Greens

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The answer to the OP is indeed a no. Courses are built subject to prevailing budget, soil and topography! That's why some are better than others!

Played a course last week where it seemed that every second shot was uphill to the green! They had one very long down hill par 5, that probably accounted for most of the others being uphill! :)

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The answer to the OP is indeed a no. Courses are built subject to prevailing budget, soil and topography! That's why some are better than others!

Played a course last week where it seemed that every second shot was uphill to the green! They had one very long down hill par 5, that probably accounted for most of the others being uphill! :)
The Monty at CM?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there are rules saying that the pin needs to be a flat portion of the green to a particular radius - but my club falls foul of this as it's not possible on a few of the greens, so it might be more of an advisory than a regulation.

The Committee should avoid placing a hole on a slope where the ball will not come to rest. When the contours of the green allow, holes should be placed where there is an area of two to three feet around the hole that is relatively level so that putts struck at the proper speed will stop around the hole.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn’t there a rule about how close to the edge of the green the pin is allowed? Sure I read this somewhere but may be imagining it
  • Setting holes where there is enough putting green surface between the hole and the front and sides of the putting green to accommodate the approach on that particular hole. For example, placing the hole immediately behind a bunker when a long approach is required by the majority of the field is usually not recommended.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there are rules saying that the pin needs to be a flat portion of the green to a particular radius - but my club falls foul of this as it's not possible on a few of the greens, so it might be more of an advisory than a regulation.
There are no rules, just guidelines. Guidelines that GKs overlook at times.