St Andrews Eureka moment?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
There's an interesting article in the current GM magazine about the fact the course was once played backwards i.e. clockwise. Apparently the placing of a lot of the bunkers make more sense played that way.

First hole was played to the current 17th green.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Looking forward to playing it in April.
When playing the New and Jubilee last year there was a buzz around the place that is hard to describe, don’t think there is many courses that have that sort of atmosphere midweek in April!!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is the Old Course a great course with excellent holes and design features?
Yes.

Is one of the best golf courses in the world - purely from a golfing point of view?
Well that's a huge question that very few people could genuinely answer given how many have played enough of the top courses multiple times. It's certainly a fantastic course and enjoyable / challenging for all to play, but so are hundreds of others.

However, playing the Old Course is about the experience. Being known as the 'Home of Golf' is part of that, as are that it's become the primary 'host' of the Open Championship and one of the few venues that has remained a golf course for centuries. Who knows if Leith Links or Musselburgh had been more 'practical' places for course expansion and multiple clubs to reside at, it may well be one of those courses / areas that had greater claim to that title.

But I do think the Old Course would not have the same standing in the game were it not for the history and tournaments it has hosted. And so the experience is there for anyone with a reasonable interest in golf to stand on the same fairways as nearly every well established golfer of the past 200 years, to play the famous 1st, 17th and 18th holes, and start and end in the shadow of the R&A clubhouse.

It certainly met and even exceeded my expectations as I was nervous before playing it, thinking it couldn't live up to expectations.

I've been lucky enough to play it once and walk it in the open when Boxer nose won it after the play off holes.

I'd love to play it again, and hopefully will, as you say its an fantastic experience, possibly that could only be bettered by playing one other course - Augusta, for some, maybe most.

Overall its a bit like old Wembley, it has a magic and aura about it that better/newer stadiums could never, ever replicate. In its latter years Wembley was a s***hole, but it was ours, has tonnes of history and even though the new version is nearer to the pitch / no posts / decent toilets and facilities its still not the old Wembley and never will be. Functional, yes, but doesnt send that same shiver down your spine.

Must say though that the new crossbars could probably take the weight of 10 Scots, though.:giggle:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Guy that played with us put his drive OB left on the first.

The day before I played some fella did that, I called him a coward under my breath with him aiming that far left for safety.

I did the very same the next day, except I was luckily in bounds by about 3 yards.....up and down for birdie though.:cool:

Wolf

Visit site
Guy that played with us put his drive OB left on the first.
Was his name Ian Baker-Finch...

As for ToC I often get shot down for my opinion of it, it has its place in history but as a golfing spectacle and course it holds no interest to me whatsoever. Same goes for Augusta though no desire to walk that course let alone want to play it not that id get chance anyway.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
never park your car in Granny Clarks Wynd is sound advice:ROFLMAO:

The first time I played it, I hit a truck parked up the side of the 18th. As my second shot was "fading" right towards a line of parked cars, I'm shouting fore and at the same time looking at my caddie in despair and saying "what do I do?" - his response was a hearty laugh followed by "their fault for parking there". :LOL: My ball landed in the back of a flatbed truck, and then bounced out back into play, so I'm glad he did park there :ROFLMAO:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's an interesting article in the current GM magazine about the fact the course was once played backwards i.e. clockwise. Apparently the placing of a lot of the bunkers make more sense played that way.
The Old Course was originally designed to be played clockwise. It was only after Tom Morris redesigned it in the 1800s that it was changed. I think that for two days every year it is still played backwards.

D

Deleted member 21258

Not sure I could convince myself to pay £95 +, five times before getting the golf course a bit more (not experience, as that is in my top 3. As you say the green complex's generally are great as well).

Could I be nosy and ask what made you pay that much money each time and kept you returning ? (hopefully that doesn't read off, am interested to hear)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I am sure there are better "designs and better "views"

But if you don't feel the atmosphere and the history and that sense of excitement as the Clubhouse comes into view from several miles away......... fine, save your money. ;)
i don't think anyone would disagree or or has said the old course and St Andrews in general doesn't have a certain Aura and atmosphere. when it comes to that there is no place like it

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not sure I could convince myself to pay £95 +, five times before getting the golf course a bit more (not experience, as that is in my top 3. As you say the green complex's generally are great as well).

Could I be nosy and ask what made you pay that much money each time and kept you returning ? (hopefully that doesn't read off, am interested to hear)

I've only played it 4 times, and twice it didn't cost a penny as i was a guest of R&A members, first time i think was £70 ish and the other time we got 3 courses for £230.

I also suspect Jacko Paid F.. all this time:ROFLMAO:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

I have been lucky enough to be invited as guests a few times including yesterday which was very kindly free of charge including breakfast and range balls. I feel his return trip to play my course will be slightly underwhelming!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I once attended a lecture by the Scottish Tourism chief.
He started...…..'There are 40 million golfers in the world and all of them desire to play one course'

A pendant, where is the 18th green if you play the course backwards,:unsure:

D

Deleted member 21258

I have been lucky enough to be invited as guests a few times including yesterday which was very kindly free of charge including breakfast and range balls. I feel his return trip to play my course will be slightly underwhelming!

Lucky devil.(y) Would suggest you include lunch, 2 beers, free gavin greens, scotty Cameron putter in the return trip:LOL:

Cheers, didn't realise that, thought the old course wasn't included in a 'club' setup. Learn something new everyday.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Lucky devil.(y) Would suggest you include lunch, 2 beers, free gavin greens, scotty Cameron putter in the return trip:LOL:

Cheers, didn't realise that, thought the old course wasn't included in a 'club' setup. Learn something new everyday.

Not sure what you mean re - club set up but he had to enter the ballot and hope for the best re a tee time. He had the Jubilee booked as a fall back.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I once attended a lecture by the Scottish Tourism chief.
He started...…..'There are 40 million golfers in the world and all of them desire to play one course'

A pendant, where is the 18th green if you play the course backwards,:unsure:

cT55hmn.jpg

t50XAjN.jpg