Spin milled face or not?

cloudstrife

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all,

Im still looking at buying a sand wedge, but now Im not sure whether to get one with or without a "spin milled face". Ive heard they generate a lot of spin but can ruin balls?

I shoot in the 90's and need to get a wedge, as I have no sand wedge, probably get a 56 degree one but again Im not sure whether to push it to 58 or 60 degree.

Ive been looking at the Mizuno MP R or MP T but was told in the shop that the Hotblade ones with a spin milled face are good. Or would it be better to just shell out a bit more and get a Titleist Vokey, a lot of people seem to think a lot of them.

Any advice on wedges, what degree and what make, would be greatly appreciated.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Anyone got the tea and biccies handy?

Where do you start with wedges? It depends on your ability as well as the loft on your PW as to which loft of SW you go for. 56 is the standard these days but with PW's down as far as 45 degrees you may find a 54 fits better. Then there's bounce. The angle between the ground and the leading edge. If you have bunkers with deepish,fluffy sand you'll need 10 degrees of bounce or more. Shallower sand needs less bounce but I wouldn't go much below 8 degrees.

Spin milled faces can eat balls for breakfast. They produce immense amounts of spin, sometimes too much.
TBH if you shoot in the 90's you wont go far wrong with a Mizzy MPT with 56 loft and 10 bounce - go for the black nickel, it feels and looks better. Once you've mastered that you may feel the need for spin milled faces - up to you. Try a few different ones if you can. All the big names make decent wedges these days - you pays your money etc etc etc

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There are a myriad of options out there and I guess it depends on what you are looking for really. If you aren't overly prficient around the greens or out of sand then the extra spin you get from spin milled is probably not going to be beneficial. However if you do have a decent short game and can get out of bunkers competently then these wedges will add an extra degree of control.

I guess the answer is yes they will shred balls especially premium makes with softer covers. Others like AD333's etc do scuff a bit but not as much as a Pro V etc.

I have a 52 and 58 as it gives me an equal gap (PW is 46) but sometimes I carry a 52, 56 and 60. I'll use the 60 out of deeper bunkers or if I'm short sided but for normal shots will use the 56. It depends on how many wedges you want to carry and what club you'd be prepared to dropto accommodate it.

My advice is speak to your pro and ask his advice based on the conditions at your home course and make a decision from there and then go out and try a few models first

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
How about shell out a bit less on an MD golf wedge, that way you arnt out of pocket as much should you ever decide its not for you?
Cracking wedges too (starting to sound like a record now!)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'd go with a spin milled vokey and get it done with... that way you never need to worry about another club for many years.

As Homer says given the choice I'd go with 52º & 58º to keep the versatility and the gapping.

regards....

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've got a Hotblade 56 spin milled at home, don't currently use it as I got the Hogan 49 & 54 to complement a 45 PW.

even I have got backspin off the hotblade once or twice, and spent time picking the cover out of the grooves, even with not so premium balls.

if you use balls that you can afford to lose why worry about shredding the odd one. I could just be a sign that you're hitting it properly.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I found the spin from the vokeys to be too unpredictable, and so would go with non SM. Ok, so the ball runs out a bit with a more traditional wedge, but it is consistent, and can be worked around.

For the SM, some ran out, some bit and stopped, and some span back 25 feet (which was useless as I never pitch past the pin).

If you have an aggresive short game, then maybe SM is for you, but I don't, so they are in the wardrobe, with the other mistakes.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why do you need all this spin? A decent strike with any sand wedge will produce adequate spin, providing you are not playing a stone hard ball. Pick one you like the look of and which feels nice in the hands.