Speedway

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe of no interest but just in case, Great Britain go into tonights meeting leading the pack in the Speedway Of Nations Championship. It has been 29 years since GB/England have won a gold medal in a team event.

Could tonight be history in the making

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Used to watch Speedway back in the day when Nelson Admirals were in the 2nd division, sadly they weren't around for long, Stock cars were more popular and ruined the track.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don't think that I've been to speedway since around 1970. The Wembley Lions at Wembley Stadium - anyone remember them.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to be mad keen on speedway, followed Poole all over the country, but I've lost interest the last few years with all the constant rule changes and the watering down of the top teams. Really hope GB do this tomight though, I was at Poole the night of the World Team Cup and the Hans Andersen/Scott Nicholls incident, that hurt!

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't think that I've been to speedway since around 1970. The Wembley Lions at Wembley Stadium - anyone remember them.

Verily...

Ove Fundin, Bert Harkins are about the only riders I can recollect presently...
Though I am sure more will come to mind after a few more beers...
Trevor Redmond was the promotor...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Use to go to Plough Lane to see the Don's as a mate was a real fanatic. Never really got into it but as a night out and few beers it wasn't bad and if I recall not overly expensive to get in

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ivan Mauger. I think that is right. I've just had a flashback to my childhood and I seem to remember he was the big name back then.

This doesn't particularly add to the thread but I felt the need to share this name from the back of my memory.

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
Wimbledon Dons at Plough Lane Stadium every Thursday in the 80’s - that smell of the petrol still take some back there ........ then the dogs on a Saturday ........ now demolished to make way for AFC Wimbledon new stadium but I use to loveeeeeeeee the speedway - Dickie Davies and World of Sport on a Saturday

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Maybe of no interest but just in case, Great Britain go into tonights meeting leading the pack in the Speedway Of Nations Championship. It has been 29 years since GB/England have won a gold medal in a team event.

My Mum 'kept the books' of Ivan Mauger's Motor Cycle business in my childhood and he, Barry Briggs and Ronnie Moore were Kiwi heroes, individually and in teams, putting NZ on the world sporting stage almost as much as the All Blacks! Sad to see Ivan died in April.

NZ Speedway is a tiny shell of what it was in its heyday!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Ivan Mauger. I think that is right. I've just had a flashback to my childhood and I seem to remember he was the big name back then.

This doesn't particularly add to the thread but I felt the need to share this name from the back of my memory.

He was the man (Ivan Mauger) when i was a kid that used to sneak in at Rochdale/hornets ground. Three weeks of speedway and one of stockcar racing. Fantastic memories for a 6yr old kid. Going round the pits collecting goggles.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

I was there with Mrs BiM in Lonigo in 1992 when they lost a run-off to the USA for the World Pairs, Herbie beating Havvy.

Used to go to Plough Lane on Wednesdays until the GRA hoofed them out and then followed them at Eastbourne for a while but the journey got to be a bit of a ball ache. Always enjoyed Poole, thought that was a good racing track, and would sometimes do Reading on a Monday night. Can't beat the smell of methanol & Castrol R. :thup:

Did a couple of speedway schools at Mildenhall with Andy Grahame, but as a trained road rider the art of deliberately spanking the throttle open on a loose surface didn't sit well with me. I'm also not the right size for a speedway bike :rofl:Glad I did it though, good hoot.

Which channel had it Rob, might catch a re-run?

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just got back from the stadium, was a great night out and a brilliant atmosphere with the locals cheering the Brits on in every race (except the one against Poland even then they were pretty supportive), a real shame to lose as we had the best rider but sadly he had very little back up when our number 2 was sidelined after the first race.

Not sure I agree that 2nd and 3rd should better 1st and 4th, surely the win has to count for something, which is how we were beaten in the end, but the rules were clear from the outset so you can't complain in the end!

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Just got back from the stadium, was a great night out and a brilliant atmosphere with the locals cheering the Brits on in every race (except the one against Poland even then they were pretty supportive), a real shame to lose as we had the best rider but sadly he had very little back up when our number 2 was sidelined after the first race.

Not sure I agree that 2nd and 3rd should better 1st and 4th, surely the win has to count for something, which is how we were beaten in the end, but the rules were clear from the outset so you can't complain in the end!

Told ya!! :D

Normal scoring is 3, 2, 1, 0; I presume they used 4, 3, 2, 0 tonight? Not quite sure why they do but as you say, them's the rules. Glad you enjoyed it mate.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Told ya!! :D

Normal scoring is 3, 2, 1, 0; I presume they used 4, 3, 2, 0 tonight? Not quite sure why they do but as you say, them's the rules. Glad you enjoyed it mate.

It was the usual 3,2,1,0 but when the teams tie on 3 points they give it to the team that has 2nd & 3rd.

I'd never been before or paid it much attention, but the boss's uncle is a big fan, and now we can't wait to go again

Blue in Munich

Visit site
It was the usual 3,2,1,0 but when the teams tie on 3 points they give it to the team that has 2nd & 3rd.

I'd never been before or paid it much attention, but the boss's uncle is a big fan, and now we can't wait to go again

He's obviously a man of good taste. ;)

Never heard of that before with the scoring, I'll have to look into it.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
BiM

you may catch an edited version on youtube, normally about 40 minutes worth, but every race shown.

as for the scoring, it was only in the semi-final and final race that 2nd and 3rd beat first, it being a team event the idea was not to finish last.

I've watched Coventry Bees for near on 45 years, but due to the present owner have sadly lost a lot of the interest, have been twice this year and enjoyed the meetings, my next meeting being at the Olympic Stadium in Wroclaw