Spectator takes Rory's Club

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nobody has ever tried to steal my driver on the tee before. But I was once playing at West Middlesex GC and a kid appeared out of the bushes on the 4th tee and tried to mug me. He demanded I hand over my phone. I was standing on the tee with driver in my hand... I advanced towards him brandishing the club, then I realised I didn't want to ruin my new Taylormade driver on a chav, so I rushed back to my bag to get a different club. While I deliberated on club selection the would be mugger came to his senses and backed off. This also gave me a bit of time to cool down, and his mates dragged him away apologetically.

For info, I had chosen my lob wedge. :LOL:
The longest club in the bag is always a choice for muggers.
Keeps any weapons at bay .
Lob wedge is a difficult club as he gets closer to you.;)

On a serious note that must have been a shock.

sunshine

Visit site
The longest club in the bag is always a choice for muggers.
Keeps any weapons at bay .
Lob wedge is a difficult club as he gets closer to you.;)

On a serious note that must have been a shock.

I understand your thinking, but I was worried about damaging the graphite shaft on the driver, so I pulled an iron because they have steel shafts. Then I realised that if I wrapped an iron around his head it would be awkward because they are part of a set, so it needed to be a standalone club. I love my putter so I opted for lob wedge as the easiest club to replace :LOL:, but probably hybrid would have been a good option as a longer club :unsure:

It was quite surreal really. The guy backed away pretty quickly when he realised the stupidity of trying to rob a bloke holding a golf club (or rather his mates realised). If he had picked a junior / lady / elderly golfer it could have been a much worse incident.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nah. Lob wedge is better. Hit him in the ankle with it. We all know how that feels ?
Nah,....Deck him, then tee ball up on his nose ( with him holding it-v.lightly),,grip down 3 or 5 wood/ hybrid - after all don't want to damage the club on knobends jaw/nose do you?
Or, after decking him/them, suggest it may be a good idea for him/them to carry your bag and clubs around for 18 holes-AND THEN-buy you lunch/ refreshment!
Am sure that the more uninsipid(?) of you can come up with your own payback/re-education ideas?
Not quite an 'eye for an eye' but along those lines

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'd probably go 5 or 6 iron..plenty of weight in the head and a bit longer than lob wedge to keep them at arm's length.
Swing speed should be a tad quicker too..