How to hit a fade with Driver.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Think I've got myself a bit confused by being on a launch monitor, but anyway.

If I stand square to my target line and my club path is zero degrees at impact with a face that's square to that path I will hit a straight shot.

If I stand say 3 degrees open to straight down the middle of the fairway and swing along a line parallel to my feet (and hopefully hips and shoulders) I now have a swing path that is 3 degrees open (to target - but square to my aim) and if my club face is 3 degrees open to that path - will the ball fade back to middle of fairway? If not where will it go?

OR to hit a fade do I stand as if I'm going to hit it straight, standing square and swing with a swing path that is out to in by say 3 degrees with a face that is 3 degrees open to that path (ie pointing at the middle of the fairway) - will the ball fade back to middle of fairway? If not where will it go?

OR to hit a fade do I stand 3 degrees open to straight down the middle of the fairway and swing 3 degree right of my feet line with a club face that is 3 degrees open to that path - will the ball fade back to middle of fairway? If not where will it go?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The ball will start more or less where the clubface is pointing at impact, so in your case 3 degrees left.
If the swingpath is also 3 degrees left, the ball will go 3 degrees left with a straight flight.
To make the ball spin left to right, the path has to be say 3 degrees left of clubface direction so 6 degrees left of target.
Hope that makes sense.

ggg.jpg

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The ball will start more or less where the clubface is pointing at impact, so in your case 3 degrees left.
If the swingpath is also 3 degrees left, the ball will go 3 degrees left with a straight flight.
To make the ball spin left to right, the path has to be say 3 degrees left of clubface direction so 6 degrees left of target.
Hope that makes sense.

View attachment 49722
This is precisely the coaching I have received to switch my swing path from strong in-2-out to out-2-in.

My coach asked me if there were any places and clubs when I deliberately try and play a fade and know I can do it. There is, two dog leg right par 5s where I can get blocked out short and right. I have no problems with 5w in hand and fading it round the corner. So he has had me thinking ‘’fade’ every shot - you know how to do it.

And in the context of the OPs driver question…I was a low drawer with that club, I now know how to hit a high fade. Job (getting) done. But as you told me many months ago, I have had a difficult journey.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Hope that makes sense.

View attachment 49722

Fabulous.

So it doesn't matter HOW I get the swingpath 6 degrees left of "target" - I could stand square to the yellow line and swing along my feet OR could I stand parallel to the blue clubface and swing "over-the-top" or right to left to get the clubpath on the yellow line?

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Definitely felt more confident off the tee yesterday.

Ensured the face was set aimed down the left of the fairway and then stood just very slightly left of that line and then didn't think about path or wrist or face or anything and surprisingly (to me - having been struggling off the tee for a while) I hit plenty fades - yes a couple maybe over faded and one stayed dead straight - luckily on a hole where there was plenty space out to the left!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Definitely felt more confident off the tee yesterday.

Ensured the face was set aimed down the left of the fairway and then stood just very slightly left of that line and then didn't think about path or wrist or face or anything and surprisingly (to me - having been struggling off the tee for a while) I hit plenty fades - yes a couple maybe over faded and one stayed dead straight - luckily on a hole where there was plenty space out to the left!
I'm a big fan of letting the swing go where it wants to go, it's much easier to alter the aim and grip/clubface instead.
Confidence breeds confidence