Sports persons taking the knee

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
2 seperate events at Millwall tonight, prior to kick off the Ref and QPR players took the knee, Millwall players just stood there in their positions, Romeo raised his fist.

The linking of arms was for a photo with the QPR players for Kick it Out.

I thought QPR had stopped the gesture earlier this season after director of football Les Ferdinand said its impact had "been diluted" .

D

Deleted member 16999

Wonder if they will take it next week or if it’s just a token gesture?
If they did the group photo with the Millwall players for “Kick it out” I don’t see why they’d then need to do a token gesture.

D

Deleted member 15344

That's the issue I have. Drivers kneeling does 0 for fighting racism. He has no right to take a morale high ground because someone else doesn't want to take a knee. I've been told I'm ignorant to racism because I don't support BLM on page 2. Maybe it's time we just shut up and learned and stopped with the token gestures. Spot on about the PSG game, things like this make a difference.

If we aren’t the people who are affected by the issue then it’s going to be very hard for use to suggest that it’s a token gesture - but any gesture or protest is worth it if it starts the conversations , heightens awareness and dismiss any fantasy ideals that racism is under control - racism and persecution of any kind will never be eroded but if sport can help in any way at all even by making people talk about it then it’s going to be worthwhile.

People will be having these same discussions all over the country and hopefully it will go some way to changing some peoples attitudes

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Favorite tactic of a woke few on here too.

FnD.. not taking this personally... but calling people ‘woke’ is the opposite end of the spectrum of calling people racist ... a convenient/lazy way of labelling someone who does not agree with your views.

out of interest, how many here have been stopped and search for no apparent reason. Given the general assumption of demographic here, I am assuming not many. So we don’t know how it feels to be in constant fear of being pulled up.
I had the pleasure of being stopped and searched under the great powers given by the then Home Secretary Ms May. My crime.. I look a bit different and I was late to work and so was running up the stairs at the railway station with a backpack. The fact that I was in a full business suit and ready for a client meeting was overlooked. The police rummaged thru my laptop bag and did not let me touch my mobile till they finished. They put it down to ‘routine search’. I always have sympathy with the Bobby who does this as he is doing his job. But I won’t dare run inside an airport. In fact I would not even think of doing that in a US. If I travel in the US, I need to be at the airport 3 hours before flights, since I will always be called for ‘secondary screen’, even if I fly business

So when people use ‘woke’ labels on me, I flip the bird (but not to FnD)

Apologies for the rant and if I upset anyone

sunshine

Visit site
Lets not forget how this all started. In the USA! They have massive problems over there about racism. Why are we concerned with their internal problems. It for them to sort out. We over here are not perfect, but should not let events in the USA concern us.

8 years of Obama did nowt to sort it and everyone was up in arms over DT and the way he conducted things. Lets see if another 4 years of Democratic Party rule, then them putting a woman in charge will change things. Will it? Nope it will not !!!

We should keep out house in order and not concern ourselves with the USA, except for trade of course. We will need some wine to cover the empty shelves from where the EU wine used to be for a start.

This post demonstrates an unbelievable level of ignorance. Yes, the current impetus originated in the US, but it has struck a chord in Britain because we have significant racism here in this country. It’s a big problem, too many examples of institutional racism and casual acceptance of behaviour that should not be tolerated.

The fact you can’t see this shows there is still a problem. You need to educate yourself.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lets not forget how this all started. In the USA! They have massive problems over there about racism. Why are we concerned with their internal problems. It for them to sort out. We over here are not perfect, but should not let events in the USA concern us.

8 years of Obama did nowt to sort it and everyone was up in arms over DT and the way he conducted things. Lets see if another 4 years of Democratic Party rule, then them putting a woman in charge will change things. Will it? Nope it will not !!!

We should keep out house in order and not concern ourselves with the USA, except for trade of course. We will need some wine to cover the empty shelves from where the EU wine used to be for a start.

Once in a while i come across post on the forum that makes me rethink perspectives. If you think this is a US only problem then I can recommend a nearby specsavers.
I am assuming you wanted to say the BLM movement started in US, racism is still a problem there and it needs to be addressed everywhere

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For those that struggle with seeing what this is all about, watch something like this:

Or this:

There’s massive prejudice in society for a multitude of reasons, but race is still a very big one.

Appointing people from different backgrounds and of different ethnicities is a good step as it provides role models, but what is really required is a way to stop the disadvantages that exist that prevent so many capable people of ever having the opportunity in the first place.

Maybe there does need to be some revised messaging of the take the knee initiative if the key message is still being glossed over or missed.

On balance, the Millwall fans booing has probably done quite a bit of good as it gets things back in the public eye again.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
It is still a political gesture that has no place in football. Kick it out was an initiative to address racism in football, but has now been hijacked by a political movement. Look at the fuss made about wearing poppies on shirts which was deemed a political gesture. The sooner it is ended the better. Annoys me that Sky and BBC include it in every highlight clip they show!!
And I am in no way racist, just don't see what this is now achieving for anyone.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is still a political gesture that has no place in football. Kick it out was an initiative to address racism in football, but has now been hijacked by a political movement. Look at the fuss made about wearing poppies on shirts which was deemed a political gesture. The sooner it is ended the better. Annoys me that Sky and BBC include it in every highlight clip they show!!
And I am in no way racist, just don't see what this is now achieving for anyone.
I refer you to #90 where Sunshine explains the situation very clearly......... I don't know how to break this to you gently but, if you don't get this, perhaps you are part of the problem. :unsure:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't have a problem with this at all, and it is correct that Kapernick took up the fight (at huge personal cost) by making a peaceful protest, that was hideously misrepresented by many in the states.

What I can live without is this now being a part of every single game of football to the point that it becomes routine and meaningless.

It should be done as part of a specific week or date, focussing on racial injustice and ideally should be included with meaningful action, community involvement, donation to certain groups or charities etc.

In my view, having it at the start of every game just waters down the protest to the point that people won't even notice it's happening or recognise what it's for.

It's a bit like wearing a poppy. People don't necessarily wear the poppy because they specifically want to commemorate the fallen, it's just something that's accepted and expected of them to the point that it's barely even recognised as an action of any consequence.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
But I won’t dare run inside an airport. In fact I would not even think of doing that in a US. If I travel in the US, I need to be at the airport 3 hours before flights, since I will always be called for ‘secondary screen’, even if I fly business

I travelled with a colleague of Indian descent in the US a few years ago, we had a flight in, 3 internal flights, then home. After the first airport security stop, we then agreed I would wait for him at the exit of the airports
The way in which he was treated so differently to me was a real eye-opener. He said it was his 'normal' when in the US... It was an experience for me!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't have a problem with this at all, and it is correct that Kapernick took up the fight (at huge personal cost) by making a peaceful protest, that was hideously misrepresented by many in the states.

What I can live without is this now being a part of every single game of football to the point that it becomes routine and meaningless.

It should be done as part of a specific week or date, focussing on racial injustice and ideally should be included with meaningful action, community involvement, donation to certain groups or charities etc.

In my view, having it at the start of every game just waters down the protest to the point that people won't even notice it's happening or recognise what it's for.

It's a bit like wearing a poppy. People don't necessarily wear the poppy because they specifically want to commemorate the fallen, it's just something that's accepted and expected of them to the point that it's barely even recognised as an action of any consequence.
That's how it may be to you but certainly, it can be clearly seen that 'Taking the Knee' means an awful lot more to the black players & their team mates. I can only 'shake my head' in disbelief at the issue this is causing some people. Just treat it like when our players are 'forced' to sing the national anthem rather than just stand to it..... simply mute/turn away/turn off...... it's that easy.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
1607526602793.png

Beyond Taking the knee, there are other things teams have adopted.. At the recent Australia v India T20, the Aussies came out in Indigenous Kit. It was not till the early 70s that the indigenous people even got a right to vote.. and they still form a relative minority in main stream australia. So all points to Aussie men and women cricket to make the guesture... more details here >> https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/54915878