Swing speed increase

Fabia999

Visit site
Hi all,

What’s the best way to increase swing speed. I have been looking into a overspeed stick but thought I’d get some opinions first.

I have a slow swing speed, I use a TS1 driver and my average distance since the start of the year is 175 yards.

Thanks!

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Without knowing your swing and talking in the dark, I would say “technique”
Look at Juniors and Women, whilst not having the physique of Men they can hit it further. Even smaller framed Men hit it further than physically bigger men. Why…”technique”.
Might not be the response you we’re looking for, but it’s my take on it

Albo

Visit site
How old are you (assuming you don’t mind my asking)?
The reason I ask is it depends on your age as to how fast you could swing and what sort of speed exercises you could do.
You have to remember this time of the year your run out on driver will be limited as will ball flight in the colder damper air.

Do you have any idea of your actual swing speed with driver at the moment? And how are you calculating your current 175 average? Is it swing speed that’s the problem or your launch conditions with driver, hitting up on the ball out of the centre with not too much backspin is important for example.

Sorry for all the questions.

Over speed training has been shown to work across the board, though depending on age and mobility you may need to be careful with that.
I know it sounds obvious, but making a conscious effort to actually swing faster could help without having to do much more than that.
Though I would suggest working on that on the range rather than just thrashing at it on the course.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Technique is passé.
Its all about strength and power now. Golf scores are directly correlated with driver distance. Bomb and gouge, even if your bomb is only 180. Inaction from the R&A/USGA on equipment limits have led to this sad state of decline in the role of skill and technique in golf.
But thats the way it is. Stack or superspeed are the go to. And training with weights and medicine balls - the likes of fitforgolf.blog.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
A friend of mine swears by SuperSpeed golf. Says it's really helped him.

D

Deleted member 15344

A friend of mine swears by SuperSpeed golf. Says it's really helped him.

That’s what I use - currently I seem to be getting a few extra yards but no idea if swing speed has increased

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Technique is passé.
Its all about strength and power now. Golf scores are directly correlated with driver distance. Bomb and gouge.

Maybe in pro or elite amateur ranks, but not for general club members.

I hit it further than plenty of bigger stronger guys because of a better technique, but also score less than plenty who hit it further than me just because they’re not so good at getting the ball in the hole.

Pros are all so good at the rest of the game that yes, hitting it further is a massive advantage, but at our level it’s just about being good at golf imo.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Check out Fit for Golf on Twitter or his website for workouts. 2-3 workouts per week of 30-40 mins will get your strength up

Combine this with a speed stick and PRGR radar to track your over speed training.

Do these and your speed will go up!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Technique is passé.
Its all about strength and power now. Golf scores are directly correlated with driver distance. Bomb and gouge, even if your bomb is only 180. Inaction from the R&A/USGA on equipment limits have led to this sad state of decline in the role of skill and technique in golf.

You write some rubbish sometimes

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You write some rubbish sometimes
Not entirely. There is a point.
Once upon a time, distance used to be all about the search for a magic move, swing thought, position, or a golf secret.
Now, assuming one can somehwat hit the ball reasonably well, distance is about how high you can squat jump, throw a medicine ball, activate your glutes, and develop your fast twitch muscle.

Jason.H

Visit site
I upped my speed whilst the course was shut during the wet weather. Basically I’ve gained 1 club so my 8 iron does my old 7 iron distance. I did core strengthening, speed work on the range but during speed training I learned to sequence better, that and better ball striking is key. I’m putting in no more effort than before and getting more distance.

D

Deleted member 15344

Technique is passé.
But thats the way it is. Stack or superspeed are the go to. And training with weights and medicine balls - the likes of fitforgolf.blog.

It depends on what level of game you are looking at

The pro game it maybe true but the club Amatuer game it’s far from that

I’m nowhere near the longest hitter in the club and there are many that hit it further but I find the fairway more often than not and I have a short game that’s better than most in the club

It’s why my handicap is a lot lower than most that can hit it further

If you can hit it long and in the fairway then you will have the upper hand but at a club level it’s rare

Hitting more sprinkler heads ?

Got to use anything to get those extra yards 😁

I was surprised you managed to get a few necky drives out there 😁

Fabia999

Visit site
How old are you (assuming you don’t mind my asking)?
The reason I ask is it depends on your age as to how fast you could swing and what sort of speed exercises you could do.
You have to remember this time of the year your run out on driver will be limited as will ball flight in the colder damper air.

Do you have any idea of your actual swing speed with driver at the moment? And how are you calculating your current 175 average? Is it swing speed that’s the problem or your launch conditions with driver, hitting up on the ball out of the centre with not too much backspin is important for example.

no problem. I am 25. I have a muscle wasting condition therefore building muscle is difficult and something I’d have to keep on top off.

I have a garmin s42 which tracks the distance of my shots so I gather the data from there. The speed is roughly what I remember it being at the simulator I went to in October.

I have quite a smooth swing. 8/10 finding the fairway, but if I can add extra yards it’ll make big difference. I know it’ll get longer in summer but any little helps!

D

Deleted member 31467

Not entirely. There is a point.

Once upon a time, distance used to be all about the search for a magic move, swing thought, position, or a golf secret.

Now, assuming one can somehwat hit the ball reasonably well, distance is about how high you can squat jump, throw a medicine ball, activate your glutes, and develop your fast twitch muscle.

Maybe it is but that is only a small factor to scoring well.