St Andrews Eureka moment?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
There's an interesting article in the current GM magazine about the fact the course was once played backwards i.e. clockwise. Apparently the placing of a lot of the bunkers make more sense played that way.

They did this on a day recently and played it backwards again.

I'd guess there would be a few crossover holes at the start and around the turn (without a few new tees) which might mean they won't make a habit of it.

I'm sure they used to do it to save wear and tear on certain areas.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure I could convince myself to pay £95 +, five times before getting the golf course a bit more (not experience, as that is in my top 3. As you say the green complex's generally are great as well).

Could I be nosy and ask what made you pay that much money each time and kept you returning ? (hopefully that doesn't read off, am interested to hear)
Back in the early 80s when British Rail owned them , a round on the Old Course was only £14.
Also only £14 to play 2 rounds at Gleneagles, 18 on the old Glen Devon course and 18 on Kings course, on the same day .

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Now - having said all that it's still not the best course in Britain in my opinion. There are better layouts/designs and challenges than the Old Course in my opinion but I have been more than won over by the charms of the Old Lady. She is deserving of the credit she gets.
I too have played it a number of times (also 5) and have enjoyed it every time - particularly the first when a top local caddy helped our mixed ability group through her intricacies.

Definitely a more 'feminine' course compared to the likes of RSG or Birkdale. On a still day, she's a pussycat, but with a 'wee breeze', as happens at least once during most Opens, she turns into a tigress! Of the 3 of the St Andrews 'bunch' I've played, I like The New course best and rate The Jubilee the 'toughest'.

D

Deleted member 21258

Not sure what you mean re - club set up but he had to enter the ballot and hope for the best re a tee time. He had the Jubilee booked as a fall back.

Sorry about confusion, I meant in respect of signing someone on at discounted rates.:oops:

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a memeber of The St Andrews club a visitor on the Old Course is 4 pts the Jubilee and the New are 2 points and you pay roughly 35 % of the standard green fee as a guest in the summer a guest on The Old Course paid £72 . Points are a sliding scale if you stay in St Andrews you get 30 pts everyone else gets 20 pts .

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is what i was like with dundonald. My first round i wasnt impressed but the more i played it the more i like it. Nothing to do with suiting me, i just slowly realised WOW wit a course

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I kinda 'got' St Andrews from my very first visit. I read all the bumpf on aim left for safety or right for the best line into greens.

Carnoustie gave me that Eureka moment after a few visits. My first visit left me wondering if its was just hype, a bang average course but with an extremely tough, iconic finish. My last couple of visits saw me understand how it should be played and I really took it to heart - loved it.

User20204

Visit site
I kinda 'got' St Andrews from my very first visit. I read all the bumpf on aim left for safety or right for the best line into greens.

Carnoustie gave me that Eureka moment after a few visits. My first visit left me wondering if its was just hype, a bang average course but with an extremely tough, iconic finish. My last couple of visits saw me understand how it should be played and I really took it to heart - loved it.

At least TOC can be fun, Carnoustie can be utterly brutal, you can stand on almost every tee and think.....where am I going to hit it cause there is trouble everywhere.