Slow play........ What's the solution?

D

Deleted member 16999

Because people with chaff all to do with their time other than play golf need to understand that some people do have other things to do like go to work, pick the kids up, drop the kids off, get the shopping, walk the dog. The list could go on
This might be correct on a Mon-Fri, but if your playing on a weekend in a comp I have no sympathy, our comps can take anywhere from 3hrs 15 to 4hrs 30+, depending on format etc.
Personally I believe the issue is like others, education, education, education.
I also do wonder why some people seem to want to finish before they've started.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Realistic tee times was our solution. We have a 320 starting par 4 and by letting that clear greatly reduces the backing up so we have 10 min for 4 balls

Ive tried to explain (provide all the various proofs for this in discussion re long rounds) but the key problem for a propriatory course is that the business model requires the practical application of the model - however flawed!
9 minutes would let the early course breath better and make life easier for all - we have 8 all the time which simply results in an inevitable log jam everytime you have 3 or more 4 balls in a row. Put out a society of 10+ 4 balls and you simply guarantee frustration for all but the coolest, slowest groups.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ive tried to explain (provide all the various proofs for this in discussion re long rounds) but the key problem for a propriatory course is that the business model requires the practical application of the model - however flawed!
9 minutes would let the early course breath better and make life easier for all - we have 8 all the time which simply results in an inevitable log jam everytime you have 3 or more 4 balls in a row. Put out a society of 10+ 4 balls and you simply guarantee frustration for all but the coolest, slowest groups.

yep we pay the price for 8 min tee times too, management wont entertain 10 mins :( basically as soon as the group is out of range the next group tees off then they get a nice wait on the bench at the tee of the par3 2nd far too often

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We have about 5 members who regularly moan about slow play, I really don't know why they don't buy some running shoes and go jogging on a Sunday morning. I played with one in the 2nd round in the club championship and he often moans about my speed of play. I was up with him all day long and pointed this out in the clubhouse after, his comment " I know you're not slow but you are slow by the association of the players you go out with" I just laughed!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We have about 5 members who regularly moan about slow play, I really don't know why they don't buy some running shoes and go jogging on a Sunday morning. I played with one in the 2nd round in the club championship and he often moans about my speed of play. I was up with him all day long and pointed this out in the clubhouse after, his comment " I know you're not slow but you are slow by the association of the players you go out with" I just laughed!

just goes to prove theirs fast idiots as well as slow ones Chris

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Cure for slow play? no chance.

Agree with Bobmac that course marshalls would help.

You know those annoying gits who hog the middle lane on the motorway... well I bet 95% of them play golf!!!

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good marshalls can do wonders.

Recently played in Florida and the course had a policy that slow players would be made skip a hole.
What about something like that. Combined with having to record the score as a ten for the skipped hole.

cleanstrike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My thoughts? A golfing variation on Martin Niemöller's famous poem.

First they came for the members who could only get round in 5 hours and kicked them out of the club because they were considered to be slow but I did not speak out –
I could get round in 3 hours

Then they came for the members that could only get around in 4½ hours and kicked them out of the club because they were considered to be slow but I did not speak out –

Then they came for the members that could only get around in 4 hours and kicked them out of the club because they were considered to be slow but I did not speak out –

Then they came for the members that could only get around in 3½ hours and kicked them out of the club because they were considered to be slow but I did not speak out –

Then they came for the members that could only get around in 3 hours and kicked us out of the club because we were considered to be slow – now I have to join another club

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
No doubt, but everyone is quicker when they carry therefore a partial solution to the problem.

Not for those who physically can't carry.......would thin out the crowds though.
Carrying or trollying isn't the issue.
It's what people do with their bags that can slow things up.
Many a time I've seen bags, both carry and trolley, left 30 yards short of the green while the player walks up with putter in hand.
You need to be an idiot to do this not a necessarily a carrier or trolleyer....

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The slow play problem is blown out of proportion (nonetheless it remains a problem)

The solution to the problem, such as it is, is well documented

The trouble is there is no consensus from clubs & players to fix it with only sporadic uncoordinated localised initiatives being implemented

chillicon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not for those who physically can't carry.......would thin out the crowds though.
Carrying or trollying isn't the issue.
It's what people do with their bags that can slow things up.
Many a time I've seen bags, both carry and trolley, left 30 yards short of the green while the player walks up with putter in hand.
You need to be an idiot to do this not a necessarily a carrier or trolleyer....

There are far too many fit and healthy people using electric trolleys and it slows things down, whether they leave their bags down the fairway or not. Making more people may of course be impossible to enforce, but it is definitely something that would speed things up.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
There are far too many fit and healthy people using electric trolleys and it slows things down, whether they leave their bags down the fairway or not. Making more people may of course be impossible to enforce, but it is definitely something that would speed things up.

I don't see how using trolleys slows down play, I always use one and keep up with those carrying without any problem. I can keep up the same walking pace with my trolley all the round, even up steep hills and those carrying will often walk along side those with trolleys to chat anyway!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Marshalls work well - just the sight of one in a buggy and you can see the pace improve. Perhaps something like a scarecrow but marshall/buggy-shaped to save on club costs :)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe we're all in too much of a rush to play the game we're supposed to be enjoying. Why not just accept the pace of play on the day and just get on with it rather than moaning? If you don't have time to enjoy a game that may take 4 hours to play.... don't?

I made that decision, one of the reasons I stopped playing after 60 years.
I don't think I am alone.

You need to define 'rush'.
I am comfortable playing at a 3 hour round pace, that is was not a rush for me