Clothing & Footwear - 12 years on

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Morning folks, I'm slowly getting back to golf after nearly 12 years away and decided it's time to get some new threads. What the hell has happened?

Trainers with astro turf grips are being sold as golf shoes, you can actually buy golf joggers and some trousers can't only be described as "paint-on" leggings style. I know there was talks about modernising things and making it appeal to a new younger generation but bloody hell 😳 😂

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Clothing in general - it now very hard to find trousers that are not narrow at the ankles.

I have been resisting buying new trousers for a few years now (unless essential) for that reason. Sadly so many of my remaining pairs have had to be thrown away as they became only suitable for wearing on a Sunday.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Luckily for you, it's not compulsory to wear those things. More choice is never a bad thing. :)

The shoe advancement is the best thing in my opinion. I remember my first golf shoes when I was 14, they looked like office brogues with spikes on the bottom. God awful uncomfortable things.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
GM just done an article here using J Day as an example

Re spikeless, Couples wore his ecco's back in 2010 (I think) so these can't be described as new anymore, not even by the 12 year golf absence of the OP

On clothing I hope Tour players (male and female) continue to push boundaries and styles, we could do with more players not just taking the dosh to wear mainstream xyz (doesn't mean i want to see everything shouty loud, but non-standard styles are welcome to see)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don’t get spikeless shoes for many reasons:

1) they don’t offer the same grip on any form of damp / wet ground.

2) with the cost of decent shoes now well over £100, as soon as they are worn you bin them!

Unpractical for the uk weather, non sustainable for the environment or wallet.

I own a pair which I use for the range or lessons only as they are practical to drive to the lesson/range in.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

2) with the cost of decent shoes now well over £100, as soon as they are worn you bin them!

I own a pair which I use for the range or lessons only as they are practical to drive to the lesson/range in.

Maybe the most pertinent point. I know you know golf is global and spikeless are more than adequate in the bigger picture, even playing in the rain

Under Armour waterproof spikeless on sale today for £59 at AG and I know I'll get 4 years out of them. Bargain

(esp compared to £47 for a doz prov's at same shop, wallet and environment taking a proper pounding on those!)

D-S

Visit site

Not my experience at all.
I wear spikeless shoes for golf from normally April to about November in the UK (this year i will probably be breaking them out in a week or so as it has been so wet, but more for mud rather than grip issues). I only ever take spikeless abroad. I have worn out Skechers or Eccos eventually due to upper issues and not worn out soles.
Honestly can't see how they are environmentally less friendly - I will swap soon my Ecco Biom (Spiked) for Ecco Street Retro (Spikeless) I would bet the carbon footprint (no pun intended) of both is very similar.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Nonsense.

I’ve been wearing a pair of FJ spikeless summer and winter for a 18 months and not had any problems with grip.

My mate has with his spikeless Jordans, but he’s also gone over a couple of times and has his feet slip while swinging in a pair of spiked FJs.

My Pro SLs get worn to drive to to course and back and the range, I’ve even worn them walking the dog when the lanes round here get slippery, so they get worn a lot. There is still plenty of grip left on them, however the upper is starting to look tatty, so they will see me through to the summer then be retired.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My last pair of spikeless cost £22 several mates also bought them. Only one guy has now thrown his away after playing 2-3 times a week and wearing them in all weathers.

Me I have several pairs of golf shoes and wear one suitable to the ground conditions, I have not owned a pair with metal spikes for around 30 years having found soft spikes to be perfectly adequate.

What I have noticed is the number of pairs you now see that are nothing more than an ordinary pair of trainers sold as golf shoes.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only wear spikes when it's very soft ground (so I've been wearing for the last four months currently!). But once it firms up I find them uncomfortable, putting more pressure on the balls of your feet where the spikes are. Spikeless are more comfortable for most of the year as it spreads that weight across your foot more evenly. And they have decent grip patterns so you're not going to slip, unless you're particularly clumsy.

YandaB

Visit site
I find that soft spikes would just clog up and I would be walking around on a bunch of slippery domes. Spikeless seem to remain unclogged and I've not felt like slipping anywhere other than on wet wooden bridges where soft spikes were just the same. I used to find that I would change the spikes and then not long after something on the uppers would give way anyhow. Spikeless all the time for me now.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't worn spikes for 10years or more. I use spikeless all year round, not a problem.

Now, I don't play at a hilly course but I do play opens at times on hilly courses. No issues.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nonsense.

I’ve been wearing a pair of FJ spikeless summer and winter for a 18 months and not had any problems with grip.

My mate has with his spikeless Jordans, but he’s also gone over a couple of times and has his feet slip while swinging in a pair of spiked FJs.

My Pro SLs get worn to drive to to course and back and the range, I’ve even worn them walking the dog when the lanes round here get slippery, so they get worn a lot. There is still plenty of grip left on them, however the upper is starting to look tatty, so they will see me through to the summer then be retired.

It’s really unlike you to challenge one of my posts.

Re a couple of comments on spikeless grip, it may just be a personal thing as I have a shot left knee and always seem to slip out as I transfer. This is not an issue with any spiked shoe.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It’s really unlike you to challenge one of my posts.

Re a couple of comments on spikeless grip, it may just be a personal thing as I have a shot left knee and always seem to slip out as I transfer. This is not an issue with any spiked shoe.

i wear spiked shoes in the winter as my knees have seen better days too.