South Winchester GC

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played here for the first time on Tuesday. Quite a nice course but a little bland in places, lacking in character. Some of the holes were very similar to each other. A couple of interesting greens as well. Not sure how you hit and hold the 9th green with a long iron from the fairway which will inevitably be off of a downhill lie whilst one longish par 4 (approx 420) yards had a tiny green which seemed bizarre and difficult, again, to hit a long iron / hybrid and hold for the average player. (Many I'm guessing would struggle to reach in two though as I did)

Anyone else played here? Thoughts?

I see that the land has been sold to Bloor Homes with the possibility that the course may close.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's a great course to play in the winter, as it drains really well. As you said, there were some points that were a bit bland but I quite liked it - it beat playing at my old club that was usually ankle deep in mud at some points & as both were Crown courses at the time, it didn't cost me anything.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I played here quite a few years ago with Scienceboy from the forum. It's a nice course, but felt a bit samey at times.
It will be a shame if the course gets turned into housing. Unfortunately it seems to be happening far too often in the South.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
It's quite possibly one of the worst courses I've played. Billed as an inland links, can be three fairways over and still have a shot.
A few good holes but that's about it, best thing for it is building houses.