St Andrews every 5 years?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
This winds me up, it's The Open.

No wind up. 'The Open' was always valid, but more a curio for afficionados. Up to the last 20 years, it was called the British Open by pretty much everyone one, including pros, the press, international, and local.
The R&A tried very hard to make 'The Open' happen. And to be fair, it has happened. How quickly and easily we are manipulated and fall into line with corporate branding.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
5 years is too often for StA's though. Once in 8 or 10 would be plenty. It just isnt a good enough course really, by the history is worth something and they do indeed want to win there. Keeping it that bit rarer would add to its specialness and limit the downside of playing at a weak course.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I don't have a problem with it being on the Old Course with regularity. If anything I'd say we need more alternatives for the rotation.

Its often said that Wembley should never have been rebuilt as England on tour was great as everyone could go. Imo if the money from the R and a was spent wisely then we could easily have 20 plus courses worthy of hosting it.

As it stands it goes to a few regions back n forth.

D

Deleted member 15344

The problem is the Open must be play on a Links course and needs to be on a course that has the facilities to host it both in terms of access and having the space to keep the fans so straight away it limits the amount of courses that can host it

Looking around the country that doesn’t leave many courses outside the rota as it is

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
And any post Brexit of secession of NI would remove Portrush again, and the Scotland independence scenario would presumably remove the English ones. The need for a few new Scottish options would become very pressing.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The problem is the Open must be play on a Links course and needs to be on a course that has the facilities to host it both in terms of access and having the space to keep the fans so straight away it limits the amount of courses that can host it

Looking around the country that doesn’t leave many courses outside the rota as it is

Obvious one for me that could be added would be Royal Aberdeen.

I've never played at Porthcawl but I can't imagine that it has the infrastructure.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Hopefully politics could be kept out of sport/ golf. God forbid we should have a Bojo, May, Cameron, Corbyn, wee Jimmy Karankie types telling us how to run the game of golf. Leave the open rotation as it is post leave Europe.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Roads, public transport, accommodation?

Fair enough as I said I've never played it only had the displeasure of playing Prestatyn and 2010 courses in Wales.
Short distance from the M4, close to Swansea for accommodation, strong enough golf course to test the players.

D

Deleted member 15344

Obvious one for me that could be added would be Royal Aberdeen.

I've never played at Porthcawl but I can't imagine that it has the infrastructure.

I think with a bit of changes the course could easily handle it - infrastructure will be fine

Royal Aberdeen certainly one that can be added

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Hopefully politics could be kept out of sport/ golf. God forbid we should have a Bojo, May, Cameron, Corbyn, wee Jimmy Karankie types telling us how to run the game of golf. Leave the open rotation as it is post leave Europe.
Considering Turnberry seems to be avoided, I think that ship has sailed fella.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
It seems to have mutated over the years even with the R&A, going from 'The Open Golf Championship', to 'The Open Championship', to 'The Open' judging by the programmes and flags.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think the pros love everything about St Andrews so can't see it moving too much. I do think this week has given the R&A food for thought on where else they can incorporate a different course but it is a massive investment not only for the course and club but the whole infrastructure of the local town and so many may not want several years of inconvenience for one year of golf every decade or so

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing everyone seems to overlook is the members of the club hosting The Open.
How do they feel about having their course altered or changed? What about the inability in them being able to play there as a result of the infrastructure and setting up hosting The Open brings?
There is a course near me that used to be one of The Open qualifiers, and a fair amaount of members hated it as it meant they lost the ability to play for about 3 months prior to the event. Yes, the club got help in the setting up in the way the R&A wanted, but that didn't help the fee paying members who couldnt play there as a result.