Sports persons taking the knee

D

Deleted member 16999

I wonder what the reason was that sports people didn’t come out in solidarity with
_98272317_kaepernick3.png
Colin Kaepernick

Over three years ago.

Football and footballers for years have had a platform to make a stand against racism/homophobia and many other issues.

Got to laugh when at some matches, ref blows whistle, and three or four players “forget” the obligatory kneel and think it’s the start of play.
The issue with Kaepernick was that he did during the singing of the National Anthem and was immediately seized upon as unpatriotic and against ALL Americans by the media.

People, especially Sports Stars didn’t want to be seen as un-American.

Totally diferent situation to when it is taken over here.

D

Deleted member 15344

So are you ignoring the article I posted where someone says they don’t like to be referred to that way - is it up to white people to decide what is acceptable to call black people ?

Or should we allow them to decide what they deem is acceptable or not - so if someone says they don’t like to be called “people of colour” , maybe we don’t use that the same with coloured.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So are you ignoring the article I posted where someone says they don’t like to be referred to that way - is it up to white people to decide what is acceptable to call black people ?

Or should we allow them to decide what they deem is acceptable or not - so if someone says they don’t like to be called “people of colour” , maybe we don’t use that the same with coloured.

maybe i digress... but i have never felt the need to any call anyone in a collective noun by a skin colour. The only exception is when you fill out a form which has an ethnicity question and when i attend a diversity awareness course. To me John is in my team because of who he is rather than if he is white, black, pink, green.. I had a friend who was into the hip-hop scene in NY. Some of the guys he would hang out with would refer to each other with the 'N-word'.. so while we were all paly, dare i use the same word. IMO, for what it is worth, a lot of this is about context.

i remember Prince Charles getting into hot water but was defended by his friend
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/sooty-defends-prince-charles-1343747.html

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Does one swallow make a spring ?

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site

Maybe we don't tar everyone with the same brush? Isn't that what all this is about.....

There is no collectives by skin colour no one size fits all approach. This is where it gets a bit mad and doesn't actually help. We are all just people, trying to get through each day until we die.

(Ironically i've been told I can't use the tar expression as it's racist on twitter. It's not.)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sadly for a Multi-cultural Nation, there are so, so many folks who, for whatever reason, just have not got a clue in so many areas.
Would you say someone not liking multi-culturalism doesn't have a clue in these areas (whatever these areas are)

4LEX

Visit site
All this over 2,000 of Millwall's best behaved season ticket holders. Millwall aren't even a well known racist club. The fans are more interested in caving your head in (or attacking you with a belt in my case), rather than racist comments. If that section of the fanbase is booing, I dread to think what will happen when you've got the usual 10,000 nutters they get in for big games.

It'll be the same in the midlands and up north at clubs like Wolves, Derby, Stoke, Leeds, Hull, Burnley etc.

Time for football to move on and back a united campaign against discrimination :whistle:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
My feeling is that all terms used to describe people by skin colour are in themselves divisive

“Black”,”White” “People of Colour” etc etc are all labels that differentiate

Why can’t we just be people

The longer these language barriers exist, the longer it will take to get rid of the “us & them”

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
[
My feeling is that all terms used to describe people by skin colour are in themselves divisive

“Black”,”White” “People of Colour” etc etc are all labels that differentiate

Why can’t we just be people

The longer these language barriers exist, the longer it will take to get rid of the “us & them”

This, But Coach Carter sums it up perfectly when some people use then N word which is as offensive as it gets. But the same people are offended when anglo Saxon people and there equivalent coloured people use the same word. The education of what is and is not acceptable has a long way to go no matter what colour your skin.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
[

This, But Coach Carter sums it up perfectly when some people use then N word which is as offensive as it gets. But the same people are offended when anglo Saxon people and there equivalent coloured people use the same word. The education of what is and is not acceptable has a long way to go no matter what colour your skin.
So you, a middle class white man, wants to help decide what black people can call each other?

I think that’s a large part of the problem.

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
So you, a middle class white man, wants to help decide what black people can call each other?

I think that’s a large part of the problem.

No what he is saying is that some black people are using the N word in common parlance thus perpetuating the use of that word.
It is a word that needs to die out and the people that continue to use it are not helping

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
No what he is saying is that some black people are using the N word in common parlance thus perpetuating the use of that word.
It is a word that needs to die out and the people that continue to use it are not helping

Let me draw an analogy with another word that in some hands in seen as an insult and in others as merely a descriptor - in the LGBT community, the word queer is used openly and isn’t an insult. Yet if a homophobe used that word aggressively it’s clearly an insult.

Do you feel that no one in the LGBT community should refer to themselves as queer?

Genuine question as I feel there are huge parallels.

As to the overarching point, I simply disagree with you and tash but I see why you feel the way you do.

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
Let me draw an analogy with another word that in some hands in seen as an insult and in others as merely a descriptor - in the LGBT community, the word queer is used openly and isn’t an insult. Yet if a homophobe used that word aggressively it’s clearly an insult.

Do you feel that no one in the LGBT community should refer to themselves as queer?

Genuine question as I feel there are huge parallels.

As to the overarching point, I simply disagree with you and tash but I see why you feel the way you do.

Good point, queer means different or odd, the same principle applies, it highlights the differences between people , it says that I’m not the same as you,

Bit of a minefield isn’t it

I’m a middle aged white male, but I’m just Phil, you might be a gay black male, but you’re just Michael

It’s these labels that are creating barriers, people are just people getting by the best they can

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Sadly for a Multi-cultural Nation, there are so, so many folks who, for whatever reason, just have not got a clue in so many areas.

Are we a multi-cultural nation, or a nation of multiple cultures? Whilst we have many cultures in this country, many are more than happy to live in their own enclaves without mixing with other cultures.