Spectator takes Rory's Club

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
For what? What law has he broken? And has now been pointed out if it is some kind of mental health issue then it looks like it was dealt with far better than could have been by some big burly security meathead
If has been mentioned nothing is done, what actions have been taken to stop the next person doing exactly the same. I have read he has been taken to hospital which may explain why it happened.
The positives that will come out of this is to ensure there is measures in place to try and stop this happening again.

D

Deleted member 25172

I always think of Monica Seles when I see these kind of things happen.

What if?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's interesting you say that - I read a comment on the video on Twitter, from a guy who has an autistic son. He said that the way this guy acted was the kind of thing he could see his son doing. Going to a golf event, his son seeing the shiny clubs and then deciding he wanted to play too.

Obviously it is a two-way street. He could have been a nasty bloke with a knife, in which case things could have been very different. In America, there is no way the situation would have been handled like that.

I actually think McIlroy, Rahm and the caddy were just really shocked, and didn't realise what was going on. Fair play to the security guard/marshall when he did get there - maybe he noticed something about the guy seemed a bit off and he needed someone to talk to, as opposed to bundling him to the floor.
I agree with you. Quite glad he wasn't rugby tackled to the ground or anything, and Rory, Jon and Harry obviously didn't feel like they were in danger. I figure he may have some level of autism.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Such as what?

A sense of proportionality is important. It was nothing more than bizarre and a little unsettling for the players.
Really?
And how would you react?..Total stranger wanders onto tee up to your bag, has a root around and takes out your newish driver/£100-£200?/ and has a swish or 2 with it.
For all you know, they're off with it?
Unlikely scenario, I know, just interested in what you would do/ suggest as course of action?
You're on your own and you're with your mates

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really?
And how would you react?..Total stranger wanders onto tee up to your bag, has a root around and takes out your newish driver/£100-£200?/ and has a swish or 2 with it.
Unlikely scenario, I know, just interested in what you would do/ suggest as course of action?

The relevant question is how would I react if I was a tour pro standing on the tee at a tour event. I’d do what Rory did, ask for security and expect the person in question to be ejected. Yes, I’d be annoyed but I wouldn’t be expecting him to be arrested.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh dear, we agree to disagree over this.
As said I was interested in your perspective as to what you would do,, but yes I can see your taking the PRO golfer context ( as is your right )
BTW-wasn't trying to be Freudian on this:sneaky:

This is a thread about a spectator at a pro golf tournament taking a club out of the bag of a pro without permission. The "pro golfer context" is the only relevant context in this thread. What I'd do or expect to be done at my Saturday morning roll up is neither here nor there to the case in point.

For what it's worth though, if someone did it to me I wouldn't expect them to be arrested, I'd expect them to give my club back. Of course it would be an uncomfortable situation, but actually more uncomfortable than for a pro who has security around, even if not immediately and failing that plenty of other people ready to help. I wouldn't expect armed police to descend or for violence of any type to ensue.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
100% Rory’s fault. What’s he doing standing on a tee, not having a driver in his hands? Has he never seen any of us on a Sunday morning? ;-)

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Really?

If he did take it, then it is theft and would call the police.

If he put it back, then I would ask him what he was doing, but wouldn't start any civil proceedings

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This is a thread about a spectator at a pro golf tournament taking a club out of the bag of a pro without permission. The "pro golfer context" is the only relevant context in this thread. What I'd do or expect to be done at my Saturday morning roll up is neither here nor there to the case in point.

For what it's worth though, if someone did it to me I wouldn't expect them to be arrested, I'd expect them to give my club back. Of course it would be an uncomfortable situation, but actually more uncomfortable than for a pro who has security around, even if not immediately and failing that plenty of other people ready to help. I wouldn't expect armed police to descend or for violence of any type to ensue.

My apologies for asking for your thoughts on how you would behave or act if such a situation happened to yourself, or even your playing partners.You obviously cannot envisage this happening to you or your pps--
BUT and I think it's a big BUT, what's wrong with expanding it to our own situation/ circumstances- or is that beyond the realms of possibility??--Just asking
Anyway, have fun,,-off to the library ( looking for a book on club hostage negociation ( and how to spell-)

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
My apologies for asking for your thoughts on how you would behave or act if such a situation happened to yourself, or even your playing partners.You obviously cannot envisage this happening to you or your pps--
BUT and I think it's a big BUT, what's wrong with expanding it to our own situation/ circumstances- or is that beyond the realms of possibility??--Just asking
Anyway, have fun,,-off to the library ( looking for a book on club hostage negociation ( and how to spell-)
I'm sure it has happened - in an episode of 'Still Game'

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think most ordinary golfers would not be so polite to just some random person coming on the course and choosing one of their clubs.
But he would be in big trouble with some of the rugby players at my club.
I can see him being ejected pronto with a bit of a warning in his ear.

sunshine

Visit site
Nobody has ever tried to steal my driver on the tee before. But I was once playing at West Middlesex GC and a kid appeared out of the bushes on the 4th tee and tried to mug me. He demanded I hand over my phone. I was standing on the tee with driver in my hand... I advanced towards him brandishing the club, then I realised I didn't want to ruin my new Taylormade driver on a chav, so I rushed back to my bag to get a different club. While I deliberated on club selection the would be mugger came to his senses and backed off. This also gave me a bit of time to cool down, and his mates dragged him away apologetically.

For info, I had chosen my lob wedge. :LOL: