Swing speed increase

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
STOP!!!!!!!!
The OP asked about swing speed training aids.
You want to have a contest about more distance or less distance? Well, take it elsewhere!
For the love of all that is good, just leave it alone, all of you!!!!
Am starting to understand where your forum title comes from now. :p

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Similar carry distance to me but I'm more than 10 shots lower than you. Not sure what that says.....
Its says you are an extreme statistical outlier. Which is very good that you can play such a good game. I would love to be that good. Being such an outlier also guides that it is not a method the vaste majority will be able to succeed with as you have done. They are basically doomed to fail, chances are. Other than a tiny majority of exceptions, it takes a carry of 250 to reach that level, with normal range of 2hc skill in putting, shortgame, strategy, approaches. Pushing distance, as the op proposes, is a better path, and more likely to succeed for him.

evemccc

Visit site
Not really. The Course Rating takes that into account. A scratch golfer will still need to play scratch standard golf whatever the length of the course.
Yes, the best to play short in your example. But that is a specific case, as my point earlier. The case of the 210 yard bunker, makes it worthwhile for the shorter player to lay up, but the longer hitter clears it, so the hazard isnt in his zone. Overall, the longer you are, the more scope you have to both evade risk zones, reducing the number of potential layup cases, so the longer hitter gains on that front. As well as being having a shorter second. And for that shorter second, playing a lower club that the shorter hitter. And faster swingers hit the ball more consistently. Clubhead speed wins in so many ways. Its why it is the fundamental determinant.
OP is right to explore it as a way to improve. Strength and conditioning the key to that door.

Can you explain the bolded part please?

It may be a correlation because generally faster players are better players, but how does faster club head speed CAUSE more consistent ball striking?

D

Deleted member 31467

It says that if you carried it 245 then you would be 2 shots better since the rest of your game is very, very good.
I doubt that because the longer you hit the ball the narrower the fairways become.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

It may be a correlation because generally faster players are better players, but how does faster club head speed CAUSE more consistent ball striking?

I consistency slice the hell out of a fast swing! :ROFLMAO:

D-S

Visit site
I cannot think of one fairway at out place where it gets narrower. There May be fairway bunkers but the fairways don’t get narrower.
I think he means that if you hit it 200 slightly off centre you will still be on a 30 odd yard wide fairway but if you hit it 280 on exactly the same line you could be in deep rough, trees or even OB, The V that you hit it into is narrower the further you hit it to keep it in the fairway.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

It doesn't
Without a decent strike a fast swing is next to useless.
A slower swinger who maximises ball speed through a centered strike can hit the ball further than a faster swinger who strikes all over the face.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think he means that if you hit it 200 slightly off centre you will still be on a 30 off yard wide fairway but if you hit it 280 on exactly the same line you could be in deep rough, trees or even OB, The V that you hit it into is narrower the further you hit it to keep it in the fairway.
Similar to when wet fairways are talked as playing wider than dry ones.
If the ball stops on landing, even if it's heading toward the rough, it doesn't miss the fairway. Whereas a drive on the same line when dry, will run into the rough.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Drive for show, putt for dough 😉😁👍

I can't remember the exact figures off hand, but Someone (Mark Brodie or Lou Stagner I think it was) compared the earnings of the top 10 drivers vs the top 10 putters on strokes gained on the PGA tour and the top 10 drivers were significantly, we are talking multiple millions of dollars, ahead in their winnings.

The strokes gained metrics laid that one to rest a while ago.

TigerTime

Visit site
You must be an outlier. In my opinion there is no 16 handicapper on earth that can match a scratch golfer in the short game and putting department.

According to shotscope which has tracked all my rounds since April last year and there's been a few I gain 0.31 strokes on a scratch handicapper with short game.

TigerTime

Visit site
I am low single figures. I can state if you took 20 yards off my game I wouldn’t go up to anywhere near 16. What makes you think it works the other way round?

Because it does. If I am 20 yards further out I am hitting 1/2 clubs less than I usually would be making the shot easier, providing I'm in play.

I'm not a big hitter, I average around 220 off the tee. I can bet you a million dollars if I added 20 yards to that I could get down to low single figures as I'd be wedging into more or less every single green providing I was in play.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I can't remember the exact figures off hand, but Someone (Mark Brodie or Lou Stagner I think it was) compared the earnings of the top 10 drivers vs the top 10 putters on strokes gained on the PGA tour and the top 10 drivers were significantly, we are talking multiple millions of dollars, ahead in their winnings.

The strokes gained metrics laid that one to rest a while ago.

It was very much tongue in cheek, getting a drive away for me is very much a starting point. The Iron, wood approach, chip,bunker and numerous Putts is the full story. Not to mention Provisionals etc, etc. 😁

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What strokes actually showed wasn't that driving either by distance or by distance and accuracy was the most important factor on determining how good a player you were.
It was more important than putting but less important than approach play to the green.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
no problem. I am 25. I have a muscle wasting condition therefore building muscle is difficult and something I’d have to keep on top off.

I have a garmin s42 which tracks the distance of my shots so I gather the data from there. The speed is roughly what I remember it being at the simulator I went to in October.

I have quite a smooth swing. 8/10 finding the fairway, but if I can add extra yards it’ll make big difference. I know it’ll get longer in summer but any little helps!
With your condition I would be a bit wary of trying to increase your speed.
we all have a maximum speed but never use it all the time.
you could put a lot of strain on your joints and tendons ( no fun on the treatment table)
I am not saying you can’t do it ,just be careful.
get a good pro to help, it’s what they do .
good luck.