Swing speed increase

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just searched this, seems in addition to the sticks you need the radar.

You do really need some form of launch monitor as well to measure your baseline speed and performance increases, I picked one up barely used on ebay for £150, so including the speed sticks it was still significantly less than the cost of the latest drivers.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
According to shotscope which has tracked all my rounds since April last year and there's been a few I gain 0.31 strokes on a scratch handicapper with short game.
Are you after round editing?, especially putting in your 1st putt distance or distance to pin of your 1st short game shot

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You do really need some form of launch monitor as well to measure your baseline speed and performance increases, I picked one up barely used on ebay for £150, so including the speed sticks it was still significantly less than the cost of the latest drivers.

So the question has to be will you stick at it?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Because it does. If I am 20 yards further out I am hitting 1/2 clubs less than I usually would be making the shot easier, providing I'm in play.

I'm not a big hitter, I average around 220 off the tee. I can bet you a million dollars if I added 20 yards to that I could get down to low single figures as I'd be wedging into more or less every single green providing I was in play.

Depends on the length of course you play. 240 doesnt leave wedge on long courses.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
STOP!!!!!!!!
The OP asked about swing speed training aids.
You want to have a contest about more distance or less distance? Well, take it elsewhere!
For the love of all that is good, just leave it alone, all of you!!!!

To be fair, no he didn't.
The Op asked...

Hi all,

What’s the best way to increase swing speed. I have been looking into a overspeed stick but thought I’d get some opinions first.

I have a slow swing speed, I use a TS1 driver and my average distance since the start of the year is 175 yards.

Thanks!

The very first reply came from Jenson...

Without knowing your swing and talking in the dark, I would say “technique”

I wholeheartedly agree.

But then Backsticks entered the discussion with a different viewpoint....

Technique is passé.
Its all about strength and power now.

So the discussion on how to help the Op increase his swing speed began, one who says it's all about strength and power and the other who suggest improving the technique will increase swing speed.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
To be fair, no he didn't.
The Op asked...

The very first reply came from Jenson...

I wholeheartedly agree.

But then Backsticks entered the discussion with a different viewpoint....

So the discussion on how to help the Op increase his swing speed began, one who says it's all about strength and power and the other who suggest improving the technique will increase swing speed.
True to a degree, Bob. That's how it began. And then I felt it descended into a huge debate about is longer better, do low handicap players hit it further, does course length influence handicap, I'd it better to hit it far or be shorter and more accurate.
None of that answered the OP, but that's just my opinion.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
True to a degree, Bob. That's how it began. And then I felt it descended into a huge debate about is longer better, do low handicap players hit it further, does course length influence handicap, I'd it better to hit it far or be shorter and more accurate.
None of that answered the OP, but that's just my opinion.

Unfortunately, people just love to argue.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The problem for me anyway is practicing with an aid is great but put a ball in front of me you get something completely different.

You see so many guys on the first tee with a beautiful practice swing, then a horror show with the actual swing😂
I'm very tempted to get some speed sticks but concerned I will just end up with a very much faster practice swing😂

D-S

Visit site
The problem for me anyway is practicing with an aid is great but put a ball in front of me you get something completely different.

You see so many guys on the first tee with a beautiful practice swing, then a horror show with the actual swing😂
I'm very tempted to get some speed sticks but concerned I will just end up with a very much faster practice swing😂
I’m off scratch with my practice swing.

Jason.H

Visit site

The idea is that you work on gaining speed , this will as in my experience transfer to your driver. The more work you put in the more gains your likely to get.

Fabia999

Visit site
I honestly don't mind people not answering my question, I've had a good amount of replies in between the messages so thanks!

Few answers to questions I've seen asked:

I play off 21 course handicap but I've done work over the winter and haven't had chance to put in a card and my garmin app thinks my course handicap is 17 now.

my swing speed is about 70/75 mph. The average is only from the start of the year so I do expect the distance to improve when the boggy holes firm up. I also have a skied drive which went 44 yards on there.

I've looked into the speed sticks. Do pros usually have these? I'd like to have a lesson with them to see any improvement before i spend £150 on the sticks and probably similar on a radar.

If the answer is yes, does anyone know any pros in the north east that has them? Cheers!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I honestly don't mind people not answering my question, I've had a good amount of replies in between the messages so thanks!

Few answers to questions I've seen asked:

I play off 21 course handicap but I've done work over the winter and haven't had chance to put in a card and my garmin app thinks my course handicap is 17 now.

my swing speed is about 70/75 mph. The average is only from the start of the year so I do expect the distance to improve when the boggy holes firm up. I also have a skied drive which went 44 yards on there.

I've looked into the speed sticks. Do pros usually have these? I'd like to have a lesson with them to see any improvement before i spend £150 on the sticks and probably similar on a radar.

If the answer is yes, does anyone know any pros in the north east that has them? Cheers!
My advice would be as in my previous post.
Your distance appears in the normal range for your swing speed, so there aren't obvious massive gains to be made from improved launch conditions though obviously there will be some so it's worth looking at.
One small point I'd make if you are looking for improvement and measuring distances of different clubs etc. It probably makes more sense to use median distances of shot rather than average, where outliers can conceal things particularly be off small data sets.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Also true. :D Although I can state if I added 20 yards to my game I'd be low single figures (currently 16) as the stats also tell me my short game and putting is on a par with a scratch handicap. Makes you think ;)

Sorry to re=quote an older post, but this just occurred to me.

Assuming your course has 4 par 3’s and the rest of your game stayed as it is, you would go from 16 to 2 if every drive you hit finished where your second shot does now.