Slow play again

D-S

Visit site
If the slow players can't play because of family commitments, they can still play earlier, but they should realise they will be encouraged to keep up.
At no time have I said slow players must play at the back.
Can you define ‘encouraged’ and differentiate this from all the failed methods that you have repeatedly mentioned in this thread?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is my main niggle with your suggestion. These (slow) payers have have been encouraged to keep up for a hundred years (which I think you'd agree hasn't been too successful)

Why would they actually keep up under your adapted tee time format ?
Yes, thats the problem with your proposal. Other than - nobody should prevent me from playing at the pace I want to play at, how dare they, the slouches - nobody has given a cogent reason for why slower players should be subject to this kind of victimisation and harrassment.

D-S

Visit site
Yes, thats the problem with your proposal. Other than - nobody should prevent me from playing at the pace I want to play at, how dare they, the slouches - nobody has given a cogent reason for why slower players should be subject to this kind of victimisation and harrassment.
They aren't, even if they feel they are there is a simple solution for them.
All they need to do, if they have lost ground on the group in front and are therefore slower than the field, is to call the faster group behind them through, then they can simply play at whatever pace they want to.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Unless there’s an absolute snail on the course who’s lost a couple of holes, what’s the problem. Sometimes we focus too much on the overall time without realising that the time lost per hole is negligible. For example, if you’re expecting a 4 hour round but it turns into a 4.5 hour round, that’s only just over 1.5mins per hole. Unless the group in front is continuously slow, you’ll catch them then drop away from them, then catch again and repeat depending on the nature of the run of holes you’re playing. I’ve seen a group lose a couple of holes due to several lost balls or ball searches over a few holes but make that time up as they either consciously or subconsciously look to make the time. We all need to just chill a little and see how it pans out before we reach for a shotgun.

Yes, pushing 5 hours, depending on the difficulty of the course and the walks between the greens and tees, is a bit long. But I don’t feel it’s worth the hassle of letting the blood boil over 30mins across 18 holes.

On the odd occasion I’ve been in a slower group I’ve made a point of saying we’re starting to lose ground on the group in front and need to step it up a bit. And on the very rare occasion I haven’t been popular when I’ve said I’m letting the group behind through. I’d rather let a faster group through than have a frustrated group thudding balls in behind me. They get through and pick up pace, and unconsciously the group you’re in matches them for a few holes before it might tail off again. Everyone’s (almost) happy.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Why would they actually keep up under your adapted tee time format ?
They probably wouldn't but they would know they had a choice...play later and not get hassled to play faster.
Can you define ‘encouraged’ and differentiate this from all the failed methods that you have repeatedly mentioned in this thread?
At the moment the slow players will get hassled no matter what time they play. If they knew they could play later and play as slow as they want, hopefully they would go for it.
When were you last active in a club?
About 5 years ago when I worked in the pro shop and did the comp bookings. I was also the first point of contact for the complaints from the fed up golfers who had just suffered a miserable 5 hours.
But if you're going to tell me it's all changed and everything is sweet and rosey, I don't agree. If anything it's got worse
On the contrary, I am encouraging people to play at their own pace.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They probably wouldn't but they would know they had a choice...play later and not get hassled to play faster.

At the moment the slow players will get hassled no matter what time they play. If they knew they could play later and play as slow as they want, hopefully they would go for it.

About 5 years ago when I worked in the pro shop and did the comp bookings. I was also the first point of contact for the complaints from the fed up golfers who had just suffered a miserable 5 hours.
But if you're going to tell me it's all changed and everything is sweet and rosey, I don't agree. If anything it's got worse

On the contrary, I am encouraging people to play at their own pace.
OK sorry. I think the best solution really, is to retire the idea of slow play as a problem as such. A mindset change for faster players that standing for a couple of minutes on the tee waiting, or an extra half hour on the course isnt the end of the world.

A point us whether people regard slow play as 5 hours on the course, or waiting to play shots, even if that round only takes 4 hours even with the waiting.

If the problem is the waiting per se, then the mindset change from the faster players sves it.

If its the fundamental total time for a round, regardless of waiting, then only concrete actions that remove elements that take time will have an effect. You could ban aimpoint, lasers, lines on balls, for example. If nobody was doing them, rounds would speed up. All have been added over the last decade. But nobody wants to relinquish whatever their own schtick is - usually justifying it with : it only takes a moment, I do it while others are playing their shots, I would take longer if I had to do somethink else, whatabout X, that takes even longer, but I walk quickly between shots, etc. But the bottom line is some of these new routines were eliminated, then time would be reduced.
Has any club tried them as a local rule : no lasers, no lines on ball allowed, for example ?
Probably not. People probably just prefer to moan about 'slow play' and want others to change, not them.

HPIMG

Visit site
I played a links course this morning. I was first out solo, course is quite compact and you can see a lot of the holes no matter where you are. So two ball booked on behind me and there a 3 ball. Looked like a grandad with his son and grandson then another single golfer behind them.
I was watching them for a good few holes and they didn’t even offer the single guy through and reason I say that is because I could see him a few time’s standing on tee box shaking his head.
What is wrong with people man, just let the single guy pass.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I played a links course this morning. I was first out solo, course is quite compact and you can see a lot of the holes no matter where you are. So two ball booked on behind me and there a 3 ball. Looked like a grandad with his son and grandson then another single golfer behind them.
I was watching them for a good few holes and they didn’t even offer the single guy through and reason I say that is because I could see him a few time’s standing on tee box shaking his head.

You're not kidding about being compact. I doubt I could tell from more than 20 or 30 yards if someone was shaking their head

(but you're right of course, let the player pass or invite him to join)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
OK sorry. I think the best solution really, is to retire the idea of slow play as a problem as such. A mindset change for faster players that standing for a couple of minutes on the tee waiting, or an extra half hour on the course isnt the end of the world.
But it's not half an hour.
If you are a quick group who normally can go round unhindered in 3 hours and your behind a 5 hour group, possibly 6 hours as you have said, that's 2-3 hours difference.
Has any club tried them as a local rule : no lasers, no lines on ball allowed, for example ?
Not too popular with someone who has just spent £250 on a new laser rangefinder.
Probably not. People probably just prefer to moan about 'slow play' and want others to change, not them.
No-one is asking anyone to change...what part of that do you not understand?
And that just shows that despite decades of ''education'', not much has changed.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I think a lot of sensible solutions on there already.

10 minutes gaps between tee times. A group I played with always wanted to tee off as soon as the previous group was out of range. They were a quick group and that just invited trouble. Once lost ball from the group in front and you're immediately pressed against them. Wait the full 10 minutes of until they are off the 1st and it created breathing space for everyone.

Let faster groups through if you can, this is such a non-brainer I can't believe some groups don't do it, why do you want someone pressed up right behind you when you can let them through. If you are having a bad day and looking for a lot of ball, just let the group behind through for goodness sake.

Understanding the reason why you are playing slower than others. Rarely is it your walking speed unless you are shuffling around. Most groups I see that are slow, are because of 1. not going to their own ball and preparing for their shot. I have seen 4 balls all walk to the first guys ball, he takes his shot, all walk to the second guys ball he takes his shot etc. If you can i.e. not standing infront of someone else go to your ball and prepare for your shot.

Remind of a time in a comp, I was a junior and I was with another junior and a 78 year old. The old guy couldn't hit the ball very far which is fine, but he yelled at you if you were in front of him when he was taking his shot, even if you were on the other side of the fairway and not in his eye line, that was a painfully slow round has we crawled along following him.

2. play ready golf, honestly who cares about who's further away. If you are at your ball and have a shot in, play the goddamn ball.

3. Be aware of of the little things, if you can leave your bad on the side of the green you are going to exit, don't write the scored down on the green do it on the next tee. Also one that gets me is when people hit their ball in front of another tee, a hole ahead, and say they have right of way as they haven't teed of yet. All your doing is slowing yourself down anyway as they you will catch them quicker.

Mandofred

Visit site
I wouldn't mind a survey to see where all these slow rounds are taking place. I've been a member at 3 local courses, I've rarely had a round over maybe 4:20. Are we quicker up North? Are South players slower? Are there parts of the country that are just plain slower for some reason? Or are cheaper courses quicker and more expensive courses slower?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't mind a survey to see where all these slow rounds are taking place. I've been a member at 3 local courses, I've rarely had a round over maybe 4:20. Are we quicker up North? Are South players slower? Are there parts of the country that are just plain slower for some reason? Or are cheaper courses quicker and more expensive courses slower?
In your neck of the woods I wouldn't be surprised if Rudding Park had 5 hour rounds quite frequently.

Long course, long walks between holes, lots of societies and corporate groups wanting full value on every hole ie never picking up. Unaware of other golfers, not letting others through.........

Yes, I'm talking from past experience 😄

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My completely anecdotal personal experience is that (outside tourist venues) golf is fastest in Scotland and gets progressively slower as you head South.

Mandofred

Visit site
In your neck of the woods I wouldn't be surprised if Rudding Park had 5 hour rounds quite frequently.

Long course, long walks between holes, lots of societies and corporate groups wanting full value on every hole ie never picking up. Unaware of other golfers, not letting others through.........

Yes, I'm talking from past experience 😄
I've never played there....I don't get out much. I haven't played Harrogate either....even though I only live about 2 miles from it. The only other courses we played regularly while I was at Oakdale was Scarcroft (also a Ripon reciprocal) and Moor Allerton. Hoping to get to a couple of Ripons reciprocal courses that I haven't played....Richmond, Kirkbymoorside.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Two and a half hours yesterday and still waiting on the last three tees, a bit slow but not ridiculous I agree and I am certainly not complaining about it.
Worst area in recent years where I have played has been in Ireland getting stuck behind groups of Americans with caddies it seems five hour rounds are not uncommon.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Easy solution - one player carries a shot gun.

As soon as the group in front is deemed "too slow" the person with the shotgun shoots the perceived slowest player, and does so each time they have to wait. Best person to carry the shotgun is the highest handicapper as the group only gets to use the shotgun on holes on which he gets a shot on - Best then if his playing handicap is 18 👍

Watch out from behind though!