St Andrews Eureka moment?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yesterday I was lucky enough to play the Old Course again for the 5th time. It has been said to me previously that you need to play the Old Course numerous times to "understand" it and I have to say yesterday I started to understand what they mean when you're told that.

I've always had the "goosebumps" and been struck by the history and the ambience of the place. I've understood that people stop and watch you tee-ing off and coming up the last hole. I've marvelled at the great footsteps I'm possibly standing in as I march down the fairways. A history that very few if any can come close to matching. It's a phenomenal experience that everyone should try and experience at least once in their golfing career.

Yesterday as per the title I had a bit of a eureka moment, where I started to understand or appreciate the layout a bit more than I previously did, I saw the subtleties and appreciated the use of the land more than I had during previous rounds. It's not that I didn't see these previously I was probably just a little harsh, maybe wanting more of a challenge and dare I say a statement, perhaps even "unfairly" comparing her to more modern designs. I appreciated the clever use of the double greens more, some greens felt as big as Hampden park (not quite) - but they feel that big when you're facing a 100 yard putt for birdie!!!

Talking about greens, I'm pretty confident that there won't be any course in Britain with greens as good as the Old Course were yesterday. For the first day of February they were an absolute joy to putt on. Tremendous greens.

Now - having said all that it's still not the best course in Britain in my opinion. There are better layouts/designs and challenges than the Old Course in my opinion but I have been more than won over by the charms of the Old Lady. She is deserving of the credit she gets.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That last paragraph. How can it be deserving of the credit (consistently top 3) when there are better courses?

I’ve not played it tbf, but I already know I’m gonna hate it ?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
That last paragraph. How can it be deserving of the credit (consistently top 3) when there are better courses?

In my opinion. And I will stress my opinion, there are better golf courses and designs, better challenges. The Old Course is deserving of the credit she receives due to the longevity of it standing the test of time.

People can disagree with me and some I know most definitely will.

?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Also does Todd Hamilton not deserve the credit he gets for winning the Open because there are better players out there? Your argument doesn't make sense.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I’ve not played the Old course, have read accounts of It online and do seem to hear a lot about a growing appreciation of it. It’s definitely in my to do list, hopefully I’ll get to play there in the next year or two

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also does Todd Hamilton not deserve the credit he gets for winning the Open because there are better players out there? Your argument doesn't make sense.
Todd who? Think that answers the credit he gets ?
also he won one thing, one year. Old course placed top 2/3 every year

Last edited:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Is the Old Course a great course with excellent holes and design features?
Yes.

Is one of the best golf courses in the world - purely from a golfing point of view?
Well that's a huge question that very few people could genuinely answer given how many have played enough of the top courses multiple times. It's certainly a fantastic course and enjoyable / challenging for all to play, but so are hundreds of others.

However, playing the Old Course is about the experience. Being known as the 'Home of Golf' is part of that, as are that it's become the primary 'host' of the Open Championship and one of the few venues that has remained a golf course for centuries. Who knows if Leith Links or Musselburgh had been more 'practical' places for course expansion and multiple clubs to reside at, it may well be one of those courses / areas that had greater claim to that title.

But I do think the Old Course would not have the same standing in the game were it not for the history and tournaments it has hosted. And so the experience is there for anyone with a reasonable interest in golf to stand on the same fairways as nearly every well established golfer of the past 200 years, to play the famous 1st, 17th and 18th holes, and start and end in the shadow of the R&A clubhouse.

It certainly met and even exceeded my expectations as I was nervous before playing it, thinking it couldn't live up to expectations.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yesterday I was lucky enough to play the Old Course again for the 5th time. It has been said to me previously that you need to play the Old Course numerous times to "understand" it and I have to say yesterday I started to understand what they mean when you're told that.

I've always had the "goosebumps" and been struck by the history and the ambience of the place. I've understood that people stop and watch you tee-ing off and coming up the last hole. I've marvelled at the great footsteps I'm possibly standing in as I march down the fairways. A history that very few if any can come close to matching. It's a phenomenal experience that everyone should try and experience at least once in their golfing career.

Yesterday as per the title I had a bit of a eureka moment, where I started to understand or appreciate the layout a bit more than I previously did, I saw the subtleties and appreciated the use of the land more than I had during previous rounds. It's not that I didn't see these previously I was probably just a little harsh, maybe wanting more of a challenge and dare I say a statement, perhaps even "unfairly" comparing her to more modern designs. I appreciated the clever use of the double greens more, some greens felt as big as Hampden park (not quite) - but they feel that big when you're facing a 100 yard putt for birdie!!!

Talking about greens, I'm pretty confident that there won't be any course in Britain with greens as good as the Old Course were yesterday. For the first day of February they were an absolute joy to putt on. Tremendous greens.

Now - having said all that it's still not the best course in Britain in my opinion. There are better layouts/designs and challenges than the Old Course in my opinion but I have been more than won over by the charms of the Old Lady. She is deserving of the credit she gets.

So what are the other 2 courses are above it then, as I noticed you used the plural? :p:D

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great post Jacko.

I have played once, four years ago in October, and absolutely loved it.

Considering the amount of play it gets it was absolutely immaculate. The greens were beautiful.

Need to get back soon.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Is the Old Course a great course with excellent holes and design features?
Yes.

Is one of the best golf courses in the world - purely from a golfing point of view?
Well that's a huge question that very few people could genuinely answer given how many have played enough of the top courses multiple times. It's certainly a fantastic course and enjoyable / challenging for all to play, but so are hundreds of others.

However, playing the Old Course is about the experience. Being known as the 'Home of Golf' is part of that, as are that it's become the primary 'host' of the Open Championship and one of the few venues that has remained a golf course for centuries. Who knows if Leith Links or Musselburgh had been more 'practical' places for course expansion and multiple clubs to reside at, it may well be one of those courses / areas that had greater claim to that title.

But I do think the Old Course would not have the same standing in the game were it not for the history and tournaments it has hosted. And so the experience is there for anyone with a reasonable interest in golf to stand on the same fairways as nearly every well established golfer of the past 200 years, to play the famous 1st, 17th and 18th holes, and start and end in the shadow of the R&A clubhouse.

It certainly met and even exceeded my expectations as I was nervous before playing it, thinking it couldn't live up to expectations.

For me your second last paragraph is key.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So what are the other 2 courses are above it then, as I noticed you used the plural? :p:D

I'm not sure what you are wanting me to say, these lists and opinions are always subjective. What I will say and again in my opinion if you picked up Lytham or Carnoustie and placed them where St Andrews is you'd have a much more challenging test of golf in a phenomenal location.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure what you are wanting me to say, these lists and opinions are always subjective. What I will say and again in my opinion if you picked up Lytham or Carnoustie and placed them where St Andrews is you'd have a much more challenging test of golf in a phenomenal location.

I know, I was only pulling your leg, and agree on the rest.(y)

Nice to see someone changing an opinion on here, I think some think it gets you an infraction.:)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I know, I was only pulling your leg, and agree on the rest.(y)

Nice to see someone changing an opinion on here, I think some think it gets you an infraction.:)

I would stress my opinion has "softened" I will still argue every day of the week that it's not the best course in Britain.

Maybe more appreciative of the charms would be better. I knew I'd get stick for posting this but it's only an opinion. Everyone and anyone is welcome to disagree.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would stress my opinion has "softened" I will still argue every day of the week that it's not the best course in Britain.

Maybe more appreciative of the charms would be better. I knew I'd get stick for posting this but it's only an opinion. Everyone and anyone is welcome to disagree.

Play it 5 more times and it'll be top 3?;)

User20204

Visit site
I played it in November, was 4 over thru 2 holes, was one over coming up the last, it's not the hardest challenge in golf that's for sure but has never lacked in charm.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
what a load of rubbish... its overrated, at best a dozen good holes, what other great golf course can you hit it 100 yards left and have the best line in... Jacko have you been drinking:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 1147

what a load of rubbish... its overrated, at best a dozen good holes, what other great golf course can you hit it 100 yards left and have the best line in... Jacko have you been drinking:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I’ve not played it, but it certainly seems like a hookers course more than a slicers.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve not played it, but it certainly seems like a hookers course more than a slicers.
Right side of fairway gives you the best lines in on a lot of holes. Yes you can go left as long as you avoid bunkers but a harder second shot in a lot of cases.

Greens are brilliant, always been in great condition when I have played. They really add to the experience of the course.