Spin on approach shots to greens

Steviebhoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Needing some advice,

My problem is trying to stop the ball on the green with spin.

My short games my best part of my golf but only one real problem is trying to stop the ball with out it running a mile once hit my target on the green! I’m looking to be able to be more aggressive with going for the flag as I’m pretty accurate with my target. Just now I have to aim for front of greens if flags at mid to back third so with the run it takes after it hit will have me close to the pin even though I’m putting a lot of height into my shots! The range I’m looking for help on this is anything from 80yards to 150yard.

How do I get the spin in my shot to stop my ball from doing this??

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
even though I’m putting a lot of height into my shots!

Sounds like you are hitting them in the air and trying to land them soflty... this is the NO SPIN method.

To spin the ball, move it back in your stance an inch or two and hit DOWNWARDS into the ground with your most lofted club. The ball will come out low and spinning (unless it's a Topflite ball, in which case God couldn't spin it!).

hope this helps.

Steviebhoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play with Pro V1,

Yeah I know Ping Eye 2 which has been alot of the talking point in golf the now haha thinking about trying to find one and maybe slove part of my prob haha

I'll try moving the stance a bit forward and see if it helps! Would I still get good hight on my shots doing this shot?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Using a top ball will help as it will give you more control with your irons and wedges,as you are hitting your shots high it sounds like you are using a hard ball which will give you less control.Also hitting down on the ball will give you spin if its a true hit shot,being able to control it and get consistency is the key.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'll try moving the stance a bit forward and see if it helps! Would I still get good hight on my shots doing this shot?

you should hit every iron with a downwards blow, if you then move the position of the ball backwards it will make you hit it with even MORE of a decending blow... of course you're going to have to learn to square the clubface (opening the stance a little does help).

8 & 9 irons tend to come out about 3/4 the normal height, wedges you can hit as low as you want, 30 feet in the air is cool for a lobwedge from 80y...might spin off the green if you have good grooves :)

It's exacly the same for chipping up to a flag from 20feet, lob wedge, soft hands (no wrist break), back in the stance, hit down on the ball and try to picture it carrying 75% to the pin, it should check on the first bounce.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't get a lot of spin. Maybe with my Vokey and a decent ball. Even the shot that takes some of the cover off the ball and leaves it in the grooves doesn't spin back, but it does stop almost dead.
Thinking more of mid irons, if the ball is not stopping on the green at all, I think you're going to have to improve your strike and downward impact into the ball. This doesn't come easily (well, it didn't for me)....
If the ball is forward of centre, move it back a bit. If the ball is already centre, you need some drills to hit down on the irons, not pick it off cleanly.

Steviebhoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is the reason I use soft balls is to try and help me get this! I will go out and try and hit the ball with more downwards blow!! Prob need to practice a good bit before trying it on the course to make sure I hit it right and not end up pinging it half way across the course lol

Thanks all for the tips and will let you all know how I get on with it

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is a weird one.

StevieB - would you say that you are a "scooper" when you hit these full shots? If you hit a full PW, how far does it go and does that still roll out up the green?

When people are hitting full short irons using a ProV, I've only heard about them having trouble stopping it spinning!!??

Steviebhoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
With a PW i'm hitting it about 120 yards with plenty of hight but when it lands its not spinning at all but taking bounce with a run for a few feet! Gives me problems if the flags at front of greens as cant play with it unless hitting fairway before it to let it run on!

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
The greens aren't bone hard are they?

When I read your signature I did initially think you were playing golf in Itlay!! Fereneze GC didn't look Glaswegian at first glance!! :eek:

Steviebhoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wish I was playing golf in Itlay!!

Yes most of them a pretty hard at times!! This doesn't seem to stop one of the players who play with us spinning the ball no prob! Tried asking him how he does it with no joy on him letting on! Also started to think maybe its cause he using blades and i'm not

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
JustOne's advice is great but if you are hitting a full out PW 120yds with a nice high flight then it still should sit down fairly quickly. The roll out will then gradually increase as the irons get stronger.

A few checks Stevie:

Are your clubs caked in mud and crap? (particularly the grooves)
Is your PW one of these super strong 43* jobbies?
Do you take a divot? Is it a slither or a big clump??

Steviebhoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No I clean my clubs after every shot plus keep them good as they are new.

What you mean with the "Is your PW one of these super strong 43* jobbies?"

Yeah I take a slight divot which is prob only about 5mm

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
What you mean with the "Is your PW one of these super strong 43* jobbies?"

Some PW have very strong lofts and then have that same "stong loft" knock on effect with the other clubs in the set. (i.e your PW is really a 9i, your 9i is an 8i and so on)

If it is a strong loft then 120yds isn't that far so it may just mean that your aren't generating enough clubhead speed to generate the spin you are looking for.

Just fishing in the dark a bit really Stevie :D