Stableford - Joke !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like both formats, however stableford is the quicker format as players can pick up once they cant score on that hole and thus help to keep the round down to a reasonable time.
Whats so wrong with that?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
It is just a different game. Think of it that way: Normal stroke play means you have to play 18 holes and add up all your shots. Stableford means you have 18 opportunities to make points. Opportunity being the operative word here. If you blob a hole, you wasted that opportunity. Done. You can't redeem yourself by 'saving' a triple bogey with a briliant putt. Move on.

I hate nothing more than players who insist on hitting their third provisional ball or fourth putt for a 10 in a Stableford game. When you can't score any more points on a hole you pick up and move on. Especially when there are already others waiting to play that hole (which at least at our place is ususally the case in a comp)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Jean Van de Velde would be an Open Champion if the game was over 17 holes.

Twaddle! Yet again!

Just don't play Stableford comps if you dislike it that much, but...
a) If you DO play a Stableford comp, don't complain about the format!
b) Recognise it's how your handicap is maintained - and the same, effectively, applies worldwide

And, my view, recognise that your Golf would be very much more expensive without Stableford scoring!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have always considered Stableford as a diluted form of golf to keep poorer players interested. Scrambles dilutes it even further.

Medal play/match play singles/foursomes is what it is all about. May even include bogey in that.

The Fader

Visit site
To throw a slighly different angle into the debate.

Is it also "crazy" that the winner of most club medal competitions does not have the lowest score................ until handicaps are taken into account. Should we also remove handicaps from the game so the best player on the day is rewarded with the win?

Perhaps the OP should only play scratch medal events?

I enjoy all forms of the game, even the odd game of 4somes. But there is the key word - enjoy. Where would be the enjoyment in playing medal format every round?

For 99.9% of us - golf is a leisure activity which should be enjoyed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
New point of view

with handicap limits now at 54 do newcomers need a different format to full stroke to enjoy and compete against better players?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Both as a relatively low and a mid handicap player I have always much preffered to play stableford when there are high to very high handicap players in the group because you can tell them to stop pfaffing around and pick the ball up.

If there is one thing I hate about modern golf it being on a course for 4 hours in a friendly game.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Different game.

Would be interesting to see how a Pro event panned out over 4 days of stableford.

They would be much more aggressive. Strokeplay means that Professionals play pretty risk averse golf most of the time.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Different types of golf, room for both, but can a fella who only plays stablefords & not medals call themselves a golfer???
Some only play stableford comps @ our place!! :eek:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I have always considered Stableford as a diluted form of golf to keep poorer players interested.

Egad! I'm pretty certain that most would be in agreement - something pretty rare for a DfT post!

Though, I'd adjust it slightly to include 'any who had 'blowout' early in the round' - a pretty common event at Wallasey!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Different types of golf, room for both, but can a fella who only plays stablefords & not medals call themselves a golfer???
Some only play stableford comps @ our place!! :eek:

Some only have access to stableford comps....
Haven't been able to play a Medal in nearly 2 years..

D

Deleted member 15344

Cabby what are you going to do next year when the new rules come in that allows a player to pick up the ball and just be given double the par and then still keep on playing

So you can play a medal but only 17 holes 😲😬

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Its a game of golf. Not my favourite format but its a game of golf with like minded people. A good craic is all I need to enjoy it. Wasting time/breath worrying about the format just makes for grumpy people. Life's too short for that sort of rubbish.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ok I’ll take this one guys.

Some of of us started off 28 or even higher handicaps, we didn’t all start as a scratch golfer like yourself (I presume).

It is a format that allows people to feel to feel like they have a chance when they start out, i people joined their mates all of let’s say 18 and proceeded to finish 40 shots behind, would they have tried again? Doubtful. But if they finished say 10 points behind having had a few encouraging holes, they’d likely try again.

If you are so against stableford. Don’t play it. I’m not a fan of Love Island, so guess what. I don’t watch it.

Also, in what way did he not finish a hole? Did he lose 5 balls off the tee and say ‘balls to it, I’ll walk to the next’ or did he miss a putt for 1 point then pick up. If it was the latter then you’re missing the point of what the stableford format is about.

You just seem to enjoy telling everyone how good you are, and when someone has beaten you, it’s the formats fault. Should have tried scoring a few more points 👍🏻

Status
Not open for further replies.