Someone pitty-pats it round for 18 holes, scores 95 gross, playing partner on same handicap plays heroic golf but ends up losing ball on one hole and NRs, finishes 17 holes, but scores 70 gross for those 17.

Pitty-pat player wins, joke.

(Just another angle on this riveting debate ;))

Then said heroic golfer should reload on the hole where he lost his ball and try again.

That, to me, is the real test and l speak as one who is now once again a high handicap hacker.

Even if playing on my own it would never occur to me to keep my score in Stableford format.

Might be an age thing but I am with Cabby on this.

D

Deleted member 1147

It’s a ridiculous format.
Today I shot 73, 1 over par, and got 40 points, which is 4 under.
As I was playing off 5 that seems to be perfectly correct.
Crazy

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Medal is all about playing the 'safe' game, taking the easy option and playing within yourself to eliminate any big scoring holes
Stableford invites pushing your limits and usually leads to more exciting (sometimes even careless) play

Both are played (& scores taken) over 18 holes or multiples thereof

I like both

If anything Greensomes is the joke format (a bit like a scramble)

Status
Not open for further replies.