Bad "regripping" experiance

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Ok this post is about club regripping which most of the time is a basic activity for any pga trained pro but the "service" I experianced recently getting a set of irons regripped from my local club is unbelievable.I purchased a set of grips off ebay and contacted my local club to have them regripped as the club where I'm a member doesent have a workshop facility.A price was agreed for the regripping and I duly dropped my irons off last Friday morning and as instructed picked them up at after lunch.Ive had a lot of clubs regripped in 30 yrs of golf and just put them in my car and took them home, on closer inspection when I got home I could see the grips were uneven and it was quite clear they had used the thinner grip tape and wrapped the shaft but with spaces inbetween wrapping and because the grips are thin made them uneven.I took the irons back to the club and then was told by the club pro that "thats the way they apply the tape" when I pointed out that the grips are thin and it simply needs the tapeing without gaps he said all he would do is remove the grips and give the lot back to me which I agreed to as I wanted the job done correctly, why he just couldnt apply the tape correctly I dont know.The same day I spoke with another club pro who agreed with me that all that needing doing was the tape wrapped correctly and the grips applied simple as that.As couldnt find anybody to regrip the clubs that day (I was playing the following day) I phoned the pro who was removing the grips and explained I was playing golf the following day and really needed the irons regripping so could he just apply the tape correctly and apply the grips.He then went on to "advise" me that the best way to solve this would be to apply cloth tape first to the shaft and then the wrapped tape he said this would correctly thicken out the grips and they would be fine so as I had golf booked the next day and he's the pro I agreed for him to do it.I went to pick the irons up the following day in the morning and the pro said unfortuantly they had come out 'worse than before" and the problems with the thin grips!!!, Unimpressed as you could imagine and thinking he's not going to get this right I collected the clubs and left.
I took the clubs home and as the glueing agent they applied to hold the grips on hadnt set yet I tried to make the grips a better shape which I was partially successfull with.I really didnt want to incure the cost to have them regripped again so after cleaning with white spirit the glueing agent off the shaft and heads of some of the irons :rolleyes: decided just to live with them and left them out of my golf bag for the grips to dry.The following day (Saturday) they still werent dry and I couldnt play golf with them,ive never experianced before regripping taking this long to dry and can only think that too much glueing agent must have soaked the cloth tape and need further drying out so left them longer to dry out. They seemed to have dried out ok by Sunday evening so I put them back into my golf bag.This morning I went to the local range and when I took the irons out of the bag was horrified to see that that glueing agent liquid was leaking out of the small hole in the end of the grips on some if the irons and on inspecting the bag noticed it spilled into the base of the bag!!
Ive supported my local golf club giving them work, let a pga trained pro regripp my clubs and had all this hassle with the most basic of jobs, in 30 yrs of golf ive never experianced anything like this when it comes to club work, it really defies belief that they couldn't fathom that by wrapping the shaft with the tape correctly originally was all was needed, unbelievable........

Last edited:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Crazy. Its such an easy job for just about anyone never mind a pro. Out of interest what grips are they? Ebay has rather a lot of fake grips being sold. Its hard to tell they are fake but as you say, they are so thin its possible?!

I could have done the whole set for you in 25 mins and they would have been dry 10/15 mins after that and ready to use.

What a shame you have gunk in the bottom of your bag, that stuff is nasty! Gum and thinner... hard to clear off after a while!

Places like Gamola and others have such good deals on grips and ebay is a mine field for this product its always worth buying from a well known shop, regardless if this is a factor in this case.

Bad luch :(

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
They were Black Widow grips Alex I bought them to match the grips on my woods and they looked straight before fitting,If I would have had a vice I would have fitted them myself and got the job I wanted,this guys been a pro for 15 years plenty of time to get it right! Just hope they dry out for Friday.......

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I re-grip all of my own clubs, and I find it a very simple process. The key to not having gaps in the tape, is getting the correct angle when you start off, and keeping the tape flush to the surface when you wrap it in a spiral fashion. A few kinks and folds in the tape are OK here and there, as it's bound to happen, as the shaft is tapered. I use three spiral layers of good-quality masking tape as base layers, and then the grip tape.

I'd recommend Gamola Golf for your grips, they really are on the ball when it comes to grips, and very cheap too. A local club near me charges £7.50 for a Golf Pride Tour Velvet grip, and they're £3.40 on Gamola :eek:oo:.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
They were Black Widow grips Alex I bought them to match the grips on my woods and they looked straight before fitting,If I would have had a vice I would have fitted them myself and got the job I wanted,this guys been a pro for 15 years plenty of time to get it right! Just hope they dry out for Friday.......

Ahh yes, they are thin!! Meh, live and learn, you wont use him again! Shame!

DCB

Visit site
Am I the only one that thinks buying your grips off the internet and then asking a Pro to fit them is a bit cheeky in the first instance.

Granted the service described and the incompetence in the fitting seems to have plumbed new depths, but, If I was asking a Pro to fit grips, I'd be looking for him to provide what I was looking for as part of the deal. You wouldn't put your car in for a service and hand over a gallon of oil and a new set of plugs and expect the garage to fit them, would you ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Am I the only one that thinks buying your grips off the internet and then asking a Pro to fit them is a bit cheeky in the first instance.

Granted the service described and the incompetence in the fitting seems to have plumbed new depths, but, If I was asking a Pro to fit grips, I'd be looking for him to provide what I was looking for as part of the deal. You wouldn't put your car in for a service and hand over a gallon of oil and a new set of plugs and expect the garage to fit them, would you ?

No you are not!

And Black Widow grips are far too thin for my liking!

Still rubbish performance by the Pro though!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the pro will fit them at a cost I am not sure why its cheeky? The guy could have said "no that's cheeky". If you have an agreed price for a piece of work... why not.

I never get this protect your pro attitude. Most pros in my opinion are not making their students any better at golf(stats suggest I am correct), they are not selling competitive priced equipment including grips in this case. I think they need to get better at what they do before we start looking after them... They are right up there with use car salesmen in my opinion. (this is my experience).

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Hear what your saying but the pro always had the option to point what you are saying out but he was happy to take on the job and my money.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am also very uncomfortable with the "bought them from ebay for you to fit" thing.
However, I use 2 inch wide grip tape, so no spiralling required as it goes length ways.
Whilst I have a garage with vice etc, I don't use the vice when regripping and still get them straight and true.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am also very uncomfortable with the "bought them from ebay for you to fit" thing.
However, I use 2 inch wide grip tape, so no spiralling required as it goes length ways.
Whilst I have a garage with vice etc, I don't use the vice when regripping and still get them straight and true.

Surly it's better for the pro?! You and I buy our grips and do them ourself(I don't use a vice either) and the local pro gets nothing. The OP at least gave the pro money for his service....

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do my own grips, 2" masking tape on length ways twice then 2" grip tape on top, I have a vice and a device that sits on top of the shaft with a laser which shines down the centre of shaft then on the grip, So I know it's perfectly straight. On my wedges I build the bottom end up so it's almost a parallel grip. I've also back weighted the wedges to with lead tape (spiralled) on the grip end first and only so far down, then a layer masking, then grip tape.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Not necessarily. My pro has a very limited stock of grips and is frequently out of the most popular ones so he's more than happy for me to buy my own and charges me minimal cost for the tape and labour. Saves me doing them as I'm a lazy old git these days, I know they'll get done right and that they're the ones I want. He seems happy with it and so am I

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not necessarily. My pro has a very limited stock of grips and is frequently out of the most popular ones so he's more than happy for me to buy my own and charges me minimal cost for the tape and labour. Saves me doing them as I'm a lazy old git these days, I know they'll get done right and that they're the ones I want. He seems happy with it and so am I

Agree with Homer. I don't understand how it can be even considered cheeky? You're buying a product and he is supplying the service. Pro I go to does this all the time without issue or complaint. He still gets paid for the service!