Slow swing drivers.

Fabia999

Visit site
Hey All,

I am a slow swinger and always will be for medical reasons, around 75 mph with the driver.

At my course I am held back, laying up at least 3 holes on the front 9.

I have looked online and I should carry about 170/175 with this speed but seem to be stuck hitting 150/155. This extra 20 yards is the difference between laying up and going for it.

I’ve been thinking about changing driver, would need a light one so thinking either Titleist TS1 or Ping G400.

Does anyone else have a similar club head speed and how far do you hit it? Also, what driver do you have?

Would appreciate anyone who has a G400 or TS1 for reviews too.

I will take these on a simulator but would like some initial comments.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Speak to your pro or find a decent local fitter and see what is out there in terms of lighter or senior flex (perhaps even ladies). I don't think you'll find too much difference in what the heads of the club delivers but I am sure you'll be able to find something to eek a few more yards

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How much loft does your current driver have?

I’d think at that sort of speed you should be looking at 12degrees plus, but an expert fitter will help you with that aspect.

Lessons might help, not to add speed as you’ve suggested that you won’t be able to do that, but to improve efficiency and get a better contact on the ball. That’s really the way to get max distance out of your swing speed - hit the middle of the club with the right amount of spin.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’m a senior with a 85mph swing speed, I went to a fitter and tried Calloway Epic and a Ping G400 with various shafts in each, the Epic didn’t work for me.

I think I tried 5 shafts for the Ping the last shaft I tried I said to the fitter before I even hit a ball ‘this is the one’.

When he looked at the numbers he smiled and told me the first 3 drives with the last shaft were all the same distance within a few yards and dispersion were good, all drives were longer than the other shafts.

I, like you need good drives to have a chance of reaching some par 4s on our course, so I would advise to go to a fitter and try different shafts

D

Deleted member 16999

Mizuno ST200X, designed especially for people with a slower swing speed.

See if there is a fitter nearby were you could try it out.

Fabia999

Visit site
How much loft does your current driver have?

I’d think at that sort of speed you should be looking at 12degrees plus, but an expert fitter will help you with that aspect.

Lessons might help, not to add speed as you’ve suggested that you won’t be able to do that, but to improve efficiency and get a better contact on the ball. That’s really the way to get max distance out of your swing speed - hit the middle of the club with the right amount of spin.

It's currently at 10.5 degrees, I changed this about 2 weeks ago from 12 degrees. I was hoping the change would make me hit the ball further.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's currently at 10.5 degrees, I changed this about 2 weeks ago from 12 degrees. I was hoping the change would make me hit the ball further.

In very dry conditions, low might work better. However, if it’s carry you’re after, I’m pretty sure more loft is going to be the way to go.

I caveat this heavily though because I’m not even an armchair expert in this field! I’d go and have a chat with a pro that you trust, I think the best is a combo of a bit of work on technique and then getting a driver that’s fitted to your swing. Hitting the ball better (not necessarily a faster swing but middle of the club) is the most effective way to add distance, a club fitting will give marginal gains on top of that.

Fabia999

Visit site
Appreciate the feedback on going back to 12 degrees.

I'm currently using a regular flex, 50 gram shaft on my Mizuno JPX EZ. Haven't found much lighter than that but I will look into having the 40 gram shafts.

Fabia999

Visit site
Mizuno ST200X, designed especially for people with a slower swing speed.

See if there is a fitter nearby were you could try it out.

Noticed you've got one and from Seaham. Did you get yours at Seaham GC? Its about a 10 minute drive for me, and I've spoke to the people in the shop and they're always decent with me.

D

Deleted member 16999

Noticed you've got one and from Seaham. Did you get yours at Seaham GC? Its about a 10 minute drive for me, and I've spoke to the people in the shop and they're always decent with me.
Yes mate, Andrew is spot on and price was good.??