Sock it to me

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just to stop derailing Bob’s thread in OOB, I’m bringing golf socks into the lounge

I commented that wearing black socks with golf shorts was a no no (saw a couple of fellas sporting this look at the range this morning which drove me to post) So I guess there’s two things here, colour and length (remember we’re talking about when wearing shorts so we can forget about the more formal/classic golf shoes because you just wouldn’t would you!)

Length – ankle, that’s it really, none of this ‘invisible’ socks or socks half-way up your shin
Colour – it’s going to be predominantly white of course but can have a grey trim if wearing darker shoes

These are not the clubs rules, just mine

Tell me I’m wrong :rolleyes:
(gawd I wish I was on the course instead of the office... but at least its something to talk about :LOL:)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Telling an adult human being what colour socks to wear is borderline insanity in my view. Bureaucracy gone mad. They're only socks for god's sake. They serve a practical purpose and that's it. We're talking about a golf course not a fashion parade.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
In the summer I wear trainer socks, totally out of sight. They are comfortable and stops the ugly leg tan lines :):D:D. To be honest though, I really do not care. See not bearing on what colour or type of sock a person wears, far more important things to worry about but to some people it appears to be the be all and end all. Same as it makes no difference to me what your trousers are made of, if your shorts have extra pockets or if your shirt has a collar. Get too much of that having to comply with the outmoded idea of wearing a suit and tie to work every day. I guess one day people will realise that clothes are totally irrelevant and have no bearing on status, manners or anything else.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Can tell the weather is starting to turn when this threads show up on here!

I wear white, ankle generally occasionally ‘invisible’ ones depending on the shoes. The most trainer like ones are fine with em imo.

Have been known to wear, green, blue, black and one pink one whilst on a society weekend.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Telling an adult human being what colour socks to wear is borderline insanity in my view. Bureaucracy gone mad. They're only socks for god's sake. They serve a practical purpose and that's it. We're talking about a golf course not a fashion parade.
Have you ever thought about giving up golf and taking up another sport? :LOL:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you ever thought about giving up golf and taking up another sport? :LOL:
If someone could explain to me why a certain colour or type of sock is so important then I may understand the argument. It is important in all walks of life to question the status quo, to ask why and to evolve if something is outmoded. Think where we would be now if nobody questioned things or sought to evolve systems of rules and regulations.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Always wondered why?

It just looks so bad to the point of giving me the dry heave! :sick:

edit: Maybe its because I see black socks as quite formal-wear and shorts coupled with light or predominately white shoes (& trainer style) is not formal
So its a bit like like wearing a tie with my polo!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't play in shorts very often, usually only when on holiday. I'll normally wear socks that are predominantly white either ankle or trainer ones. Not fussed either way although I think trainer ones make more sense to avoid tan lines.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If someone could explain to me why a certain colour or type of sock is so important then I may understand the argument. It is important in all walks of life to question the status quo, to ask why and to evolve if something is outmoded. Think where we would be now if nobody questioned things or sought to evolve systems of rules and regulations.
I agree with this 100%. All you ever get back from the 'old guard' shall we say is "they are the rules and the rules must be obeyed". How have they gone through 40, 50, 60 years of golf without questioning why a golf club would mandate the colour of their socks?? I find the concept hilarious.

D

Deleted Member 1156

It isn't. It's all about respecting the rules. I don't make them but I do follow them. Play naked for all I care if your club allows it (y):sick:

D

Deleted member 25172

If the day ever comes that I'm turned away because of the colour of my socks, I just might! Not before laughing my head off obviously.

Played at Stoke Park earlier this year. My mate, sporting shorts and black socks got taken to the side by the starter who asked him to pop over to the pro shop to buy a pair of white "proper" socks to save himself from embarrassment as they would have to ask him to leave the course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played at Stoke Park earlier this year. My mate, sporting shorts and black socks got taken to the side by the starter who asked him to pop over to the pro shop to buy a pair of white "proper" socks to save himself from embarrassment as they would have to ask him to leave the course.
I would have gladly left the course in that scenario.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It isn't. It's all about respecting the rules. I don't make them but I do follow them. Play naked for all I care if your club allows it (y):sick:
You can respect the rules and question them at the same time, they are not mutually exclusive. If there were such a rule at my club, I would comply with it but I would also seek an explanation as to why such a rule was in place and if it seemed to simply be there for the sake of it then I would endeavour to get it changed.

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site

But I'd bet the pro shop doesn't sell socks that fit my size 13 plates