Sound vs Results

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not quite as title suggests as I’m quite
happy with either.
I have been very happy with my Ping G25 driver and although quite loud I actually like the sound and can definitely tell when it comes out the screws.
Over the last couple of weeks I’ve lost the ability to hit it as consistently as I have been.
I purchased a Callaway Rogue and a Taylormade Sim at the weekend and tried them both on the course.
I couldn’t get on with the Rogue just didn’t like it at address but the Sim was superb and going by recent rounds slightly longer the my G25.
However the thud sound is awful and absolutely no feedback on the shot(for me) but the results were great.
Will stick with the Sim and see how it goes.

Question
Do you go on sound or results on clubs if it’s really close.
Obviously if results are much better it’s a no brainer.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shaft makes such a big difference to sound.

We have 5 Sims in my group, all sound very different as no shaft is the same.
I'm sorry but shaft has zero effect on the sound. Your group is striking the ball in different places if they all sound different

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not quite as title suggests as I’m quite
happy with either.
I have been very happy with my Ping G25 driver and although quite loud I actually like the sound and can definitely tell when it comes out the screws.
Over the last couple of weeks I’ve lost the ability to hit it as consistently as I have been.
I purchased a Callaway Rogue and a Taylormade Sim at the weekend and tried them both on the course.
I couldn’t get on with the Rogue just didn’t like it at address but the Sim was superb and going by recent rounds slightly longer the my G25.
However the thud sound is awful and absolutely no feedback on the shot(for me) but the results were great.
Will stick with the Sim and see how it goes.

Question
Do you go on sound or results on clubs if it’s really close.
Obviously if results are much better it’s a no brainer.
I'm surprised you don't like the sound of a taylormade sim. I'm not usually bothered by sound until I heard the g425. Before that I would never choose sound over performance

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
No. Try it for yourself before saying i'm incorrect with experience.

Shafts change the ball flight. They do this by changing the frequency.
I have. I've lost count of how many identical drivers I've seen hit with different shafts. No sound different at all when strike location is the same. When you're playing in a group you all strike the ball differently and with different swing speeds. Both effect sound.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I have. I've lost count of how many identical drivers I've seen hit with different shafts. No sound different at all when strike location is the same. When you're playing in a group you all strike the ball differently and with different swing speeds. Both effect sound.

Physics disagrees, but we shall leave it there!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If results are similar I go on looks and sound.
CVG has a SiM2 and that has, to me, a nice thud on the odd moment he finds the middle..
Don't like loud cracks like the G425.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I guess I could buy the SIM when you get that upset with the sound! :ROFLMAO:

I was also going to say that maybe someone might hit a different part the clubface, depending on the shaft characteristics, but only with a grin on my face!!

I think the sound would have to be really awful for me for not use a club I hit really well, and even then, I might ignore the sound.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I recently bought a G425 3 wood and the hardest thing to get on with is the sound compared to my TM M1 3 (as well as the M4 driver and Sim 5 I own).

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Results are all that matters. I couldn't give a monkeys what a driver sounds like.

That said. I do quite like the sound of my Sim.

sunshine

Visit site

I found the sound on my SIM Max a bit of a dull thud to begin with, but after a few rounds I had totally forgotten about it. Actually I now really like the feedback and the sound, you quickly learn the new feeling of heel / toe strikes (and maybe the occasional one out of the middle).