Sports persons taking the knee

D

Deleted member 15344

Gotta laugh at that. EVERYONE is being bullied into knee thing.
Every player has a choice - not one of them is being bullied or forced into as you call it “the knee thing” - that knee thing is actually a protest against racism which expect everyone to be behind

D

Deleted member 15344

I am with you. Having grown up in the late 70's and 80's I was fully aware of racism (and yes engaged in it myself to my shame), and saw it on the terraces, on the streets and even in the workplace. I think the Black Lives Matters has an important message but we've had the "Kick It Out" campaign for a while now and what has that realistically done to move the needle, either in the professional game or at grass root level. I think this BLM message and what happened at Millwall (and may happen there tonight) has become a political message and for that some of the impact, especially at sporting events has been lost. It is up to sporting bodies (imo) to get their house in order and can do more good far quicker by recognising those from different backgrounds (and crudely putting it for, the colour of their skin) and appointing them to key posts as long as they there on merit and not as a token gesture. Lets not forget it isn't that long ago in reality that the glass ceiling of women on boards of big companies or even in charge happened. Now, we are starting to get there slowly in terms of sexual equality and hopefully if sport can use coloured role models in power to show it can be done will send a more powerful and long term message than taking a knee will

It would prob be a good start to stop using that phrase

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/newsbeat-30999175

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Kick it out did very little.

Until players start to walk off the pitch and anyone found to be making racist comments is banned from all football for life then nothing will change.

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
Lets not forget how this all started. In the USA! They have massive problems over there about racism. Why are we concerned with their internal problems. It for them to sort out. We over here are not perfect, but should not let events in the USA concern us.

8 years of Obama did nowt to sort it and everyone was up in arms over DT and the way he conducted things. Lets see if another 4 years of Democratic Party rule, then them putting a woman in charge will change things. Will it? Nope it will not !!!

We should keep out house in order and not concern ourselves with the USA, except for trade of course. We will need some wine to cover the empty shelves from where the EU wine used to be for a start.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well the Millwall fans have won a morale victory tonight by applauding the revised anti racism pre game routine.

Trust me, im not one to say anything positive about that lot.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well the Millwall fans have won a morale victory tonight by applauding the revised anti racism pre game routine.

Trust me, im not one to say anything positive about that lot.

Good, all players standing together linking arms is a far better display of solidarity than kneeling.
As has been highlighted here, everyone has different views on taking a knee, for me and a lot of people it’s a subservient thing. (especially with a black player standing up above everyone doing a black power salute!)

BLM are associated with taking a knee and are very political. Politics has no place in football.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good, all players standing together linking arms is a far better display of solidarity than kneeling.
As has been highlighted here, everyone has different views on taking a knee, for me and a lot of people it’s a subservient thing. (especially with a black player standing up above everyone doing a black power salute!)

BLM are associated with taking a knee and are very political. Politics has no place in football.

Agree 100%. Just a shame people who run football could not see this coming. Personally think they should do the new thing forever, a united front in the face of all discrimination, which is surely what we all want.

D

Deleted member 15344

Lets not forget how this all started. In the USA! They have massive problems over there about racism. Why are we concerned with their internal problems. It for them to sort out. We over here are not perfect, but should not let events in the USA concern us.

8 years of Obama did nowt to sort it and everyone was up in arms over DT and the way he conducted things. Lets see if another 4 years of Democratic Party rule, then them putting a woman in charge will change things. Will it? Nope it will not !!!

We should keep out house in order and not concern ourselves with the USA, except for trade of course. We will need some wine to cover the empty shelves from where the EU wine used to be for a start.

Racism isn’t confined to just the USA - it’s still an issue within the uk and as human beings we should be concerned with all levels of persecution regardless of what country it is in

The players also took a knee before kick off

Hopefully people will start to change their views on why they are kneeling and why they decided that kneeling was going to be their preferred method

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Racism isn’t confined to just the USA - it’s still an issue within the uk and as human beings we should be concerned with all levels of persecution regardless of what country it is in

The players also took a knee before kick off

Hopefully people will start to change their views on why they are kneeling and why they decided that kneeling was going to be their preferred method

Millwall players did not, so therefore no booing.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Agree 100%. Just a shame people who run football could not see this coming. Personally think they should do the new thing forever, a united front in the face of all discrimination, which is surely what we all want.
And history has shown that when it comes to the FA and racism they are spineless.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
And history has shown that when it comes to the FA and racism they are spineless.

To be fair though is it just the FA. Not sure what cricket has done any better as an example and you only need to look back at the USPGA and the issues coloured golfers had playing on tour. Is is sadly endemic in many facerts of society not just sport which is why my concern is the BLM campaign in football does little to make a real difference either in the professional game, at grass roots level or in society as a whole

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
To be fair though is it just the FA. Not sure what cricket has done any better as an example and you only need to look back at the USPGA and the issues coloured golfers had playing on tour. Is is sadly endemic in many facerts of society not just sport which is why my concern is the BLM campaign in football does little to make a real difference either in the professional game, at grass roots level or in society as a whole

It’s deffo not just the FA, but was in response to a comment re the FA.

As we speak there is disturbances in the PSG game re a persons colour ☹️

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gotta laugh at that. EVERYONE is being bullied into knee thing.

Sort of agree.
There's a whole thing now where you're made to feel guilty to take the knee or support it.
A person may agree massively with the cause and hate racism, but because they don't conform you're called out as a racist which in itself is extremely narrow minded, but that's the beast social media and modern journalism seem to have created.

D

Deleted member 16999

Seriously!

D

Deleted member 15344

Sort of agree.
There's a whole thing now where you're made to feel guilty to take the knee or support it.
A person may agree massively with the cause and hate racism, but because they don't conform you're called out as a racist which in itself is extremely narrow minded, but that's the beast social media and modern journalism seem to have created.

It’s the fine line between militants and relevant protests .

When some of the F1 drivers didn’t take the knee - Lewis Hamilton wasn’t very happy until the drivers explained their position to him , fully behind the fight to racism but wanting to step away from the extreme areas of the fight. All about the communication - some players have just stood and bowed their head.

Tonight though is looking at the moment to be a huge step with players walking off the pitch which is the right positive action to take and it’s needs to happen more and the authorities need to stand behind any player who walks off.

It doesn’t help when UEFA etc just fine nations - there is no real deterrent to combat racism in many sports

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site

images-16-1.jpg

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sort of agree.

Favorite tactic of a woke few on here too.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s the fine line between militants and relevant protests .

When some of the F1 drivers didn’t take the knee - Lewis Hamilton wasn’t very happy until the drivers explained their position to him , fully behind the fight to racism but wanting to step away from the extreme areas of the fight.

That's the issue I have. Drivers kneeling does 0 for fighting racism. He has no right to take a morale high ground because someone else doesn't want to take a knee. I've been told I'm ignorant to racism because I don't support BLM on page 2. Maybe it's time we just shut up and learned and stopped with the token gestures. Spot on about the PSG game, things like this make a difference.

D

Deleted member 16999

2 seperate events at Millwall tonight, prior to kick off the Ref and QPR players took the knee, Millwall players just stood there in their positions, Romeo raised his fist.

The linking of arms was for a photo with the QPR players for Kick it Out.