Speeding fine.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
the original idea of the cameras positioning was at accident black spots,it would appear that that remit is not the case any more as the two in my town are where its just easy to catch people ,i cant ever remember an accident at either place.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
One of my friends who had never been done for speeding before in his entire life, was extremely miffed when he was caught doing 34 mph on a country lane that just happened to be on the edge of a 30 zone. As he said, he wasn't driving dangerously and he was safer keeping his eyes on the road than the speedo. He took the speed awareness course.

I can think of several roads I use regularly where speed traps and cameras pretty much amount to entrapment, due to poor signage, often dirty or hidden behind foliage. Can one appeal on those grounds?

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yep, and a little more in some areas, they only keep the points off the licence, not worth it IMO as I think it's over 4-days, I wouldn't waste that amount of time on such a course.

You would if - like my wife - you were sitting on 6 points. She said that the course (an afternoon) was well worth it - a real eye-opener that has made a significant impact on her driving and speed awareness.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Apparently, the stopping distance difference between 30mph and 35mph is 22ft. As a failed pedestrian, and I was on the pavement, I have no sympathy at all for those that speed in built up areas.

I'd like to see a £300 fine and a ban for anyone doing 5mph over the limit in a built up area.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not quite the wholesale castigation I expected!
I will take my punishment as it seems to be the concensus.
Sorry to hear about your accident Hobbit.

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
www.johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
The fine at the moment (£100) is based on you accepting you were guilty. If you appeal on the grounds of tolerance I have a feeling you will be unsuccessful. If you appeal in essence you cannot say you are guilty but the tolerance bit could be wrong. The courts will look and say your guilty. The fine will then not stay at £100, it will increase and will the involve court costs etc. You may well be paying more than twice the amount.
Ask to go on a driver awareness course, it will be about the same amount but will save you three points, and educate you. Don't mean to sound patronising but you know what I mean.
have a look at page 131 on magistrates court sentencing guidelines. The 3 points are for speeding in a 30 mph from 31 - 40 mph. Tolerances are not considered.
You will be bogged off with getting the points and fine but not as bogged off as going to court and coming away having lost your case.
hope it helps me man. All the best Tashyboy. Don't know why it has posted twice.

You can't ask to go on one, it has to be offered.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Speed is subjective to many and many abuse the speed limits because they think they no better. I mean those are the drivers who blatantly flout the speed limit on purpose, not those who are driving a few miles a hour over.

Whickham council has put in place a 20mph speed limit through out the entire main street, surrounding roads and estates, the local residents are up in arms about it and to be fair, I only pass through when going to the golf course, but 20mph is creating chaos.

I went to the club the other night and from the 20mph sign I stuck on cruise control and stuck to dot on 20mph, I had, I counted them 10 cars in a convoy behind me. To be fair not one tried to overtake me, but I could see the face of the bloke directly behind me and he was not a happy bunny.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many of Londons Boroughs have brought in the 20 mph limit, with cameras to enforce it. Apart from the agravation to drivers it causes, you also get many pedestrians who now consider the roads their walkways and ignore anything and walk striaght into the road.

There is no joy in driving anymore.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many of Londons Boroughs have brought in the 20 mph limit, with cameras to enforce it. Apart from the agravation to drivers it causes, you also get many pedestrians who now consider the roads their walkways and ignore anything and walk striaght into the road.

There is no joy in driving anymore.

Pedestrians forget metal is thicker than skin and paths are where they should be.

Spartacus

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Pedestrian or Zebra crossings play a big part in the over 30 in a 30 case. No excuses.

The people who complain about being caught do so because they've actually been caught. A moan if you like.

If you don't like the fine then don't do the crime.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thats a different kettle of fish. I'm talking about pedestrians who just walk out across the road at any point just because it's a 20mph area. Regardless of your views of speeding, to walk straight out into the road is just plain stupid.

D

Deleted member 16999

there £100 these days too!

£80.00 for me today!!
Pure coincidence I attended a speed awareness course this morning in Sunderland, 4 hours long, caught doing 77 on a Dual Carriageway at 07:30hrs 3 sundays a go.
2 course in 8 years, no excuses.
Course has changed dramatically since my first one, now it's more about hazard perception than them telling you off for 4 hours like the first.
All fixed cameras are put in place by Local Authority permission, Police can request for fixed cameras to be placed, however, they must prove there are instances of loss of life or serious injuries have happened in that area. So rather than view the cameras as annoying, maybe we should see them as a warning to what has took place there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Apparently, the stopping distance difference between 30mph and 35mph is 22ft. As a failed pedestrian, and I was on the pavement, I have no sympathy at all for those that speed in built up areas.

I'd like to see a £300 fine and a ban for anyone doing 5mph over the limit in a built up area.

You should be OK now with only tractors and sheep on the roads:lol:

My wee grandson made me laugh the other day when he said, 'Papa, I know where all the hidden speed cameras are in Glasgow'
Seemingly his table tennis coach is a Glasgow traffic police sergeant.

JollyRedDevil

Club Champion
Visit site
I was in a similar situation about 15 years ago.
Went to court, wasted 5 hours of my life, fine was increased from £100 to £180 + £35 court costs. Points increased from 3 to 4.
Not worth it.