Solheim Cup 2021

D

Deleted member 15344

Not good though. The golf had been great, fantastic competition and now all we're talking about is a bad decision by an over zealous official and either a thoughtless or classless moment from the USA, depending on how charitable you're feeling, for allowing her to do that.

I don’t think the players have a choice with the referee there and refuse to allow her to referee surely ?‍♂️

D

Deleted member 15344

Isn’t golf “self governed” and rules officials step in when asked?
Not when it comes to these Ryder/Solhiem Cups - a referee is with each group and is there it step in , been many rules issues over the years in both events I believe that’s why they have them with each game now.

D

Deleted member 15344

Of course they do in matchplay. I like to think I'd have said "No, ref, the putt was missed and the ball was never going to drop. Still all square, onto the next hole".

I don’t think that can happen in this event

It’s a harsh rule but appears to be the correct one.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
the ball was past the hole so unless it goes backwards there is zero chance of it dropping

Which can happen. We have all seen balls go 'in the back door'. Balls can go backwards - so there was a chance it could go in. The point is that it is not up to Sagstrom, a youtube guy, or anyone else other than Korda or Ewing to decide. They are entitled to their 10s. The rule is clear. Golf rules can be harsh. Unfair even - but it only works if people observe them no matter what, and dont modify them to how they think they should be, or what the outcome should be disregarding the rule.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does seem like a bit of naivety. Simple thing to do is ask, do you want it back before you grab it.

Its not the Europeans call to say if its stopped or not.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Which can happen. We have all seen balls go 'in the back door'. Balls can go backwards - so there was a chance it could go in. The point is that it is not up to Sagstrom, a youtube guy, or anyone else other than Korda or Ewing to decide. They are entitled to their 10s. The rule is clear. Golf rules can be harsh. Unfair even - but it only works if people observe them no matter what, and dont modify them to how they think they should be, or what the outcome should be disregarding the rule.

Absolute nonsense. The ball had come to rest and had been in that position for 7 seconds. The laws of physics say that there is absolutely zero chance of that ball rolling back UPHILL to drop into the hole - the rules of golf might say different but the laws of physics contradict that.

Boomy

Visit site
I’m now dreading the squawking and mindless ??? hollering at the Ryder Cup after watching this…. I’d forgot just how painful it is! Please keep them quiet Europe ?

Boomy

Visit site
Surely if the referee had an issue she should’ve stepped in right away and not after the hole was completed
As if the European player had known she needed an eagle to half she would’ve been more aggressive with her putt

This was exactly my thoughts too - there’s an official with each group so why wasn’t it dealt with at the time! If it wasn’t sorted during the play of that hole it shouldn’t be allowed to be decided after.

D

Deleted member 15344

This was exactly my thoughts too - there’s an official with each group so why wasn’t it dealt with at the time! If it wasn’t sorted during the play of that hole it shouldn’t be allowed to be decided after.

It was sorted at the time - the ref stepped in pretty much as the ball was passed back Korda

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Absolute nonsense. The ball had come to rest and had been in that position for 7 seconds. The laws of physics say that there is absolutely zero chance of that ball rolling back UPHILL to drop into the hole - the rules of golf might say different but the laws of physics contradict that.
1) They play according to the rules of golf.
2) The ball would not have to roll UPHILL to drop into the hole if it is overhanging the hole.