Slow play again

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We are currently trying to look at ways to speed up play so that the competition rounds are completed in a reasonable time. We have concerns about the tee time intervals which are 8 minutes for two, three and four balls, despite it being previously identified that by adopting 10 minute tee time intervals for three balls actually improved the round completion times and reduced the frustration surrounded with slow play. We are also going to monitor competition round completion times by asking the members to put the time that they finish their round next to their signature in the scorecard that for obvious reasons might be unpopular with some, however it will enable us to monitor the situation using accurate information. Hopefully the exercise will allow us to calculate and advise members of what a reasonable average time to complete the 18 holes should be. Golf is not a race or a crawl but players need to play their part and think of others enjoyment of our wonderful game. If anyone is interested I will share news of our progress or not whatever the case maybe !! I will discuss the three minute alarm idea with the committee
Equally as important as knowing how long a round has taken is knowing why the round has taken this amount of time.
Just as an extreme example..looking for ball on every hole adds almost an hour to a round...but itsnot necessarily slow play.
They might all ve fast players who, between them, had a bad day and had a lot of searching to do...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I can see the scenario...
Hello, we'd love you to join...that'll be £2k ..thank you...
By the way.....you're a slow player so you can't play before 9.30....

What happened to good old fashioned play at your pace and if a faster group comes up behind you..let them through...

This is not a difficult
No-one is saying you cant play before 9.30, it's just that you will be encouraged to play at a quicker pace than you might find comfortable.
Just like faster players can play later if they want to but they will have to accept it will be a slow round.

It may take a few rounds but people will soon realise that golf would be more fun without being pushed or held up all the way round.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
We are currently trying to look at ways to speed up play so that the competition rounds are completed in a reasonable time.

The problem is, you're forcing some people to play at a pace they are not comfortable with.
For some people, 3 hours is reasonable, for others it's 4.30.
If the tee is booked solid and a slow group go out first, that will set the pace for the whole day. If faster players go out first, no-one is held up or forced to play quicker.
I can see the scenario...
Hello, we'd love you to join...that'll be £2k ..thank you...
By the way.....if you're a fast player.... tough..... all comps here take 5-6 hours (if you believe Backsticks)
Faster players out first, slow Joes out later.
Never the two shall meet.
Everyone gets to play at their own pace after all, they've paid their 2k

Imurg

Visit site
The problem is, you're forcing some people to play at a pace they are not comfortable with.
For some people, 3 hours is reasonable, for others it's 4.30.
If the tee is booked solid and a slow group go out first, that will set the pace for the whole day. If faster players go out first, no-one is held up or forced to play quicker.

Faster players out first, slow Joes out later.
Never the two shall meet.
Everyone gets to play at their own pace after all, they've paid their 2k
And you let faster groups through...why is this a difficult concept to grasp...?
Me and a mate took over 5 hours playing a social round a couple of summers ago...
We were chatting and enjoying the day and as soon as a group came up behind we stood aside..
This has been happening since Adam was a lad..
Play at your pace but be prepared to let faster groups through..it's the attack on people's manliness that prevents them stooping so low as to letting people through....
People are stupid.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Of course, if there is a clear hole, a faster group should be let through.
But not just becuse a faster grouo is being help of by a full course, and wants to play leap frog, expecting each group ahead to step aside. In that case, the faster group has to learn to play more slowly. And enjoy their leisurely round, rather than fuming down the fairway while they wait to play.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You can only call that if you have timed it. If its gut feeling, it isnt worth anything.
That may well be, but the point is that most players have themselves a very good idea when their time is up…and a little nudge is no bad thing. As I posted I tend to say ‘I think that that’s your three minutes’ rather than ‘That’s your three minutes’.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
But not just becuse a faster grouo is being help of by a full course, and wants to play leap frog, expecting each group ahead to step aside. In that case, the faster group has to learn to play more slowly. And enjoy their leisurely round, rather than fuming down the fairway while they wait to play.

Completely disagree.
If the faster players go out first they can play at a pace that is comfortable to them and will enjoy their uninterrupted round.

Mandofred

Visit site
Remember this the next time you are on the motorway and somebody is just taking their "nice slow" time in the fast lane holding everyone up doing 60......because it isn't their fault, you just need to learn to drive slower. There is a reason you aren't supposed to do that......

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Play at your pace but be prepared to let faster groups through..it's the attack on people's manliness that prevents them stooping so low as to letting people through....
People are stupid.
Obviously.
I agree but how do you police that at the time if they refuse to let you through?
Better in my opinion to keep the slow players and the fast players apart

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree but how do you police that at the time if they refuse to let you through?
Who decides who's fast and slow in your system, is it self-regulated? Because there are precious few people who identify themselves as slow players. Or will they be ordered to play later because they took 4.5 hours last week?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You're not going to fix slow play, people will take as long as they take. We all just need to keep hammering the message that you let faster groups through. So many people still have these preconceived notions and excuses like; they can't let you through because there's a four ball in front of them, or because they're playing a match/competition, or because a 'single player has no standing' or some other nonsense.

I don't really think looking for balls longer than 3 minutes is in the top 5 reasons for slow play.

I’d not let you through just for having your shirt hanging out 😁

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Remember this the next time you are on the motorway and somebody is just taking their "nice slow" time in the fast lane holding everyone up doing 60......because it isn't their fault, you just need to learn to drive slower. There is a reason you aren't supposed to do that......
I agree, but rather than using the motorway analogy, think of a single track road.....tractor, 1.2L Fiesta and a Ferrari
Ferrari goes out first, Fiesta second and the tractor last. Everyone happy

Imurg

Visit site
And how do you police keeping fast and slow apart..?
Back to my scenario....but you don't want to tell players when they can and can't play....

Education is the answer...drum it into every thick head that p,ays the game....

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree, but rather than using the motorway analogy, think of a single track road.....tractor, 1.2L Fiesta and a Ferrari
Ferrari goes out first, Fiesta second and the tractor last. Everyone happy
Not if the Ferrari driver is at work all day and can only play later in the day.

If you lose a hole let a faster game through.
If the course is rammed and you are keeping up with play then just play golf there isn’t room to let you through.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
And how do you police keeping fast and slow apart..?
Back to my scenario....but you don't want to tell players when they can and can't play....
That's the beauty of it, players will find their own speed.
If they are slow, they are not going to enjoy being dragged round for 3 hours so will select a later tee time next month, it's self policing.

Not if the Ferrari driver is at work all day and can only play later in the day.
No-one is saying they can't play later, the round will just take longer.

If you lose a hole let a faster game through.
But that won't happen because the faster groups are out first, not holding anyone up.

One question if I may...
Your monthly medal sheet goes up and 3 of the slowest players in the club have booked the second tee off time...08.08
Would you choose 08.00 or 08.16?

Last edited:

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
We have concerns about the tee time intervals which are 8 minutes for two, three and four balls, despite it being previously identified that by adopting 10 minute tee time intervals for three balls actually improved the round completion times and reduced the frustration surrounded with slow play.
There’s your answer.
Some clubs have alternating 7 and 8 minute tee times which for a 4 ball is asking for trouble. No real chance of letting the group ‘get away’ even if they are swift players. Play will ‘back up’ at the first par 3.
R&A Pace of Play guidelines suggest a minimum of 10 mins for a 4 ball, preferably 12 mins but no club that I know of does that. Even at 10 minute intervals there’s always a group that will ‘go early’, and then complain about the pace of play.

PaulMdj

Visit site
That's the beauty of it, players will find their own speed.
If they are slow, they are not going to enjoy being dragged round for 3 hours so will select a later tee time next month, it's self policing.

No-one is saying they can't play later, the round will just take longer.

But that won't happen because the faster groups are out first, not holding anyone up.

One question if I may...
Your monthly medal sheet goes up and 3 of the slowest players in the club have booked the second tee off time...08.08
Would you choose 08.00 or 08.16?
Re the bit in bold:
What if Comps are drawn and slow players put their name down for early slots? Who decides who is slow?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Re the bit in bold:
What if Comps are drawn and slow players put their name down for early slots? Who decides who is slow?
As I said, it will police itself.
If a slow player puts his name down for an early time he will not enjoy being dragged round in 3 hours and will opt for a later tee time for the next comp.

But back to the question, 08.00 or 08.16?