Speeding fine.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Since I got a car with cruise control I use it all the time on motorways just to be sure I stick to the limits. It's got speed limiting as well but I don't like that as much.

Also, having a digital speedo it reads 74 when the Satnav says 70 and 33 when the Satnav reads 30

Aren't you agreeing, speedo overreads compared to Satnav?

Doh read it wrong :eek:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Could be a myth of the proportion of a lot of golf rules, but I read a long time ago that it's illegal for manufacturers to sell a car with the speedo reading low.

They don't try to make it spot on and accept a few mph either side, they make it read high so they can't produce one that accidentally reads low.

This is why I always thought it strange having a 10% + X mph 'allowance', because unless you've messed with the wheel size you already have some breathing space if you go by your speedo.

To be doing 35mph the speedo is probably reading almost 40.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just been watching this Car Crash Britain Caught on Camera programme that highlighted many instances of appalling driving, many of which resulted in no charges having been brought by the boys in blue.

So call me cynical then, but it seems hurtling through a 30 zone at 32 is a chargeable offence, whereas turning into the path of an oncoming vehicle at speed causing a serious accident, or losing control and smashing into a Subway store, mounting the pavement, narrowly avoiding killing people inside and on the pavement too merits no action at all.

If I didn't know any better I'd start to think that fixed speed cameras and vans etc. are there to raise revenue rather than save us from dangerous motorists :whistle:

Last edited:

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Herself was done for doing 33 in a 30mph zone... She queried about there being any tolerance and was told this was at the discretion of the local chief of police... Where she was caught [North Wales] it was absolute zero tolerance.... About the only time in her life she has uttered a swear word...

Probably in the reign of Herr Brunstrom when his road policing policies made national headlines. I think The Sun twice recorded his daughter going over 60mph in a 50 zone but nothing came of it.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
lol missed that.

How much over the limit is acceptable? I don't argue with it. It's funny how speeding is one aspect of breaking the law that many people to think is acceptable.

I'd like to know what happened to the campaign to crack down on Lane 2&3 hoggers on the motorway. It's still depressingly widespread, disruptive and dangerous.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The Orwellian nightmare is here and we as a country seem only too delighted to embrace it with open arms.

I am not pro-speeding in any way, but feel that the application and enforcement of these and other motoring misdemeanours needs a radical overhaul. Some common sense ought to be applied, and the reliance on robots and technology without any human discretion should be dispensed with forthwith.

It used to be applied with common sense, a degree of sympathy or a rod of iron where appropriate. Unfortunate Traffic Police Officers require training, take holidays, occasionally go sick, require cars or motorcycles to patrol in and thus are far more expensive than cameras. I'm sure you can draw your own conclusion as to why they are a vanishing breed; I know I have.

Could be a myth of the proportion of a lot of golf rules, but I read a long time ago that it's illegal for manufacturers to sell a car with the speedo reading low.

They don't try to make it spot on and accept a few mph either side, they make it read high so they can't produce one that accidentally reads low.

This is why I always thought it strange having a 10% + X mph 'allowance', because unless you've messed with the wheel size you already have some breathing space if you go by your speedo.

To be doing 35mph the speedo is probably reading almost 40.

It is. IIRC it used to be under the old Regs that it could not under read, and could over read by up to 10%. Under the new EU regs which have been incorporated then it still cannot under read and between 25mph & 70mph the speedo can over read by 10% + 6.25mph (and I have no idea how they came to that). Speedos need a degree of flexibility in the reading to account for the changing diameter over the life of a tyre, or in the case of certain cars to cover the various wheel & tyre choices available. I believe police calibrated speedos were only good for +/- 1mph.

The convenient catchphrase that was coined years ago by the ad men was that Speed Kills. It doesn't; it would be nearer the truth to say Inappropriate Speed Kills. Excess speed is not necessarily inappropriate, and inappropriate speed is not necessarily in excess of the prevailing limit, but the technology we have only measures excess rather than inappropriate speed so we are where we are; along the way someone forgot the old adage that rigid justice is the biggest injustice.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Don't you just love it when the guy in front, who has been doing a steady 30mph, approaches a speed camera and slows right down to 20.
Knob.

Even more annoying when they brake and slow down when the camera is in the middle central reservation facing the other way but they think it's on them, knobs 😂😂

V

vkurup

I got done for 57 on a restricted 50 on the M25!!! Every car was blazing past me and got a friendly reminder thru the post. Was not happy. I have been driving in many countries for a number of years, but this is the first time the postman came knocking. Option for speed awareness was only available for 55 and under. So had to suck up, learn and pay the fine. First set of points in 20+ years of driving .

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I got 3pts and £60 fine for being parked (for 30seconds) with one wheel on the zig-zag at a pedestrian crossing. At 6pm on a Sunday evening with no pedestrians in sight and hardly any traffic on the road - other than the police motorcyclist...

I complained and pleaded - he shrugged - I was guilty - I paid up and took the points.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I got 3pts and £60 fine for being parked (for 30seconds) with one wheel on the zig-zag at a pedestrian crossing. At 6pm on a Sunday evening with no pedestrians in sight and hardly any traffic on the road - other than the police motorcyclist...

I complained and pleaded - he shrugged - I was guilty - I paid up and took the points.

i got done for this also when i was 18, dropped someone off, while people crossed the zebra crossing. still got done.

you could walk around Inverness at the moment and see cars left on crossings half parked on the pavement. watched as two police on foot just walked past a car parked like this last week.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
i got done for this also when i was 18, dropped someone off, while people crossed the zebra crossing. still got done.

you could walk around Inverness at the moment and see cars left on crossings half parked on the pavement. watched as two police on foot just walked past a car parked like this last week.

I parked outside a Post Office - jumped out car - ran over and posted letter - jumped back in car. But couldn't pull off immediately as a car had just pulled in to the kerb in front of me. I waited a moment to see if if he'd drive on. And as I waited a cycle cop pulled up beside me. I couldn't argue with him. However low risk what I had done that evening - it was against the law. Booked.

So speeding - yup - almost regardless of circumstances - against the law. Accept graciously with reluctance and move on with life.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I parked outside a Post Office - jumped out car - ran over and posted letter - jumped back in car. But couldn't pull off immediately as a car had just pulled in to the kerb in front of me. I waited a moment to see if if he'd drive on. And as I waited a cycle cop pulled up beside me. I couldn't argue with him. However low risk what I had done that evening - it was against the law. Booked.

So speeding - yup - almost regardless of circumstances - against the law. Accept graciously with reluctance and move on with life.

Seems there's lots of criminals on this forum so lets be careful. :D