Speed Limiting Cars

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just reading the heartbreaking story of Karlene Warner (30) and Zackary Blades (8 months) who were killed by a drunk driver travelling 140mph whilst taking photos of himself, his speedo and anything else he thought interesting. I know we'll get calls of 'nanny state' etc with the introduction of speed limiters on cars however there is absolutely no reason that a car should have the ability to travel at that speed. I get the argument that sometimes needing additional speed (over taking for example) is needed however surely limiting a car to 85mph (for example) would be plenty above the existing motorway limit.

In the EU their Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA) comes into force this week and whilst we are outside of these new laws I assume that the car manufacturers aren't going to make a model without this just for our market? That said from what I've read the ISA might not be the golden bullet as some of the options that the ISA can work could be overridden by the driver. Would appear that the only system that would work is one whereby the car loses power once the speed hits an agreed limit.

I would add that I am not against fast cars, I've had many powerful cars over the years with my previous having been a 500bhp Audi S4 however I don't see a reason why the speed that these things can reach should be available to members of the general public who have little/no training in driving at speed. Plus, even if they do, the limit is 70mph so a car that can go 140mph+ just isn't required.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Just reading the heartbreaking story of Karlene Warner (30) and Zackary Blades (8 months) who were killed by a drunk driver travelling 140mph whilst taking photos of himself, his speedo and anything else he thought interesting. I know we'll get calls of 'nanny state' etc with the introduction of speed limiters on cars however there is absolutely no reason that a car should have the ability to travel at that speed. I get the argument that sometimes needing additional speed (over taking for example) is needed however surely limiting a car to 85mph (for example) would be plenty above the existing motorway limit.

In the EU their Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA) comes into force this week and whilst we are outside of these new laws I assume that the car manufacturers aren't going to make a model without this just for our market? That said from what I've read the ISA might not be the golden bullet as some of the options that the ISA can work could be overridden by the driver. Would appear that the only system that would work is one whereby the car loses power once the speed hits an agreed limit.

I would add that I am not against fast cars, I've had many powerful cars over the years with my previous having been a 500bhp Audi S4 however I don't see a reason why the speed that these things can reach should be available to members of the general public who have little/no training in driving at speed. Plus, even if they do, the limit is 70mph so a car that can go 140mph+ just isn't required.
The problem I see is you could limit the car to 85mph but that wouldn't help round town

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am totally against mandatory limiting of vehicle speeds, just as I am against the blanket application of the 20 limit. I also think the NSL should be raised to 80 instead of 70.
The case you are talking about, is very upsetting for the family and those involved, but we are talking about a drunk driver and whilst the speed is very excessive, I doubt the horrible outcome would be any different if the car had been doing 50.
Also, how many normal cars can do 140.?
I have owned quite a few “normal” cars, and none could even get close to 140 even on a 10 mile straight downhill and downwind.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You have to remember that many cars. particularly performance ones, are made for a global market and many countries have no speed limits.
e.g German autobahns where the 130kph (80mph) is only advisory and not mandatory.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I am totally against mandatory limiting of vehicle speeds, just as I am against the blanket application of the 20 limit. I also think the NSL should be raised to 80 instead of 70.
The case you are talking about, is very upsetting for the family and those involved, but we are talking about a drunk driver and whilst the speed is very excessive, I doubt the horrible outcome would be any different if the car had been doing 50.
Also, how many normal cars can do 140.?
I have owned quite a few “normal” cars, and none could even get close to 140 even on a 10 mile straight downhill and downwind.
I’ve no issue with cars being limited, but as you say this was also a drunk driver who was taking pictures of his speedometer seconds before.

I’m not sure the outcome would of been no different at 50mph, The baby and his Aunt may of had a chance of survival, the poor baby was thrown across 6 lanes of traffic in his car seat and was found in the grass verge on the opposite side of the road. The speed of the collision has caused that.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Obviously it can't be proved either way however I disagree with this. If you read about the baby the force was such that not only was their car seat ejected from the car but also the child from the car seat. I highly doubt this would have happened at a third of the speed that the impact had.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
HID bought a new (to us) car off Cinch recently. Its a 2023 Ecosport and when delivered it had the speed limiters on. HID wasn't sure so asked how to turn it off in case but kept it on as she hadn't used one before and wanted to give it a go. It seems to know the speed limit for the road being travelled (with one exception) and there is a symbol on the dashboard and if you try to accelerate it won't allow it. Ideal if travelling in unfamiliar areas with speed cameras and had no issue on the M4 or M40 recently used

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From this month, all new cars in the UK sold should be restricted to 70mph, unless manually disabled by the driver each time they start the car up.

Personally see no issues with the restriction. Might even solve some traffic issues....but of course, everyone will disable it anyway

just reading more...some news sites say it includes the UK, some news sits say it is just Northern Ireland it affects.

Last edited:

crdb

Visit site
From this month, all new cars in the UK sold should be restricted to 70mph, unless manually disabled by the driver each time they start the car up.

Personally see no issues with the restriction. Might even solve some traffic issues....but of course, everyone will disable it anyway
it would be the new first thing I do before putting my seatbelt on :LOL:

imagine trying to overtake someone cruise controlling at 69mph & you can only do 70.. its like lorries overtaking lorries

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
it would be the new first thing I do before putting my seatbelt on :LOL:

imagine trying to overtake someone cruise controlling at 69mph & you can only do 70.. its like lorries overtaking lorries
Have to disagree. We were using inside lane on the motorway at a maximum of 70 but still managed to safely pass all vehicles we were catching by passing in the middle lane at 70. If some is doing more than 70 in the inside lane we aren't going to be catching them anyway so a nice safe gap develops

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
HID bought a new (to us) car off Cinch recently. Its a 2023 Ecosport and when delivered it had the speed limiters on. HID wasn't sure so asked how to turn it off in case but kept it on as she hadn't used one before and wanted to give it a go. It seems to know the speed limit for the road being travelled (with one exception) and there is a symbol on the dashboard and if you try to accelerate it won't allow it. Ideal if travelling in unfamiliar areas with speed cameras and had no issue on the M4 or M40 recently used
I had this on a rental VW Golf I was given a couple of months ago. It would pick up the speed limit (perhaps from the signs or just via GPS) and would lower the speed to reflect that, although I think that may have just when cruise control was on.
I believe this particular car was a rental. I can see no reason why rental vehicles should not be restricted to 80mph, non adjustable. It may only be effective on motorways, but that would have perhaps stopped a tragedy like today.
And it it was a rental, it begs the question of what the people at the rental company where doing. They must have seen him face to face and, at three times the limit, he must have showed signs of being drunk, as well as smelling of alcohol. Surely they must have a duty of care as to who they rent these vehicles to?

I do find it odd that everyone thinks it is OK to break speed limits, whatever they may be, and then moan about speed cameras, speeding tickets, etc.
It is the law! Speed limits are there for a reason and that is for safety. If you break the speed limit and then get caught, don't whinge, and don't try to justify it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought this new addition was an option within the car, to tick if you wanted it as per cruise control, ACC and similar. I did not realise it would default to on each time. That is a little more controversial. Interesting to see how it pans out, although it will not impact me for many, many years (not sure when I would be buying a 2024 car)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have to disagree. We were using inside lane on the motorway at a maximum of 70 but still managed to safely pass all vehicles we were catching by passing in the middle lane at 70. If some is doing more than 70 in the inside lane we aren't going to be catching them anyway so a nice safe gap develops

I’m not sure what great sounding motorway you were driving on but in my experience barely anyone uses the inside lane these days 🤦🏻
Take the M1 near Mansfield/Nottingham, 4 lanes so you’d expect trouble free driving. Not a chance as all those who usually sit in the middle lane just migrate to the 3rd lane.
Anyway back on topic, I expect some form of automated vehicle speed control in the not too distant future.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I read Elon Musk talking about people soon being able to limit the speeds on Tesla's from their phone. The point to this was for parents to stop their kids going too fast when borrowing their car. They could regulate the max to 60mph for example, perhaps do as this bit of tech does and limit the car to the speed limit of the road you are on. A certainly like the idea of that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’m not sure what great sounding motorway you were driving on but in my experience barely anyone uses the inside lane these days 🤦🏻
Take the M1 near Mansfield/Nottingham, 4 lanes so you’d expect trouble free driving. Not a chance as all those who usually sit in the middle lane just migrate to the 3rd lane.
Anyway back on topic, I expect some form of automated vehicle speed control in the not too distant future.
HID driving as I was having beers. M4 limited to 50 for first few junctions (10-12 I think) due to ongoing "improvements" with safety zones so it was all rather sane. Once national speed limit kicked in it was all rather civilised but this was a Saturday morning and early. That said coming back around 5.00pm and no issues either. HID was taught by her old man who was a driving instructor so I think she was taught the correct way for motorway driving and rarely deviates from that way (M25 excepted where it is always every man/woman for themselves)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I drive on the inside lane whenever traffic permits. It's quite relaxing as it's almost empty, even at 70mph. Lane discipline these days is appalling and people generally sit in lanes 2 and/or 3 whatever speed they are doing.